Campaign Kickoff

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
Fen's Ego

Re: Campaign Kickoff

Post by Fen's Ego »

Admiral Lance-ahmed: "We claim the Nalderan jumpgate in the name of the Kurgen Kaliphate! Bring it, infidel jackals!"
Kontr Admiral Trofim Bogakov: "I am afraid this thing shall not be. Where is your spirit of free enterprise? Come, cool your inner fire on a target much more befitting your warrior ancestry, how do you say лед ведро. No? Ah, then we dance."

Translation - Tom opposes.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Admiral Ellington declines to advance on the Jumpgate. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Oh great. Looks like I'm last...again...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Admiral Ellington declines to advance on the Jumpgate. :)
So want is your action Bob? You can choose to occupy another strategic location.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Assuming that Damon doesn't want to move to the Jump Gate, then Lance and Tom will fight out this battle. Guys -- I leave it to you to coordinate that fight. I suggest we try and knock out campaign engagements within a month's time (so just to pick an arbitrary date ... how about 9/15 for first campaign battles to be concluded?)

I know August is a crazy time for all of us, so anything quicker than that seems unrealistic to me. :)
Fen's Ego wrote:
Admiral Lance-ahmed: "We claim the Nalderan jumpgate in the name of the Kurgen Kaliphate! Bring it, infidel jackals!"
Kontr Admiral Trofim Bogakov: "I am afraid this thing shall not be. Where is your spirit of free enterprise? Come, cool your inner fire on a target much more befitting your warrior ancestry, how do you say лед ведро. No? Ah, then we dance."

Translation - Tom opposes.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Admiral Ellington declines to advance on the Jumpgate. :)
So want is your action Bob? You can choose to occupy another strategic location.
No, I dont think so. We all have to decide if we are going to contest Lance's bid for the Jumpgate first. Then Tom can choose a strategic target himself and we all get to decide if we are going to contest that one. Then I get to choose and everyone decides, then you choose a target and we decide and finally Damon chooses a target and we all decide.

If our fleets were large enough, we could conceivably fight 5 battles per campaign turn.

So Ken has to decide if he will join the fight for the Jumpgate. Then Damon decides if he wants to join the fight for the Jumpgate.

Then Tom can declare he is attacking a different objective.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

From page 75,
Select Targets
The player who won the Initiative phase selects any one Strategic Target that he does not currently possess. If this target belongs to another player, he will fight a battle with that player’s fleet in the next phase. If it is currently unoccupied, the next player in the Initiative order may decide to also occupy it, in which case, they both fight a battle in the next phase. If this player chooses not to, the choice falls to the next player in the Initiative order and so on. If the attacking player is not challenged in this way, he gains the Strategic Targetautomatically without a fight!

Once it has been decided what the player who won the Initiative is doing, the next player in Initiative order chooses a Strategic Target and follows the same process. He may not choose a Strategic Target that has already been nominated by previous player in this turn.
(emphasis mine)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I don't think Tom could declare he was attacking another target. The rules state you select one Strategic Target on your turn, it doesnt say you keep going through the order until out of targets. I assume that selecting another target is done on another turn, but some research may be in order.

You're right that we each have to chose to attack or pass on an engagement, I was skipping that bit. :)
The player who won the Initiative phase selects any one Strategic Target that he does not currently possess. If this target belongs to another player, he will fight a battle with that player's fleet in the next phase.

If it is currently unoccupied, the next player in the Initiative order may decide to also occupy it, in which case, they both fight a battle in the next phase. If this player chooses not to, the choice falls to the next player in the Initiative order and so on. If the attacking player is not challenged in this way, he gains the Strategic Target automatically without a fight!

Once it has been decided what the player who won the Initiative is doing, the next player in Initiative order chooses a Strategic Target and follows the same process. He may not choose a Strategic Target that has already been nominated by previous player in this turn.

In this way, a Campaign Turn may be fairly light in combat if most players choose to occupy spare Strategic Targets and do not challenge one another much. On the other hand, a player may find himself having to fight multiple battles in the same turn if the other players all turn against him and launch attacks on several Strategic targets he possesses!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Not challenging the jump gate. Damon, you joining that fray?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:I don't think Tom could declare he was attacking another target. The rules state you select one Strategic Target on your turn, it doesnt say you keep going through the order until out of targets. I assume that selecting another target is done on another turn, but some research may be in order.
This is how I read the rules.

When Lance declares he is attacking the JumpGate, Tom can't declare he is attacking another target (yet). First Tom, and the rest of us, respond to Lance's choice. THEN Tom makes his choice and we all decide how to respond, and so on.

Select Targets:
1a) Lance chooses a target. 1b) We all decide to oppose or let him take it (in initiative order).
2a) Tom chooses a target. 2b) We all decide to oppose or let him take it.
3a) Bob chooses a target. 3b) We all decide to oppose or let him take it.
4a) Ken chooses a target. 4b) We all decide to oppose or let him take it.
5a) Damon chooses a target. 5b) We all decide to oppose or let him take it.

I'm getting that interpretation from this part of the rules.
The player who won the Initiative phase selects any one Strategic Target (1a) that he does not currently possess. If this target belongs to another player, he will fight a battle with that player’s fleet in the next phase. If it is currently unoccupied, the next player in the Initiative order may decide to also occupy it, in which case, they both fight a battle in the next phase. If this player chooses not to, the choice falls to the next player in the Initiative order and so on (1b). If the attacking player is not challenged in this way, he gains the Strategic Targetautomatically without a fight!

Once it has been decided what the player who won the Initiative is doing, the next player in Initiative order chooses a Strategic Target and follows the same process (2a). He may not choose a Strategic Target that has already been nominated by previous player in this turn.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

If we were all sitting around a table at the same time, I don't think this part would be as confusing. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:If we were all sitting around a table at the same time, I don't think this part would be as confusing. :)
Hmm. Ok, I see what you mean. I thought you were saying you selected multiple Strategic Targets on a turn, but in reality you can respond to other people's choices AND make one choice of your own. That said, with only 1000 point fleets it'd be really easy to spread yourself too thin.

Thanks for clarifying.
erilar

Post by erilar »

(My impression of the campaign turn rules mirrored Bob's.)

So, first step will be clarifying whether anyone else wishes to intercept my move on the jump gate?

If not, it will then be Tom's turn to declare his Strategic Target (if any).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

NukeHavoc wrote:Not challenging the jump gate. Damon, you joining that fray?
Not challenging at this time.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
erilar

Post by erilar »

Okay, that means it is now Tom's turn to declare his Strategic Objective (if any).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer