Turn 1 Battles!

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
erilar

Re: Turn 1 Battles!

Post by erilar »

We have taken our second turn of movement, and are now in firing range, so we'll pick up with turn 2 shooting phase.

We took a bunch of pictures of the board, so hopefully we'll be able to set things back up again in a similar configuration.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken, how do you want to handle end of turn stuff? For example, if I spend XP dice on Refitting, I roll 2d6 for the result. I assume we can use the secure dice roller and email the results to you, right?

Also, with our R&R points, we can purchase new ships, expanding beyond our initial fleet size. But we had previously decided that the engagement cap for any specific battle was still going to be 1000 pts, right? So additional ships may expand our flexibility or our ability to engage multiple targets per turn but not to overwhelm someone by fielding more ships than they have, right?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, I have 27 R&R points, 25 if Lance succeeds in taking control of the Jumpgate. I will purchase these ships:

The Nerull
Nightwing Stealthship, base cost 160, + 12 Marauders @ +5 each = 160+60= 220 points. That's 22 R&R points, less my 10% discount for holding the Devil's Tear (rounded up) for a final R&R cost of 19 points.

That leaves me 6 or 8 R&R points.

I will also purchase 4 marauders for the Trithereon (for a full compliment of 8 marauders), 5 marauders for the Mayaheine (for a full compliment of 8 marauders), 4 battleshields for my remaining fighters and 1 marauder for the Phyton. The cost is 20 pts + 25 pts + 20 pts + 5 pts = 70 pts. That's 7 R&R points less the 10% discount of 1 RR point = 6 RR points spent.

That possibly leaves me 2 points for next round, depending on the outcome of Lance's battle.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hmm, a thought occurs to me. Can we use R&R points to purchase upgrades for ships already in play? For example, if I wanted to purchase battleshields for the 4 fighters that don't have them, that would be 20 points, which would be 2 R&R points. Or adding a few more Marauders to strategic ships, at +5 points each, that would be 2 marauders per R&R point.

I don't see a problem with doing this, but if people do add upgrades to existing ships, they just have to make sure they use the new, higher point total for the ship when figuring out what to take to specific battles.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

EvilGenius wrote:Hmm, a thought occurs to me. Can we use R&R points to purchase upgrades for ships already in play? For example, if I wanted to purchase battleshields for the 4 fighters that don't have them, that would be 20 points, which would be 2 R&R points. Or adding a few more Marauders to strategic ships, at +5 points each, that would be 2 marauders per R&R point.

I don't see a problem with doing this, but if people do add upgrades to existing ships, they just have to make sure they use the new, higher point total for the ship when figuring out what to take to specific battles.

Is there any sort of time factor with upgrading ships like that, Bob? For instance, does that mean they have to sit out a turn to get retro-fitted, or anything?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Hmm, a thought occurs to me. Can we use R&R points to purchase upgrades for ships already in play? For example, if I wanted to purchase battleshields for the 4 fighters that don't have them, that would be 20 points, which would be 2 R&R points. Or adding a few more Marauders to strategic ships, at +5 points each, that would be 2 marauders per R&R point.

Is there any sort of time factor with upgrading ships like that, Bob? For instance, does that mean they have to sit out a turn to get retro-fitted, or anything?
There doesn't seem to be. If you buy new ships you're actually requisitioning them from your Noble House Central Command, which is assumed to be somewhere out of system. And you get the new ships right away. So I would think you would get the upgrades to existing ships the same way. And the upgrades are mostly 'add marauders' or 'add battle shields to a fighter'. If you requisition and pay for the upgrades, I think they should be available right away.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I asked on the Mongoose forums about adding upgrades to your existing ships and someone from Mongoose responded that yes, you can purchase upgrades for your existing ships just the same as you would purchase a new ship. They also pointed out that you only get one +10 bonus to R&R points for capturing a strategic target. If you capture 2 targets you still only get +10, not +20.

Accordingly, I adjusted my comments on which ships I would be purchasing at the end of the turn. :)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Surfing the Mongoose forums, I came across this really cool reference sheet (as well as Bob's posted questions):

http://limeydragon.com/pdf/ACTA/NobleAr ... %20C5A.pdf

I'm not encouraged by the ratio of ACTA: Star Fleet posts to ACTA: Noble Armada posts. I hope support continues.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."