Campaign: Battle for Naldera

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
erilar

Re: Campaign: Battle for Naldera

Post by erilar »

Okay, cool and thanks for supplying the quick version. No sweat honestly, since board game nights are usually only 2 or 3 people anyway.

I'll chew on ordering more models tonight.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Okay, cool and thanks for supplying the quick version. No sweat honestly, since board game nights are usually only 2 or 3 people anyway.

I'll chew on ordering more models tonight.
No problem. Im also cool with using 1000 pt fleets. I figure that means the whole campaign will likely progress faster, which would be a good thing for our first one.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: No problem. Im also cool with using 1000 pt fleets. I figure that means the whole campaign will likely progress faster, which would be a good thing for our first one.
Would the rest of you also be okay with a quick 1000-point intro campaign? I personally have only actually played the game once, and this would be good practice for me before diving in. Will also let me learn about the different craft and weapons so I can make good choices when buying more models.

I took a look at more models last night, and sorry but I'm still balking. The two obvious choices for me would be a cruiser and a carrier ($13 each). The full-size Kurgen carrier holds 16 craft, which means another $24 in fighter models. You see where I'm going. As long as I enjoy the game, I'll be fine with purchasing additional craft down the line, but for now I think I'm content with my current ~$45 investment.

One other option. The Kurgens are outsiders/invaders in the fiction anyway. If you guys wanted to start with bigger fleets, I could play with a 1000-point expeditionary fleet and make the best of it - basically be a lesser thorn in your sides / wild card that will probably get eliminated part way through the campaign. Just a thought.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm fine with a 1000pt fleet to start. I don't think it's a good idea to handicap one fleet. If we roll a large engagement and I outgun Lance by 500 pts, it's incredibly unfair and will result in significant losses that he may not be able to recover from. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

So, use all of the new rules, put together a 1000 pt fleet and let's rumble!! :). Ken, maybe we don't need additional strategic resources if we're going with a 1000 pt game.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's the updated Naldera document, with a few minor edits. The number of resources remains the same; per Bob's post I think we've got enough targets if we're fighting 1000 point fleets.

Next up: Fleet Rosters. Everyone should post their 1000 point fleets to this thread. As part of this process we'll roll randomly for crew quality (see page 75 of the core Call to Arms: Fading Suns rules).

We can use this online die roller to generate the results.

http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/index.php

I volunteer to be campaign manager, so send a copy of your roles to nukehavoc@gmail.com with a subject line like:

Naldera: SHIP NAME/CLASS

(yes, I name all my ships. :))
Attachments
Naldera_rev2.pdf
(69.68 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Decados Fleet: 1000 pts

Tupok'ta Destroyer 200
+ 4 Marauders 20
+ Theurgic Crew x3 75
(Fading, Mend Vessel, Zak's Eyes)
Tupok'ta Destroyer 200
+ 3 Marauders 15
Hyram Lt Carrier 150
+ 8 Subiaco Fighters
4 with Battleshields 20
Mantis Frigate 100
Mantis Frigate 100
Reaper Raider 60
Reaper Raider 60

Total Points: 1000

(Adjusted point total to reflect updated cost of the Destroyers, from 180 to 200. Removed the BattleShields from the fighters to pay for the increased cost.)

(Edit: Changed Monitor down to Raider to save 15 pts, reduced Mauraders on the 2nd Destroyer for 5 pts, added Battleshields back to 4 fighters for +20 pts)
Last edited by EvilGenius on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Here is my fleet:

Griffin-class Destroyer HSS Podvishni 220
Griffin -class Destroyer HSS Poslushni 220
Griffin -class Destroyer HSS Prosorlivi 220
Hornet -class Frigate HSS Gilyak 100
Hornet -class Frigate HSS Voevoda 100
Wayfarer -class Scout HSS Sampo 50
Wayfarer -class Scout HSS Murtaja 50
8 Marauders 40
Total 1000

So for background, my fleet originates from the Hawkwood world of Leminkainen. So I gave all my ships Finnish names. The destroyers are named after WW1 Finnish Navy Destroyers, Frigates after WW1 Finnish Gunboats, and Scouts after WW1 era Finnish icebreakers.

Damon.
Last edited by Lars Porsenna on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Rolls for Crew Quality are as follows:

Destroyer #1 (with Theurgic crew) = 7 (Military Grade)
Destroyer #2 = 3 (Green)
Carrier = 10 (Veteren)
Mantis #1 = 8 (Military Grade)
Mantis #2 = 11 (Elite)
Monitor #1 = 11 (Elite)
Reaper = 7 (Military)

* Edit - Rerolled Mantis 1 crew quality because I couldn't find it. Emailed results to Ken via the link he provided.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Have you guys seen rules for Cyber Troops anywhere?? Referred to in my Kurgan fleet list, but searching both rules PDFs for the string "cyber", no dice.
Last edited by erilar on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Lance's 1000-pt Kurgan Fleet:

Khabir-class Light Carrier 1
Yildugh-class Destroyers 2
Sheerkur-class Galliots 1
Qawwas-class Frigates 3
Mujahidin-class Raiders 2
Attakhan-class Fighters 4
Bogatyr-class Multirole Fighters 4
Elite Marines 25
Grimsons 4
TOTAL 1000 pts even
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Have you guys seen rules for Cyber Troops anywhere?? Referred to in my Kurgan fleet list, but searching both rules PDFs for the string "cyber", no dice.
Nope, I don't see any reference to them. There's another troop type I've only seen once. In the new Troop types in the Fleets expansion there is a Golem troop type. In the description it says if you are attacking with all Golems or a mix of Golems and Troops in Blur suits you get some bonus. I haven't found any other reference to Blur suits.

Yay for editing! :)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

F.Y.I.

If anybody doesn't have a reliable vendor or just doesn't trust the interwebs, I can order minis and books through Compleat Strategist and give them to Ken or Damon to distribute to the group (since I'm not present at 99% of the gatherings). They told me today they can get them 'within 2 days'. I almost want to order more to call their bluff. Prices are pretty much MSRP.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

The temptation is there, but I spent more money than I should have buying model kits (but they were on sale! How could I pass that up?!?), so I'll keep that one on the back burner...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Fen's Ego wrote:F.Y.I.

If anybody doesn't have a reliable vendor or just doesn't trust the interwebs, I can order minis and books through Compleat Strategist and give them to Ken or Damon to distribute to the group (since I'm not present at 99% of the gatherings). They told me today they can get them 'within 2 days'. I almost want to order more to call their bluff. Prices are pretty much MSRP.
Good to know. I don't expect to buy any more ships until the current campaign is over, and we see if everyone's interested in a larger point campaign. At that point I'll likely pick up a Hazat dreadnaught and perhaps get a few ships to beef up my secondary fleet.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken, did you get the crew quality rolls that I emailed you? Because they didn't come to my cc address. And I forgot what one of the rolls was.