First Impressions?

The former Blackrazor addiction.
erilar

First Impressions?

Post by erilar »

So, you guys have heard my opinions. What do you guys think so far?

(Jon, send me a PM with your dad's T-horn character names.)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

No idea. All I did was extricate myself from the middle of the Plaguelands and hitch a ride back to Stormwind to check out the old digs. :)

I don't even know how to GET to the new content, much less jump right in and start questing.

In looking at my stuff last night I felt a little overwhelmed, honestly. I have a full quest log of things that I hadn't finished and tons of quest items filling up my inventory. I've got crafting goals that I still have to meet and I have to figure out my gear again, not to mention re-assigning all of my Talents (most of which have changed significantly). THEN I have to figure out all of my spells again!!

Oh, and apparantly one of the numerous changes they've made to the Paladin class took my mount away, so I have to figure out how to get my horsie back, too. :(

It's going to take some time before I get to the new stuff, I think.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Makes me wonder if I should load the game up on my laptop...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Damon, you should definitely load the game, and then, you know, play it. :)

Bob, I was feeling some of that overwhelming bit myself last night when I was getting started. I had to re-do talents, re-figure out how all my abilities and such worked, etc.

However, once you get past that, stuff will be amazing. I really liked the Burning Crusade stuff, and what I've seen in my little bit of the WotLK stuff is even better than that. Hang in there, it should be much fun.

I'll keep updating my impressions as I get further immersed in the new stuff.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote: It's going to take some time before I get to the new stuff, I think.
What level are you now, and what skill level are your major professions at? If you're 70, just abandon all those old quests out of your skill log and hot-foot it to Northrend. (Call me and I'll help you with how to get there.) If you like, dump the orphaned quest items in your bank for now just in case. You probably won't need to go back to any of them.

As far as your spec goes, I would recommend two things:

1) Go to the worldofwarcraft.com forum for pallies. Check out the sticky posts. Read about the cookie-cutter specs for the three roles (retrib, prot, & holy). I'm sure they will recommend one of those builds for leveling, too. Go with one of the cookie-cutter builds, and acclimate to that one 'till you get comfortable again and can look into making your own spec. Respeccing is pretty affordable now, so don't worry about making a change later.

2) Join our guild (Dragons of New Avalon). I'll get you the invite, and then introduce you to our expert pallies and they can help you get re-oriented. Plenty of nice folks who will be happy to help, answer questions, and mentor.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
EvilGenius wrote: It's going to take some time before I get to the new stuff, I think.
What level are you now, and what skill level are your major professions at? If you're 70, just abandon all those old quests out of your skill log and hot-foot it to Northrend. (Call me and I'll help you with how to get there.) If you like, dump the orphaned quest items in your bank for now just in case. You probably won't need to go back to any of them.

As far as your spec goes, I would recommend two things:

1) Go to the worldofwarcraft.com forum for pallies. Check out the sticky posts. Read about the cookie-cutter specs for the three roles (retrib, prot, & holy). I'm sure they will recommend one of those builds for leveling, too. Go with one of the cookie-cutter builds, and acclimate to that one 'till you get comfortable again and can look into making your own spec. Respeccing is pretty affordable now, so don't worry about making a change later.

2) Join our guild (Dragons of New Avalon). I'll get you the invite, and then introduce you to our expert pallies and they can help you get re-oriented. Plenty of nice folks who will be happy to help, answer questions, and mentor.
I'm only 60 now since I've never played any of the Burning Crusade stuff. I think I'm going to ditch most of my quests tonight, but there may be a few I want to keep.

I respec'd last night as mostly a Protection pally with a little Holy. I'll see how it goes. :)

But I'll be on tonight (probably ALL night). So buzz me if you get on.

And yes, Damon, you should get the game, load it on a machine of your choice and then come and play. You too, Ken! :p
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, Bob. I'm in the same boat 10 levels later. I had a bunch of Burning Crusade quests, but got rid of those and am starting the WotLK stuff fresh.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Damn it ... don't make me want to start playing this again. Don't you dare ... [wanders off to play Fallout 3]
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

I sat down to work on my Fallout 3 progress about a week ago, as I hadn't gotten back to it yet after Xmas break. I played for about an hour, got bored, and logged onto WoW.

It's such a testament to the inspired game design and writing when I play one game for 30-ish hours and am ready for it to be over, and my other game that I've been playing for 71 DAYS - that's ~1700 hours, kids - (and that's only on my main character) is still keeping me steadily engaged.

It's not that I've never gotten bored or burnt out on WoW - I most certainly have. It just amazes me that it continues to entertain after so long.

I think part of the equation is something Jon was talking about the other day re. Ticket to Ride. It's not real demanding of your reflexes or adrenaline. At the end of a long day, feeling burnt out, I can log onto WoW and bumble around for an hour or two playing casually. And, if I am all full of energy, there are things like PvP battlegrounds or arenas that are super-hectic and spazzy nail-biting play.

I just love the palpable sense of exploration. It unfolds before you and you just can't wait to see what interesting, beautiful landscape and new critters are waiting over the next hill. Wait 'till you guys see Grizzly Hills. Wow, indeed.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:Damn it ... don't make me want to start playing this again. Don't you dare ... [wanders off to play Fallout 3]
[/agree] ... [looks at pile of RPG's waiting to be beaten... and the upcoming titles on the web]
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So I played for a few hours (um, 5 hours) last night. :)

I started in the Plaguelands and spend a few hours beating the snot out of the Undead. I was impressed at the changes they've made to the game. I was much more powerful against the undead than I remembered and I got a LOT more gold and XP! After a few hours in the Plaguelands I had earned about 15 GP and 9 bubbles of XP (20 bubbles to level)!

THEN I ventured into the Outlands for about an hour. The place is just friggin COOL! And I got even MORE XP! I'm about 13 bubbles out of 20, and I'll EASILY level tonight!

Friggin WoW! Being all awesome and stuff! :P
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hellfire Peninsula tip of the day: if you hear loud stomping and the ground starts to shake, look around you. You're about to be squished by a giant demonic robot called a Fel Reaver. Run away! :D

Also, I *think* you're still in my friends list, but what was your name again - Perric? Add the names Zugulor (Zack) and Furilar (me) to your friends list. You can make little notes for the people in your friends list now to say who they are.

PS - did you get your pally horsie back? Had you ever done the quest to get your really fast pally horsie? If not, let us know and we'll go on the quests with you - you need a group.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Hellfire Peninsula tip of the day: if you hear loud stomping and the ground starts to shake, look around you. You're about to be squished by a giant demonic robot called a Fel Reaver. Run away! :D

Also, I *think* you're still in my friends list, but what was your name again - Perric? Add the names Zugulor (Zack) and Furilar (me) to your friends list. You can make little notes for the people in your friends list now to say who they are.

PS - did you get your pally horsie back? Had you ever done the quest to get your really fast pally horsie? If not, let us know and we'll go on the quests with you - you need a group.
I put Erilar back in my friends list. My main's name is Perric. I'll add the others tonight.

I did get my pallie horse back, but I had never gotten my Epic Mount.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bob, is it Peric, or Perric (I seem to recall it only having one "r"...)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

First Impressions:

Well, just as they did with BC, I think the game designers have stepped it up a notch with the WotLk stuff, and I've only just scratched the surface there. I've been having a blast with exploring the new areas, some of this stuff is epic, some breathtaking, some laugh-out-loud funny, just amazing.