Campaign: Battle for Naldera

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
EvilGenius

Re: Campaign: Battle for Naldera

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:It will take me a while to get caught up after traveling quite a bit this month, but I'll try to get reading.

Re. my models, I bought the Kurgen Caliphate fleet box, so I have the following ships:
1 Khabir-class Light Carrier
2 Yildugh-class Destroyers
2 Sheerkur-class Galliots
4 Qawwas-class Frigates
2 Mujahidin-class Raiders
4 Attakhan-class Fighters
4 Bogatyr-class Multirole Fighters
Not sure if that answers your questions or not - I haven't read this whole thread yet (or the new rules, or campaign rules).

Oooo, those are some cool ships!! :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Do you guys mind posting which fleet you plan on using? I believe Bob and I both have Decados, but as he has made the greater investment in units (and thus, cash money), I don't mind switching to another House. If we get this off the ground, I would certainly have invested in a second House anyway.

Totally unrelated:

I have never created an avatar for any type of forum site, which makes me sad. And embarassed. Help a brother out and point me to a how-to guide? Me want tiny picture!
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Tom, I plan on getting a second fleet as well, and I certainly don't mind if you are also fielding Decados! :)

My second fleet will probably be Al Malik or a Church fleet (when they come out).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

My primary fleet is Hazat.

My second fleet is Al-Malik. I'll likely buy another ship or three to bring it up to 1500 pt fighting strength. I really like its missile-boat style; it's very different from the in-your-face approach of Hazat.

I'll continue to build out my Hazat fleet. I'll likely pick up a dreadnaught and a few other ships to round out my fleet and get it up to a proper 2000 pts for the campaign.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

To recap, we have the following fleets:

Ken: Hazat
Tom: Decados
Bob: Decados
Lance: Kurgen Caliphate
Damon: Hawkwood (?)

I'm proposing that we use the Naldera System that I put together with 2,000 point fleets. Note: This means that some folks would need to beef up their fleets to reach 2000 (I think the starter kits have 1500 points). If folks would rather not buy more ships, then we could stick with 1500 to start. Lance -- I think this affects you most, what do you think?

Naldera is a little light on resources; I'm going to go back into the campaign document and add a few more resources based on 5 players vying for control of the system -- specifically I'm thinking of beefing up the outer system and the Naldera B red dwarf to give a second battlefront.

We'll use the core rule book plus Fleets of the Fading Suns (which includes optional rules for psychics and theurges.

Sound good? If so I will work on updating the campaign document by Friday.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sounds good to me! :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: I'm proposing that we use the Naldera System that I put together with 2,000 point fleets. Note: This means that some folks would need to beef up their fleets to reach 2000 (I think the starter kits have 1500 points). If folks would rather not buy more ships, then we could stick with 1500 to start. Lance -- I think this affects you most, what do you think?
I'm a little hesitant. My fleet box only comes to a total of 1135. I'd probably have to sink another $45 to make a viable 2000 point fleet. While the group seems to be all gung ho to play NA a lot, we were also gung ho 6 months ago...

Secondary problem: since my fleet is new, most of the "non-fleet-box" ships are currently sold out (cruisers and suicide fighters, for example).

Since the campaign is a new idea to us, and success/longevity uncertain, why not try a shorter 1500 pt campaign first? I'm just throwing that out there for discussion, and have no veto powers. What are all your current ship collections worth, points wise? Why don't we do that math first?

I'm not adverse to making a longer-term investment, but not necessarily crazy about sinking all the money right now. I'm currently saving up for at least one software synthesizer (as much as $200)...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Fen's Ego wrote: I have never created an avatar for any type of forum site, which makes me sad. And embarassed. Help a brother out and point me to a how-to guide? Me want tiny picture!
That setting is available by clicking on the User Control Panel link in the upper right of the forum screen. Then, choose Profile/Edit Avatar. The image must be a maximum of 80 by 80 pixels, and a max of 24k in file size.

If you find an image you like and have no digital photo tools, I can resize it for you. Send it to "lancer dot x at gmail dot com".
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

FYI, the Fleets of the Fading Suns PDF is on sale at Drive Thru RPG for $6.74 until July 29th!
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... s?src=s_pi
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

My current fleet compliment adds up to over 3000 pts. But I'll be adding a bit to give a little more flexibility (like getting a pack of the basic fighters and maybe another carrier, for example).

That said, I'm certainly ok with limiting the points to 1500 so that people don't have to go drop $100 in order to participate.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Lance,

You can get ships direct from Mongoose http://www.mongoosepublishing.com. True there's not discount, but they're there.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

In terms of fleets I was planning on running Hawkwood. But I might pick up Vuldrok soon too...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

How about 1000 points, given that Lance doesn't have 1500 worth of ships?
erilar

Post by erilar »

If I'm the only one that's screwing this campaign up, I'd also be willing to sit out. If everyone else has 2000 points, then it doesn't make sense to change for me.

I haven't read the campaign rules yet. If we play a 2000-point campaign, I assume that means we all start with a 2000-point fleet, and when we lose ships, they are gone forever, right?

If so, does that also mean that many of the initial engagements will be 2000-point fights? That seems like a big fucking (read: long and complicated) game. Is that even doable in a normal Sunday evening?

Thinking more about this, if we'll really play once per month, I am potentially okay with making some investment.

Would we have to play at separate houses, due to the need for multiple tables (i.e. several separate battles)? That seems kinda stinky, socially.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:I haven't read the campaign rules yet. If we play a 2000-point campaign, I assume that means we all start with a 2000-point fleet, and when we lose ships, they are gone forever, right?
You can replace lost ships at the end of each campaign turn by spending Repair and Reinforcement Points (RR). The number of RRs you get is dependent on a couple of factors, including how many strategic resources you control. You can also repair damaged ships this way.
If so, does that also mean that many of the initial engagements will be 2000-point fights? That seems like a big fucking (read: long and complicated) game. Is that even doable in a normal Sunday evening?
No, it's random. What happens is that when an engagement occurs, you roll 2d6 to determine the size of the fleets involved in the engagement:

4 or less: 250
5-6: 500
7-8: 750
9-10: 1000
11 or more: 1500

It adds up to more than 12 because when you roll, each person gets to write down a number from -3 to +3 on a piece of paper. The final modifier is revealed after the roll, and determines the result (e.g. both people could choose to put down -3, for a total of -6 to the roll, which would lead to a smaller engagement). Regardless the largest fleet action you'd fight is 1500; it's more likely you'd fight smaller engagements.
Thinking more about this, if we'll really play once per month, I am potentially okay with making some investment.
ok.
Would we have to play at separate houses, due to the need for multiple tables (i.e. several separate battles)? That seems kinda stinky, socially.
My expectation is that the campaign fights would happen when the people involved could get together and fight them. The way the campaign works is that we roll initiative, and the winner choses the planetary system he wants to move his fleets to. Then we proceed through the order, and if fights break out, they break out. On Turn 1 it could be that:

1) Bob and Damon get into a fight over the Glassworks
2) Tom and I all choose to battle for the jumpgate.
3) You seize the in-system comet, and no one contests so you don't fight.

In that scenario, I think we'd just schedule separate game nights based on what worked for everyone's schedule. I know it's not quite as social as getting everyone together for a big game, but that'd be hard to pull off with this sort of thing IMHO. Now it could be that a 3-way or 4-way battle breaks out over Glassworks on Turn 2, and then we decide to game on Sunday (assuming all parties can make it), but I expect it will be very ad-hoc. I don't see any other way for the campaign to advance in a timely manner, especially given our schedules.