Campaign: Battle for Naldera

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
erilar

Re: Campaign: Battle for Naldera

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote: Nope, I don't see any reference to them. There's another troop type I've only seen once. In the new Troop types in the Fleets expansion there is a Golem troop type. In the description it says if you are attacking with all Golems or a mix of Golems and Troops in Blur suits you get some bonus. I haven't found any other reference to Blur suits.

Yay for editing! :)
I think I found them! I inquired about the Cyber Troops on the Mongoose forums, and the folks there directed me to a (now-defunct?) publication called Signs and Portents. I scanned the first issue real quick and found some special troop rules, so I think this is what we needed:
sp91.pdf
(5 MiB) Downloaded 168 times
sp92.pdf
(3.09 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Ach!
Sorry, been away from posts awhile.

I will tally my fleet tonight. Haven't read over the rules in several months, so I need to brush up before choosing my 1k point loadout. Are the new costs reflected in the 'Fleets of the Fading Suns' or elsewhere? I'll try to post soon.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Fen's Ego wrote:I will tally my fleet tonight. Haven't read over the rules in several months, so I need to brush up before choosing my 1k point loadout. Are the new costs reflected in the 'Fleets of the Fading Suns' or elsewhere? I'll try to post soon.
Yes. Fighters are now free for carriers; fighter bombers cost +5 and the other variants go up from there. There's also some tweaks to the costs of the destroyers IIRC.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Tom, do you have a GMail acct? I was trying to find you for Google+. :)

On a separate note, Ken; post your fleet so we can start shooting things up!! lol!
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

my work gmail is tmazur@akrf.com
my personal gmail, which i seldom check, is fenilock@gmail.com
i've never used google+...what's it for? could i make myself sound any more out of touch with technology? would you believe my cell phone is rotary? or that I can only read analog clocks?

i will post my fleet tomorrow; i've been waffling between 2 possible fleets all weekend. very excited to kick this off!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Tom, do you have a GMail acct? I was trying to find you for Google+. :)
On a separate note, Ken; post your fleet so we can start shooting things up!! lol!
I'll post later this week. I'm in Indiana, Pa. right now for work (visiting Indiana University of Pennsylvania) and then I'm hanging out with my college roommate.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Decados fleet (1000):

Destroyer x2 (400)
Frigate x2 (200)
Light Carrier x1 (150)
w/ Donatello-class Gunship x4 (40)
and freebie fighters x4 (0)
Stealthship x1 (160)
Psychic Crew L1 (20) - Truth
Marauders x4 (20)
Elite Troops x5 (10)

Background: Bogakov family...if I can find the time to flesh this out.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Crew Quality Rolls:

Destroyer (8) Military = 4
Destroyer (6) Military = 4
Frigate (8) Military = 4
Frigate (4) Green = 3
Light Carrier (9) Veteran = 5
Stealthship (8) Military = 4
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Two tidbits:

I have over 30 d6 that i purchased for a Liar's Dice party that never evolved in the colors blue, red, and green. Being self-respecting gamers, one and all, I realize that offering to lend dice may seem like offering to lend undergarments, so forgive me for the indelicate gesture, but since Lance's destroyers are packing 12 AD, I thought it a reasonable suggestion.

I also have a home-made dice tower if space is an issue. Or if you just want to make fun of me.

The second tidbit is one of rules clarification:
"A Battle Shield may be used by a Fighter already equipped with Shields...(the Battle Shield will be burned-out before the Fighter's own Shield."

Therefore Battle Shields cannot be used in conjunction with standard (read: free) Fighters, only on Heavy and above? If so, Kurgan and Church are currently denied as they have no shielded Fighters, and Vuldrok don't incorporate fighters. Moot at the moment, as no one is buying them. Am I reading that correctly?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

No, I think you can add BattleShields to any fighter. This is the full text: "A fighter equipped with a BattleShield will ignore the first hit it takes, either from shooting or dogfighting. A BattleShield may be used by a fighter already equipped with Shields and will still protect it from the first hit suffered (the BattleShield will be burned out before the fighter's own shield)."

And in the Fleet descriptions, it says "Any Decados fighter may be given a BattleShield for +5 points".

The LiHalen fleet actually notes an exception. It says "Any LiHalen fighter except for the Honored Saint may be given a BattleShield for +5 points".

None of the new fleets (Church, Vuldrok, Kurgan or Vau) list Battle Shields as available Upgrades.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Agree with Bob - seems a reasonable assumption. +5 points is an expensive upgrade for a fighter.

I'm all about lent undergarments - where do I sign?! :lol:
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

The LiHalen fleet actually notes an exception. It says "Any LiHalen fighter except for the Honored Saint may be given a BattleShield for +5 points".
I agree that seems to clarify the otherwise misleading phrases 'may be used by a fighter already equipped with shields' as well as 'the BattleShield will be burned out before the fighter's own shield' (which murkily suggests the fighter has it's own shield).
Specific trumps general.
I'm all about lent undergarments - where do I sign?!
I'll bring my brick of dice and propriety be damned!

Thanks for the replies.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So according to the campaign rules not only do we generate the engagement point total randomly, but we also randomly determine what scenario we're going to play. Looking through the scenarios, there are several with goals other than 'blow up all of the other guy's ships'. So having a diverse compliment of ships is probably a good idea ....
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

I was searching for stat/damage sheets to make bookkeeping easier (like BattleTech) and discovered that while Mongoose is planning on releasing a stack of 'datacards', the release date is hard to pin down (and has been for months).

I found this on the forums:

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/vie ... ts#p711918

...and while it is hardly ideal, it may serve well enough for keeping track during our campaign. New vessels are not present, nor are the new fleets.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I was looking for the same thing but I didn't check the forums. I had resolved myself to making my own. :)