World of Warcraft Slang

The former Blackrazor addiction.
NukeHavoc

World of Warcraft Slang

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lance (and everyone else) please post your World of Warcraft slang and abbreviations to this thread, so we have a clue as to what you're talking about (and Lance, this would make a great post for Ditlog when we're done).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Holy crap... Where do I start?? :)

Blizz's official glossary of Wow-speak

Answers.com's list

Not trying to avoid doing this, and great idea for an article, but I knew that folks had already compiled a few of these, and the jargon is pretty expansive.

Is there some specific stuff that I've been saying that's been confusing, and/or that you aren't seeing here?

BTW, please always yell at me when I'm WoW-speaking over anyone's head when we're playing. I've spend almost two months straight of my life in this game, and I don't even think about using these terms anymore.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

ok, maybe I should say ... why not post the ones that you use most frequently, 'cause that's a hell of a list. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Is there some specific stuff that I've been saying that's been confusing, and/or that you aren't seeing here?.
Well last night we had:

Zerg - From StarCraft, to attack something with a lot of players/units.

But I think it's more a question of you telling us what we need to know. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Okay Ken - here's a good start:

------

PvP - Player vs Player. A style of WoW play that involves players combatting players of the opposite faction. Intra-faction dueling might also be considered PvP play.

PvE - Player vs Environment. This style of WoW play mainly revolves around the players combatting computer-controlled enemies, completing quests, and adventuring in Instance dungeons.

Mob (n) - A computer-controlled enemy. Also called creeps or monsters. (Short for Mobile Object Block, and old video game programming term.) "Let's attack those three mobs by that tree."

Tank (n & v) - One of the three primary PvE group roles. A tank is a character whose main focus is ensuring that mobs are attacking only himself. His goal is to soak up all the damage and keep less-hearty and less-armored characters from being killed by foes. The Main Tank (MT) character strives to keep all enemy mobs attacking only him. An Off-Tank (OT) is a character whose job is to grab the attention of any mobs who escape control of the Main Tank, or when the MT is incapacitated. "He's our Tank." "You tank the mob on the right."

Healer - The second of the three primary PvE group roles. A character whose primary role is healing damage that party members receive during encounters. The Main Healer (MH) has the primary healing responsibility within a group, with specific responsibility towards the main tank. An Off-Healer (OH) takes on a healing role when the Main Healer is overwhelmed by damage taken by the party, or otherwise indisposed.

DPS (n & v) -
1) The third primary PvE group role. DPS characters' focus is on doing as much damage to the enemy mobs as possible. Derived from:
2) Damage Per Second. A description of how much average damage a weapon, spell, character, or mob will do over a period of time. Calculated from the average damage per hit and the weapon or casting speed. One of the best ways to compare the damage output of the subject to another subject. "I'll heal this fight and you can DPS." "That sword has a high DPS."

Aggro (n & v) - The state of currently being directly attacked by a mob, or the act of becomming attacked. "Wait for me to get solid aggro before attacking." "I got too close and aggro'ed those Murlocs."

Aggro Radius (n) - An imagionary circle around a character that describes how close he can get to an enemy mob without aggro'ing it. A low-level character in a high-level zone will have a large Aggro Radius, and vise-versa.

Threat - Most player actions that are disadvantageous to a mob cause threat, which is a description of how likely the mob is to attack you. Healing an ally, causing damage to a mob, or restraining a mob will all cause threat. The game keeps a dynamic tally of threat, and the character with the highest threat will have aggro from a mob they are in combat with.

Aggro Management - The techniques employed by a group to control which character has aggro. A tank performs high-threat moves to keep the mobs mad at him. A healer is careful not to "over-heal" and cause excess threat. A DPS character must be cautious not to gain so much threat from damage done that he gains aggro.

Pull (n, v), Puller (n) - The act of initiating combat from range via a spell or ranged weapon. Specifically, the idea is to bring the mob from their current location to a "safe" area, where the group may fight the beastie unmolested. "Puller" is a secondary group role, where one character is given the full-time task of pulling. "Pull that big troll away from the camp."

