Our plans post-patch??

The former Blackrazor addiction.
erilar

Our plans post-patch??

Post by erilar »

Are we going to start again playing our lvl 40 characters only when we're together?

I'm trying to figure out what talent spec to go with after The Big Patch (which is coming this Tue - w00t!). To be honest, I really want to go back to Protection spec (pure tanking). The problem is, I'm worried that we won't do enough damage as a trio, to kill stuff quickly and progress at a decent speed.

Problem #2 would be if someone gets ahead of the others and I have to solo to catch up again. Soloing in Prot spec is very slow and painful, IMO.

Damon, I'm not sure what spec you are? What I'm thinking is: if I go Prot spec, and you go with a high-damage spec (I guess that would be Retribution-based), then we will probably do pretty well grouped up. Jon mostly heals, I get beat upon, and Damon layeth down the rightious smack.

Jon, you're going with a max-healing spec, right (i.e. you're not going Shadow)?

If Damon and Jon both choose a healing spec though - and I take Prot spec - we'll fight like a snails on downers.

Thoughts?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Right now I am more Disc than Holy, but I am working towards a balanced Disc/Holy build that should be a better healing build that even straight Holy (more mana and better mana conservation, along with the boosts to healing). I am most certainly not going Shadow.

I am itching to play Quendaran more, but am fine with just keeping him for our group outings, as those are certainly more fun than soloing, and we are trying to do those more often again.

I'd say go Prot if that is what you want -- our dps shouldn't be too bad. Remember, Tarrek is all prot, and at 60, I can still grind with him fairly well. His dps is lower than if he were Arms or Fury, but he still does OK. Besides, in the group setting, it's not all about the speed of leveling. At least not quite in the same way it is for soloing.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Another option we have is for me to bring my rogue up to grouping level -- he's only a few levels shy now. That way, if Damon wanted to take more of a healing role, and you were going Prot, he could carry more of the dps as we bring the Light to the dark places of Azeroth. :)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Right now Durric is IIRC going the Holy path (which IIRC for pallies is the healing stuff). Is this new patch supposed to reset our perks?

I think customizing the characters to play on each strenght is not a bad thing. Except I rarely use retrubution stuff, so I'd have to re-learn all that stuff! :P

Damon.
erilar

Post by erilar »

In my mind, it makes sense to set us each a traditional role. MMO's are designed around the triumvirate of healer/tank/damage-dealer.

Still, Damon's char is a hybrid class, so it's not so cut and dry. