Scroll of Resurrection

The former Blackrazor addiction.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Scroll of Resurrection

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

While I'm really enjoying the Draenei storyline, I want to get a character up to the 30's so I can adventure with you guys. Any tips for quick leveling?

I'm thinking once I get caught up I'll roll up a shaman who can fully explore the Draenei story.

Not that I'm actively playing or anything. :wink:
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:While I'm really enjoying the Draenei storyline, I want to get a character up to the 30's so I can adventure with you guys. Any tips for quick leveling?

I'm thinking once I get caught up I'll roll up a shaman who can fully explore the Draenei story.

Quick Leveling Tips:
1) Completely ignore professions. They take a LOT of time and you can always go back later.
2) Completely focus on quests. Get all of the quests you can for an area and then keep working on one until it's complete. If you get multiple quests for a particular area (kill so many felsworn, get the widgit from the monument, gather the plant that grows in the area, etc), then track them all on-screen at the same time. Complete them all and cash them in at the same time.
3) When you log off, ALWAYS leave your toon in a city or an inn so that you build resting bonus for xp.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Ken and Cory - I encourage you to both apply for membership with our guild, Dragons of New Avalon. There's not a lot of activity at lower levels (<70), but they will still be a good resource for questions and folks to chat with when RL friends aren't around. There are always people leveling alts (non-main characters) too.

Plus, they also occasionally do fun-for-all stuff like naked runs through the lvl 20 Deadmines instance (everyone strips bare and you equip yourself as you go with whatever gear drops).

Here's the page containing the application "form":
http://dragonsofnewavalon.net/forum/vie ... owtopic=69

This is all pretty much a formality for friends of current guild members. Just make a post in the recruitment forum with your responses to the questions, and keep an eye on the forum for responses. Mention that you're RL friends with Erilar and Tarrek. The last step is a "interview" conducted in-game by my friend Pirimoon. (You guys may even have played on Xbox with him - he's Nerpucker on there.)

Oh - one more thing for Ken. You can now buy a mount at lvl 30, so go and do that! (IIRC, the stables for human mounts are in Elwynn Forest?) I think it's 40 or 50 gold. If you don't have enough, let me know and Erilar will hook you up.
Last edited by erilar on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:
Hardcorhobbs wrote:While I'm really enjoying the Draenei storyline, I want to get a character up to the 30's so I can adventure with you guys. Any tips for quick leveling?

Quick Leveling Tips:
1) Completely ignore professions. They take a LOT of time and you can always go back later.
2) Completely focus on quests. Get all of the quests you can for an area and then keep working on one until it's complete. If you get multiple quests for a particular area (kill so many felsworn, get the widgit from the monument, gather the plant that grows in the area, etc), then track them all on-screen at the same time. Complete them all and cash them in at the same time.
3) When you log off, ALWAYS leave your toon in a city or an inn so that you build resting bonus for xp.
I'll put in my 2 copper too. Agree totally with #2 and #3. Re. #1, professions can definitely take a lot of time, but IMO don't neglect your gathering profession (skinning, mining, herbalism). You'll hate yourself later, because you'll have to go back to the newbie zones and grind them up - very boring. You can always run out later and mine up a stack of copper ore real quick to work on your blacksmithing, but it will suck if you're skilling up mining at the same time.

If you go this route, you don't have to focus on leveling your crafting profession per se, as that can take more materials then are necessary to maintain your gathering skill. At a minimum, keep your gathering skill high enough to gather where you're questing and gather when you happen to come across a node.

A good way to follow this approach is to take two gathering professions when leveling - usually skinning (because you gather from the stuff you kill - more convenient) and then either mining or herbalism. This nets you the most money as you progress, since you're selling everything you gather on the Auction house.

I'll add a #4) loot EVERYTHING - even the crappy gray items. Sell all your gray-quality items to vendors, and sell everything else you can't use on the auction house - even white-quality items.

The only deviation to the two gathering profession idea is if you eventually want to do enchanting. If that's the case, do it from the start. This is because you'll have to disenchant all the magic items you loot (unless you use them) to make the raw materials for enchanting. Since you loot magic stuff in the process of leveling, and earn magic item quest rewards you don't use, you can skill up enchanting as you go. I recommend that you don't do enchanting with your first character though. One makes a lot of money selling magic items they don't need on the auction house, and your character will always be broke if you're disenchanting all this stuff.

*** BUT ***

Personally though, I would highly recommend against speed leveling. Enjoy the quest stories. Read all the flavor text. Explore the nooks and crannies. Work on your professions as long as you're enjoying them.

You'll get burnt out and bored if you speed level. You will have to "go kill 20 boars" regardless of whether you're speed-leveling or not. The story behind why the cute boars must die will be the thing to keep you engaged though.

As long as you're doing your best to work on quests in geographic "clusters" like Bob said, you'll still level just about as fast as rushing through it. Most new players won't be skilled enough at a fresh character to speed-level it efficiently anyway.

Don't make it into a job - enjoy the game. Otherwise, by the time you get to level 40 with us, you'll hate it and won't want to play anyway. Priority one: have fun!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I totally appreciate the comments/concerns. However there are two reasons for me to power level up to 30ish. First, I'm really playing to game with you guys. Xbox gaming has been scarce, and I think it's obvious that part of the reason is everyone only has limited gaming time. If you guys are playing WoW, thats cutting into Xbox time. The second reason is basically: been there, done that. I played heavily in the beta, and a bunch after it dropped. I've had countless low level characters. I know most of the low level zones pretty well (hence playing Dreanei, which I haven't played before). However, my highest level character was 39. Frankly I quit playing the game after being abandoned by my friends at the time (made worse by the fact we were on a PVP server and I was trying to level solo). What I haven't experienced is high level play. So if I can level up to the 30's, and hang out with you guys I can really start learning a whole new portion of the game.