Focus Fire (v) - Also FF for short. When all DPS characters attack a single target. Usually the best approach in a fight, since injured mobs each still do full damage. Reduce the number of enemies, reduce the damage taken. The Focus Fire target is sometimes referred to as the FF. "For this next fight, we'll focus fire on the blue raptor." "The left snake is FF."

Main Assist - Main Assist (MA) is a secondary group role. The MA is the character who decides which mob the group will focus fire on. At first glance, it seems like the main tank might be a good choice for Main Assist. In reality though, when fighting multiple mobs, the MT will need to switch targets very frequently to make sure that all the mobs are maddest at him. So, typically the Main Assist is a melee class (because they can see and target the next mob most easily) who is acting in a purely DPS role. Many times, players create an assist macro and bind it to a key. The macro might read like this: "/assist Zilanderan". This macro tells the game "I want to target Zil's target." "Who is MA for this raid?"

AOE (n & v) - Area of Effect. A spell which targets an area instead of a specific player or mob (usually a spell which does damage to all mobs within a certain radius, or heals all friendlies within range). "Let's AOE this group of kobolds."

DoT (n & v) - Damage over Time. A spell or effect that slowly does a certain amount of damage over a delayed time span. "Stop all DoT's before phase three of the fight." "DoT that runner!"

HoT (n) - Heal over Time. Similar to DoT, but healing instead of damage.

Peel (v), Peeler (n)- Another secondary group role. Sometimes, the group will want to pull one mob away from the main fight (perhaps it does high AOE damage, etc.). The puller will bring the group of foes to the main party as per normal, but after the pull, the peeler might shoot a specific mob with a high-threat effect to "peel" it away from the main fight, usually to a waiting off-tank. "Volarius will pull the Molten Giant to Tarrek, and Erilar will peel the Destroyer to Gorius."

Crowd Control (n & v) - Also CC. Refers to spells that temporarily take a mob out of the fight (examples would be Polymorph, Hybernate, and Banish). Important in fights where enemy numbers are critical. "There are too many of them for us to take. Let's have Danduin CC the Axe Thrower."

Add (n) - A mob that unexpectly joins into an existing fight. "We've got adds!"

Patrol (n) - Mobs that wander a specific path, rather than mill about a general area as typical. "There is a patrol that comes down this hallway. Wait until it passes before pulling."

BoE (a) - Bind on Equip. A type of loot that becomes Soulbound once equipped, and can not thereafter be sold or used by another character. "Last night was great - I won three BoE's in Scarlet Monastery, and I sold them all on the AH for a fortune!"

BoP (a) - Bind on Pickup. A type of loot that becomes Soulbound as soon as it is looted. "We are going to switch to Master Looter, because there are BoP items in this dungeon."

Master Looter (n) - Also ML. Another secondary party role. One character is designated to pick up all loot more valuable than a certain threshold. Usually only for instances where BoP items are found. For example, Durric might be set as the Master Looter when we visit Gnomeregan. We could set the conditions that all Green items or better will go to the ML only. It would be his job to loot all corpses with significant treasure after each fight, and at the end of the dungeon, distribute the treasure either by a "need before greed" system or perhaps by random "lotto". The ML must be careful to distribute BoP items only to the appropriate character, and they must be distributed immediately (not at teh end of the night), because he can not pick them up without Soulbinding them.

Squishie (n) - Lightly-armored characters, typically cloth-wearing classes. So named because of monsters' love for their soft, juicy centers. "Crap, more adds - protect the squishies!"

Zerg (v) - rushing a group of enemies en masse. Individual group members are primarily acting on their own, and no cohesive strategy was discussed before the attack. In general, only less-challenging encounters may be successfully tackled with this approach. "We're kicking these guys' butts. Let's just Zerg this next camp." Derived form the Starcraft race, whose basic strategy involved overwhelming the enemy with sheer numbers.
Last edited by erilar on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

What, LEROY isn't part of the lexicon?

