4/25: Painting or Warcraft?

The former Blackrazor addiction.
NukeHavoc

4/25: Painting or Warcraft?

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get on tonight -- I need to continue painting Jordan's room, so it'll probably be a function of how much I get done in there. I'm hoping to get home by 4, so with any luck I can knock out enough to be able to retire by 8/8:30, but we'll see.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

things are looking less likely for warcraft tonight. Sue's brother is coming over and we're going to paint, so we may end up working later than 8:30/9. We'll see. On the plus side, we might be able to finish a majority of the room tonight.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, I'm actually receiving the lion's chare of my new computer guts tonight, so I'm kind of chomping at the bit to start building my gaming golem of doom too. I WILL play though if everyone else is, so just keep me updated.

If nothing else, maybe we can postpone to Wed or Thur. I think that Lost tomorrow is just a repeat/flashback thingie from what Mattie told me.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Let me know what your schedule looks like Ken. I'll be assembling, but will be available if you can make it. Three will be a decent critical mass to avoid the lure of smexy new hardware 8) (I'm assuming Damon is still available, although I don't remember hearing from him).

Call me if I forget to check and you guys are raring to go. :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Painting is done. I'll be on at 8:30, maybe a little earlier.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Oh crap - I was frantially wire-plugging and checked just for the heck of it. I'll be on asap.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Good Stockade run last night guys -- we're putting together a pretty good system for warrior-paladin-wizard.

For my part, I thought using the cone of cold on swarms worked very well. Slowing three or four attackers for a few seconds buys everyone a little more time. And Amplify Magic worked quite nicely. I don't know if the extra 30 pts. of healing made a big different, but the second try at the boss fight went a heck of a lot better with it. If we're not fighting magic using guys, I can't see why we wouldn't always use that on our tank.

I do need to remember to use sheep -- when I'm soloing I almost never use that spell, so I forget about it once we get into group combat.

I think having Damon listening on Skype, even if he couldn't talk, was a marked improvement. We definitely need to experiment with Ventrilo though.

All in all, a good night's adventuring.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Agreed - good fin and I think our teamwork is getting very good.

A few observations. It seems like I need a little more time to generate threat before you start throwing AOE's (Area of Effect damage spells). I think we're relying on AOE's too quickly and complicating matters. I can take a suprising amount of punishment, and fights can last a really long time, as long as the baddies are beating on me and not others.

When we're fighting multiple mobs, it's fairly easy for me to keep one mob held tightly while you guys beat on it directly, and I can simultaneously keep the other few loosely held to me so they don't aggro onto Damon or Jon from threat generated from healing, etc.

When we start hurling AOE's though, it's much tougher for me to control the mobs. Warrior only have a few AOE taunts / aggro moves, and they only gain temporary aggro, not permanent.

So, for these fights with few mobs - let's say less than 4 - I would like to try us killing one at a time. Your direct-damage spells are more mana efficient anyway, and I'll have a much easier time holding aggro.

We can designate one person as "Main Assist" (or MA). That means that they are the one who chooses which mob everyone beats on. Everyone else can create an "assist" macro that will read like this:

/assist Zilanderan

Then you simply bind that macro to a key and when you're not sure which mob to hit, you jab that button.

It doesn't make sense for me to be main assist, since I need to switch targets all the time to beat on mobs and keep them mad at me, so the MA is usually a dps class.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm jealous I cant be there with you guys yet. Sounds like a fun time was had. Hopefully sunday we can an a priest to your mage-pally-warrior party (and with bob's mage as weel, we should mow folks down!).
erilar

Post by erilar »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did hit lvl 29 last night with all the quest turn-ins, so thanks loads for helping me get caught up! But, good lord do the Stormwind quests run you around all over creation!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:When we start hurling AOE's though, it's much tougher for me to control the mobs. Warrior only have a few AOE taunts / aggro moves, and they only gain temporary aggro, not permanent.
ok, I'll focus on those if we're dealing with up to three, and bring in the big guns for 4 or higher.
erilar wrote: /assist Zilanderan
Then you simply bind that macro to a key and when you're not sure which mob to hit, you jab that button.
I've been meaning to try out macros. Is there a site that explains how to do them?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention that I did hit lvl 29 last night with all the quest turn-ins, so thanks loads for helping me get caught up! But, good lord do the Stormwind quests run you around all over creation!
heh. No kidding. I think Zil will be spending some time venturing around looking for components for our next foray, and slowly working his way to the elven lands to speak with a certain alchemist there.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

with both Tarrek and Quendaran, I've loved the multi-part, travel everywhere SW quests. Really make me feel like I'm part of the world running all over the city, and then all over the human lands and outposts. From the king himself to the cheese guy and back, from the canals to the marshes of dustwallow, down to the shadowy forests of Duskwood, to the last bastion at LHC. Great stuff! :) Just be sure to read all the quest-text. And, a pretty good ring after all that stockades stuff, if you continue through to killing the guy in the keep as well.
erilar

Post by erilar »

People that don't read the quest text should be playing Diablo 2 instead. 'Nuff said...

I have very much been enjoying my quest storys lately. From the awesome Jitters storyline in Duskwood, to the George R.R. Martin-esque backstabbing intrigue of the SW quests - good stuff.

I was just trying to level up and go to bed (at like 1am). I had like half a bubble to go, and was getting like 50xp per mile run for all those quests - lol!

Ken, here's a link to macro info on the WoW Wiki.

BTW, regarding the aggro management stuff we were talking about, there's some great info here on WoW's official page. Some is a little basic, but bear with it because there are gems in there. Hunt around to the other related links too - pulling, crowd control, etc.