WoW CCG - anyone interested?

The former Blackrazor addiction.
erilar

WoW CCG - anyone interested?

Post by erilar »

OK, I know CCG's are a hotbutton topic. I just wanted to throw this out there. The game comes out at the end of the month.

I have a coupon code that gets us 20% off of our order on the Upper Deck website store. Don't know how long this code is good for.

This would put a case of booster packs from $94 to only $75. (24 boosters per box, 15 cards per booster.) Starters are $15, reduced to $12 with discount.

I might be intersted in trying this out if someone wanted to split a case of boosters.

I doubt I'll get a case on my own, although Zack and I would certainly enjoy playing together (and this would be a few bucks cheaper than the $80 WoW board game...).
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

No thanks. I've almost got the collectible bug out of my system. :)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Since I've all but dropped Mechwarrior, and only occasionally buy Star Wars, another collectable game just doesn't float my boat. I don't have the time or the energy to keep "on top" of things, collect the latest cool shiny thing, etc. So I'll pass as well...

Damon.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, most people passed on this the first time around, and Lance and I even only played head to head a few times. Heck, you guys even gave us the decks you got free at Gen Con.

And, as a card game, I think it's fun, and as a replica of WoW, it does quite a good job.

One thing we never got to try was the big instance decks - like Onyxia or Molten Core.

Well, here's two reviews (trust me, they're in there) from Penny Arcade about the Molten Core raid deck. Seems with one person running the raid deck, and a few others working together with their decks, it plays out very much like a DM running characters through a table-top RPG adventure.

Check it out:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/03/17

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2008/03/24

I'd be interested in giving this a run some time.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

OHHHHHHHH, Is THAT what the comic was about?! (I have this moment a lot with Penny Arcade). Sounds interesting, I'd give it a go sometime.
erilar

Post by erilar »

It sounds really fun, and I was just looking at the new(?) Magtheridon raid deck at Borders over the holiday.

That said, I'm becoming pretty jaded with buying new games though, as we never get to play them and they are not cheap. When we do get together, people only want to play the same old stuff anyways. (i.e. no offense, but enough with the HeroClix already...)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, i agree re: the price tag. I've got these decks sitting in the closet, just like I've got the Munchkin set, and a host of other games (even a cool one called Jing I picked up at Home and Planet in Bethlehem), and buying more games, or expansions for the ones I have, often seems counter-productive to our game playing abilities (I don't mean capabilities, just time constraints, and interests).

Same goes for my new xbox 360; I am having a hard time restraining myself from buying more games, but having not finished the ones I have, and not always being able to play with you guys (due to time, or folks not having the same games, etc.) makes it the more practical choice not to buy more games.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yeah, as much as R6 Vegas 2 is trying to burn a hole in my pocket, I'm resisting it for the same reasons. Once I've finished Gears and CoD4 single-player, I know I'll be going after this one. Given the choice, I think that R6V2 would be the one of the three that I'd prefer to play on XBL with you guys (especially since some of the guys already sold back their copy of Gears).

I am hoping that everyone might be interested in R6V2 though (I know Cory and Chris also said they wanted it), even though Halo 3 and Forza 2 are admittedly working pretty well now.

That said, I think R6V2 and Burnout Paradise would be up our group's alley. I hope we can at least try out the demo versions of these online one of these nights. (Download the demos, guys, so we're at least ready to do so!)

It's hard to believe that a few WoW and XBL nights are this hard to pull off, but the biggest hurdle is everyone's schedule. For instance, a lot of times I can play for an hour or two after getting home, but later in the evening Heather usually wants to hang out and watch our TV shows, etc. Unfortunately, most of the others are only usually available after 9pm, including my WoW arena team (which is currently Wed nights).

Anyway, I'm really really enjoying our XBL sessions. Just a shame we're all so busy.