Definition: LEROY- (verb. To rush into combat heedless of any prior made plans or strategies, causing distress for your fellow part members as they die hideously from the lack of necessary teamwork. See also "Blackrazors")
erilar

Post by erilar »

Very nice, Nate! lol
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Face-melting: You've mentioned this one a bunch of times with regards to Jon's spells, but I don't know which one (or which ones) you're talking about or what kind of damage its doing.

I'll keep track of your slang tonight so we can add to the list tomorrow.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm not 100% certain about "face-melting" either. A priest in damage mode, particularly in PvP, is commonly referred to as "melting faces". I don't think that this stems from any specific spell, but is rather something that's become popular jargon in the priest community.

Shadow-specced priests (that is, those specializing in the Shadow talent tree) can do an incredible amount of damage, and I know that they are particularly notorius in PvP.

Talent Spec and Talent Build (n) - A description of in what Talent "tree" a character has specialized (i.e. there are Fire-specced, Frost-specced, and Arcane-specced mages, plus mixed hybrid builds). "What build are you?" "He's a Fury-spec warrior."

I believe that Zil is Fire-spec and Danduin is Frost?

I don't know what Durric's spec is.

Quen is Discipline spec, which mainly means that he has TONS of mana. He's found that he's now able to both heal and nuke and still have plenty of mana left at the end of fights. Our challenge will be to keep him from gaining aggro, since he's generating threat thgough both healing and damage dealt.

Nuke (v) - Dealing ranged damage via spells.

I'm a Arms-spec warrior, which means that I've specialized in dealing high damage with a big honkin' 2H weapon. My tanking strategy revolves around keeping aggro my doing major damage, combined with a few Taunt-type moves and high-aggro moves like Sunder Armor.

Taunt (n & v) - an ability that generates high threat only, designed to help a character gain aggro.

Snap Aggro (n) - moves such as a warrior's Taunt, which temporarily moves him to the top of a mob's threat list (gaining him aggro). This status is temporary, and his threat will drop down to the previous level when the duration is up.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

IIRC Durric is protection spec'ed, though with Lay on Hands bumped up to the max too...

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Thanks Lance -- this is helping tremendously. Zil is fire specialized (fire, FIRE!) and just picked up the nova power, which I can not wait to try out tonight. (something like 120-200 dmg in a burst centered on Zil, plus it has a chance to stun them).
erilar

Post by erilar »

Lars Porsenna wrote:IIRC Durric is protection spec'ed, though with Lay on Hands bumped up to the max too...

Damon.
The pally Protection tree improves his ability to tank and mitigate damage, and also enhances many of his buffs.

Buff (n & v) - A temporary spell that affects friendly targets in some beneficial fashion. "I like having priests along to buff our stamina." "My Salvation buff has run out."

Debuff (n & v) - The opposite of a buff. A temporary spell that negatively affects enemy targets. "Sunder Armor is a debuff that reduces a target's armor."
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:Thanks Lance -- this is helping tremendously. Zil is fire specialized (fire, FIRE!) and just picked up the nova power, which I can not wait to try out tonight. (something like 120-200 dmg in a burst centered on Zil, plus it has a chance to stun them).
Ooo, that sounds like a good one! I am a huge proponant of any moves that stun.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yes, Danduin is Frost, although right now my most damaging spells are fire. :( Next level it'll even out and i'll be doing all frost again. :)

Peric is Retribution spec mostly, although he's got a little in holy and a little in Protection.
erilar wrote:I believe that Zil is Fire-spec and Danduin is Frost?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Modified this explanation for clarity:
erilar wrote: Main Assist - Main Assist (MA) is a secondary group role. The MA is the character who decides which mob the group will focus fire on. At first glance, it seems like the main tank might be a good choice for Main Assist. In reality though, when fighting multiple mobs, the MT will need to switch targets very frequently to make sure that all the mobs are maddest at him. So, typically the Main Assist is a melee class (because they can see and target the next mob most easily) who is acting in a purely DPS role. Many times, players create an assist macro and bind it to a key. The macro might read like this: "/assist Zilanderan". This macro tells the game "I want to target Zil's target." "Who is MA for this raid?"