Guilding

The former Blackrazor addiction.
EvilGenius

Guilding

Post by EvilGenius »

So Lance and Jon keep inviting us to join their Guild.

Is anyone thinking of taking them up on their offers? You know, if we count Lance and Jon we have 6 players ourselves. Add 4 more and we could start our own "Blackrazor Guild", couldn't we?

I've had the discussion with Lance before, but I'm probably not going to join another guild, unless it's mostly just us. I've never had a good guild experience and I don't play WoW to make new friends. I actually don't really ever do anything to make new friends. :)

In terms of resources, I imagine that will be the ultimately damning factor for Lance since we simply won't have as many resources as a large guild (by resources I mean, other characters to craft things, enchant things and to help on quests).

But if we had our own guild, we could invite in a few extra people that other, friendlier Blackrazors know, and I think we'd ultimately have enough resources. With multiple toons each I think we've got a very good selection of classes, races and professions already.

Thoughts?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Lars Porsenna

Re: Guilding

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I was thinking this the other night, and think its a good idea. We definitely have a lot of people! As for resources, that's less important to me, as opposed to FREX the guild chat feature, etc.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Not to be "that guy" and squash this idea before it starts, but I'm not leaving our current guild, Dragons of New Avalon. You guys should totally join our guild, rather than start your own. Believe me, the folks in our guild are awesome, and will not make you be friendly with them. You can join and just lurk, and they'd be fine with that.

However, if you open up yourselves just a bit, there's a wealth of goodness to be found in this guild. Likeminded individuals who approach the game, gaming, and life the way we do is probably the best thing I can say about this guild. Also, all the resource, or guild chat, or opportunities to explore instance and raid content, etc. that you've mentioned open up to you upon joining as well.

Yes, you guys might not have had good experiences in other guilds, but you haven't been in this guild.

I'm just saying...
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Not to be "that guy" and squash this idea before it starts, but I'm not leaving our current guild, Dragons of New Avalon. You guys should totally join our guild, rather than start your own. Believe me, the folks in our guild are awesome, and will not make you be friendly with them. You can join and just lurk, and they'd be fine with that.

However, if you open up yourselves just a bit, there's a wealth of goodness to be found in this guild. Likeminded individuals who approach the game, gaming, and life the way we do is probably the best thing I can say about this guild. Also, all the resource, or guild chat, or opportunities to explore instance and raid content, etc. that you've mentioned open up to you upon joining as well.

Yes, you guys might not have had good experiences in other guilds, but you haven't been in this guild.

I'm just saying...
That's cool. I expected your response, honestly. And I imainge Lance will feel similarly.

I don't mind if everyone joins your guild but I have zero interest in that, so I was just offering an alternate idea. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

If I recall correctly guild membership only link to one character. If thats the case we could have the best of both worlds. Jon, Lance and I (assuming my application is accepted) could be in DoNA, but have alts in the Blackrazor guild. If we get everyone who's playing to create a character to sign the charter, we could easily put together the guild. Thats if it still works that way.

To me having the Blackrazor guild will just be more for fun than a formal organization. I can keep the formality to DoNA.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Sorry, but to be brutally honest, there's really no point in making an in-game WoW guild of 6 people. A guild is about resources - goods, services, people to play and talk with, friends, advice, etc. It would make loads more sense for you guys to join DoNA, and take advantage of these resources and potentially make some fun new friends (except Bob, of course). I know you guys don't get exactly what a guild involves yet, and how important it will be to your higher-level play, but just take my retarded number of hours-played experience for granted. I won't be leaving DoNA with any of my characters.

What do you get if you create a guild for 6 people? A chat channel. Big hairy deal. We can create our own chat channel if you guys want a little privacy from the guild's more-populated and -public chat.

Type "/join TheBlackrazors" in the chat window, and your character will permanently join a chat channel called TheBlackrazors. If we all do this, you'll get a notification when anyone joins the channel (i.e. logs on). This way, even anti-social Bob will get a notification when someone logs on (and even if his friends list is incomplete).

The game will assign a chat channel number to this channel - say 5. From then on, all we'd have to do is type "/5" and the game will automatically start a message for our "guild" chat. It acts just like an IM channel and doesn't matter what zone your character is in.
Last edited by erilar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Type "/join TheBlackrazors" in the chat window, and your character will permanently join a chat channel called TheBlackrazors. If we all do this, you'll get a notification when anyone joins the channel (i.e. logs on). This way, even anti-social Bob will get a notification when someone logs on (and even if his friends list is incomplete).

The game will assign a chat channel number to this channel - say 5. From then on, all we'd have to do is type "/5" and the game will automatically start a message for our "guild" chat. It acts just like an IM channel and doesn't matter what zone your character is in.
Cool! That's the only benefit I was looking for anyway (besides maybe a cool tabard design. And to actually be publically identified as the BlackRazor Guild). :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

The one thing that I'm not sure you understand (could be totally wrong), Bob, is that while I call my guild mates "friends", but they really aren't. There's no "overhead" with these people, and there's no expectation that you need to "get to know" them. They are simply acquaintances that also like to play WoW.

