Decados Superiority

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
EvilGenius

Decados Superiority

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken and I played a 1000pt fleet engagement last night. We used terrain (dust cloud, asteroid field and planet). The dust cloud was awesome and REALLY affected the fight. There were a lot of missed shots on both sides due to the 2+ stealth.

But again we found that the Decados Tupok'ta Destroyers were just overpowering. I was running two Destroyers, flying in tight formation so they were mostly able to target the same ships with the 6 AD, Accurate, Multihit 3 Slug Guns. It's just unfair.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Re: Decados Superiority

Post by NukeHavoc »

I want a rematch. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, for my next 1000 point fleet I'm bringing 5 Destroyers. :D

And you can bring 1400 pts ...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I certainly think that there are effective strategies to use against my destroyers. They're not invincible, by any means. But fighting them REQUIRES you to use a few very specific strategies or else the destroyers just tear you apart. In looking through the fleet lists, I don't see any other ships that can make that claim, regardless of point cost.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I agree. They are brutal at close range, no doubt about it, and maintaining an effective distance -- close enough to hit with long range guns, but outside of your 16" close firing range -- can be a challenge, particularly for fleets that down have the long 36" guns.

I think terrain was huge. We rolled a dust cloud (12"x12"), and asteroid field (12"x12") and a planet. The latter two did not come into play, but the dust cloud had significant impact on the fight. Even one or two misses can be huge when you're trying to take out Bob's destroyers. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

You know, if the weapon banks were 4 AD instead of 6 AD, I think the ship would be a lot more balanced. If 3 or 4 dice out of 6 exceed the hull score thats 9 or 12 hits. If all 6 dice exceed the hull, you're looking at 18 hits. If the weapons are 4 AD, you may only be getting 2 or 3 dice exceeding the hull score. That would mean 6 or 9 hits going internal. If all 4 dice hit, it would still be an impressive 12 dice going in.

I'm not suggesting that we change the ship as printed (yet). But I'm thinking about it. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Church fleet with lots of heat guns... cook the crews from far away and they can't shoot at you anymore.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

setanta14 wrote:Church fleet with lots of heat guns... cook the crews from far away and they can't shoot at you anymore.
I do like the Church fleets but the Heat Guns are automatically Inaccurate against any ship with active Shields. So with the hull of 5, that means you only hit on a 6. So even with big banks of guns, you don't have that many hits. It CAN work but the odds are against it.

Of course, odds don't count for a hill of beans if it's you rolling, Nate. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I don't really know what I'm talking about anyway... I've seen 15 minutes of the game being played, and never looked at the rules. I was just looking at the minis online, wondering why they are so expensive.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

The prices are around average for a ship-minis game.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I just noticed that most of the ships come in packs of multiple figures... but still, $20 for a single cruiser figure that isn't as detailed as a fantasy RPG mini? And you need to buy the bases separate?
Lars Porsenna wrote:The prices are around average for a ship-minis game.

Damon.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

They come with the bases, unless something changed very recently. And the cruisers are often multipart and a nice size chunk of metal.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Seems like the fleet box sets are pretty good deals... maybe after Crimmas I'll consider it.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

setanta14 wrote:Seems like the fleet box sets are pretty good deals... maybe after Crimmas I'll consider it.
It's a pretty fun system. And the box set is really all you need for a well rounded fleet, albeit a lower point value fleet. Lance just has the boxed set for his fleet, I think. It's more than enough for a 1000pt fleet, and with one additional purchase you can easily have a 1500pt fleet.
erilar

Post by erilar »

My fleet (Kurgen) is largely based around the new heat blasters, and they didn't work worth a crap against Bob's Decados destroyers.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer