Thinking on professions...

The former Blackrazor addiction.
NukeHavoc

Thinking on professions...

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm playing my dwarven hunter Delven now and I've got a question about professions and secondary skills.

Right now, his professions are Mining and Skinning, and his secondary skills are Cooking and First Aid.

This makes him a resource gathering machine, but also means I'm not making anything. Does it make more sense for him to drop mining and pick up leatherworking instead? Or is it better (from a gold-mining stand point) to keep the two resource gathering professions and then sell them via the Auction?

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Thinking on professions...

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Kineska is doing the same thing. My thinking is I want to focus on leveling so I'm going to just collect things to sell in the action house. I can always use the money later to purchase items to help me level up my future professions. But then, I've never really been impressed with any of the professions.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Ken, I really think ultimately its up to whatever you enjoy. I like being able to make my character stuff through Armorsmithing, so that's what I've done. But if, like Cory, you're feeling like you don't want to be bothered with working on stuff like that, well then, don't. I think the major advice I would give is don't neglect the professions entirely. And, you haven't, as the two gathering model is great for doing just what you are doing - selling stuff and simply having the gold for what you want/need. Both ultimately achieve pretty similar ends; its really all about what you enjoy on the way.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

ok, so riddle me this ... how do I go about dropping one profession and adding another? I think I'd rather Delven have leatherworking; it fits his character better. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Open your character sheet, click the skill tab, click the profession you want to drop, in the lower window a box will appear after the progress bar for removing the profession.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Remember that almost everything you want is available on the AH. So, unless you specifically like making the stuff for yourself, making lots of money via gathering and then buying your gear is a very viable option (and perhaps less of a hassle).

Once you guys join the guild, someone will be able to make whatever you need. Just buy the materials and maybe offer then a tip for their trouble.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I picked up leatherworking, mostly because it's more interesting than just mining stuff. :)

ken