Of course, this could apply to any WoW player. The major difference is that DoNA members are pre-screened. It's like a USDA stamp that reads "not a douchebag".

Where I'm going is this: you don't have to worry about maintaining a relationship or anything that's a burden. You log on, a few people will say "hi", and that's it. Once in a while, they'll ask if you want to tag along to an instance. Or, if you want to hit an instance, you ask if people want to go. If they do, you'll find them funny, largely competent and WoW-knowledgeable, and un-annoying. When the instance is over, everyone ways "hey, thanks for the fun run guys" and goes on their merry way. You can be as social as you want, or almost not at all as long as you're nice and polite.

I call them my "friends", but in reality I know them on a personal level even less than the newest of the Blackrazors (Brendan, etc.). That said, I've played WoW with them for over three years, and I've never had a bad experience playing with any of them. We simply don't allow dickbags into the guild, and if one sneaks by they don't last long at all. It doesn't matter to anyone if you're anti-social or quiet. It'd only matter if you were mean to people, or if you were annoying, and if so you'd be asked to leave.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I completely get where your coming from Lance. DoNA is the kind of guild we'll feel at home in, hence why I applied right away. Its the type of guild where I won't get annoyed by the members, and will really take you far to help the enjoyment of the game. I've been playing for about a week now, and I've gotten over a dozen requests to join a guild. There is absolutely no draw for me joining a guild who's randomly asking you to join. I want the kind of pre-screening the DoNA is doing to make sure they keep a certain quality of gamers.

That said, I'd also love to see what Bob is talking about. Forming the Blackrazor guild for no other reason than a Blackrazor tag and a cool tabard is a big thumbs up in my mind. The Stonecutters did it back in the day. It's just something to mess around with, not a serious guild like DoNA. If you really want to go places you need a guild like the DoNA is essential, but for fun I'd really love to see the Blackrazor guild form (if nothing other than to just get a little bit of a geek-out seeing the redshirts running around ;)).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yeah, I understand Lance but I'm just not into it. I've been in several guilds in my WoW career, some of them WITH you (Twilight Alliance comes to mind). It's alway okay for a little while. But then it changes. I don't respond to someone quickly enough and they get miffed. Or I ask for help with gear or enchants and it always seems to cost more than the guy hawking his stuff in front of the SW bank. And then people get upset because I ask them to help then tell them I don't want to pay that much.

And I frankly don't like the guild chat channel any more than the global channels. I usually turn them all off (I'm only interested in a guildchat function with you guys because I like talking to you guys). Then it always turns into someone whispering me that I'm ignorning them in the guild chat because they've been trying to talk to me in the general channel.

So with the general guild population at large:
1) I don't ever really want to ask them for assistance with gear, enchants or quests
2) I don't ever really want to chat
3) I never want to participate in 'guild functions' like 'dance parties' or group pictures
4) I don't do endgame raids

That means the only benefits I would get from a guild are:
1) A tabard design
2) The Guild name publicly displayed when people see my character name
3) People would stop spamming me to join their guild/sign their charter.

So for me, it makes total sense to have a 6 person guild (or 4 people since you and Jon are happy where you are).

Lance, I'm just looking for different things out of the game than you are. Many of the things that you are looking for and enjoy just aren't part of my gaming experience.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm interested in joining Lance/Jon's guild, but honestly right now I'm just trying to get my feet under me again in-world. I believe Lance and Jon when they're say the guild's made up of nice guys, but I'd really rather get comfortable with the game again before I join anything.

I'd be fine with designating one of my characters as a Blackrazor, and having a small Blackrazor guild contingent, as it would amuse me to see that such an organization existed within WoW. :) I could see allocating Delven to that role; if I were role-playing him, he'd be an anti-social loner bastard anyway... And I am planning on having another character or three down the line; I haven't tried playing a tank yet, so I'd like to do that.

Guilds are server and faction specific right, so I couldn't pull my Horde characters in Windrunnner into an Alliance guild on our existing server?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:I'd be fine with designating one of my characters as a Blackrazor, and having a small Blackrazor guild contingent, as it would amuse me to see that such an organization existed within WoW. :) I could see allocating Delven to that role; if I were role-playing him, he'd be an anti-social loner bastard anyway... And I am planning on having another character or three down the line; I haven't tried playing a tank yet, so I'd like to do that.
I checked last night and Balkup (my current banker) is still the guild master of the Stonecutters. So I'll leave him in there just to keep control of the guild. And Kineska is waiting for a DoNA interview. But Therax would certainly join the blackrazors.
NukeHavoc wrote:Guilds are server and faction specific right, so I couldn't pull my Horde characters in Windrunnner into an Alliance guild on our existing server?
You got it. Also, its like $15 per character to move them to another server.