I'll add this, the game certainly has changed. The economy is different, there is more to explore, new professions, new races, hell even a new class! At the core, its still the same old WoW; though this time I have a good group to look forward to hanging with (and NOT a pvp server!) :mrgreen:
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'll add this, the game certainly has changed. The economy is different, there is more to explore, new professions, new races, hell even a new class! At the core, its still the same old WoW; though this time I have a good group to look forward to hanging with (and NOT a pvp server!) :mrgreen:
I have a 19th level hunter named Delven, so I can do some of the lower stuff with you if you like.

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

All that said, I'm following Bob's outline so far. I have no profession, I take all the quests I can find and attempt to finish them as I go; though normally I'm doing more than one like killing Bears AND Flowers. I also always quit in a city or inn. So far I got 16 levels in two days, not too shabby. I'm shooting for 20 tonight, 30 by the end of the week.

Again, I appreciate what Erilar said, but I've never really been all that interested in the professions. I've tried all the old ones and I've found I'm just not that interested in making pants. Especially since I have to make a billion pairs I don't need, for the one pair I do need. There's new professions so I'll likely try those, but so far none have really caught me. As for experiencing the new stuff... I'll get back to it. Right now I want to come hang out with you guys :)
NukeHavoc wrote:I have a 19th level hunter named Delven, so I can do some of the lower stuff with you if you like.
If you want to level up a lower level guy then feel free to join me. But don't feel obligated, I'm trying to catch up to Zil afterall ;)
Last edited by Hardcorhobbs on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I find the low level stuff levels you pretty fast; once you get in the mid-20s, it goes a lot slower, city resting or not. Right now Selilei is Level 37, and grinding up to 38 is taking a while. It could also be that the quests I end up with at this level are a lot less focused.

BTW, its cool and all you can get a mount at lvl 30, but getting the gold to do it is a real problem, especially as a mage. I keep having to buy spells to stay competitive (I haven't bought any in 7 levels and it's really starting to hurt me). BTW, I do all solo gaming.

If you all want to do a group thing, let me know. I have Alliance characters from IIRC lvl 14 all the way to 37.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:I encourage you to both apply for membership with our guild, Dragons of New Avalon.
Here's the page containing the application "form":
http://dragonsofnewavalon.net/forum/vie ... owtopic=69
I encourage all of you - Bob, Damon, Ken, Cory - to do this. They are fun folks, and really do help make the game fun.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
If you go this route, you don't have to focus on leveling your crafting profession per se, as that can take more materials then are necessary to maintain your gathering skill. At a minimum, keep your gathering skill high enough to gather where you're questing and gather when you happen to come across a node.

A good way to follow this approach is to take two gathering professions when leveling - usually skinning (because you gather from the stuff you kill - more convenient) and then either mining or herbalism. This nets you the most money as you progress, since you're selling everything you gather on the Auction house.
I highly reccommend that if you are not interested in crafting stuff, you still do the two gathering professions. You can make tons of cash off of skinning, mining, herbalism. If you are not using the stuff, it's all free money lying around for you to pick up. That helps with buying spelss, mounts, etc.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Lars Porsenna wrote:I find the low level stuff levels you pretty fast; once you get in the mid-20s, it goes a lot slower, city resting or not. Right now Selilei is Level 37, and grinding up to 38 is taking a while. It could also be that the quests I end up with at this level are a lot less focused.

BTW, its cool and all you can get a mount at lvl 30, but getting the gold to do it is a real problem, especially as a mage. I keep having to buy spells to stay competitive (I haven't bought any in 7 levels and it's really starting to hurt me). BTW, I do all solo gaming.

If you all want to do a group thing, let me know. I have Alliance characters from IIRC lvl 14 all the way to 37.

Damon.
Damon, you hit the nail on the head with the money thing. I had that same problem during some lower levels early on.

I will say, the profession thing is a help there. As I said, selling off your gathering mats can help. For example, I needed 5000g to learn Artisan Flying. So, I decided not to work on my Blacksmithing for a while, and I sold all the ore I was mining. It really helped speed up how quickly I got the gold.

I will say, however, that staying current with your spells is imperative. I really mean that. It's not an option. Part of the reason some levels may feel like you are slowing down is you don't have the firepower to keep up with the mobs you are facing. The game assumes you are buying your new spells, talents, etc. every chance you get. You really have to do that. It will make the questing and killing of mobs easier, which will lead to steadier income, which will lead to smoother leveling, etc.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Jonkga wrote:I highly reccommend that if you are not interested in crafting stuff, you still do the two gathering professions. You can make tons of cash off of skinning, mining, herbalism. If you are not using the stuff, it's all free money lying around for you to pick up. That helps with buying spelss, mounts, etc.
I completely agree. Its what I was doing when I was saving for my mount way back in the day. I haven't been doing it much thus far due to bag sizes, but now that I can afford larger bags it's about time to start. I have however kept all of said items in the bank for selling later.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Lars Porsenna wrote: BTW, I do all solo gaming.
You know, Damon - if you'd rolled an Alliance toon, you'd have RL friends to play and chat with... Just saying.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
Lars Porsenna wrote: BTW, I do all solo gaming.
You know, Damon - if you'd rolled an Alliance toon, you'd have RL friends to play and chat with... Just saying.
He has them. He's just been exploring his blelfy darkness. It's an experimental phase.

Damon, have you tried just NOT being a blelf? :p
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

One cannot deny one's nature...

I thought of rolling up a Blood Elf paladin cause...you know...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/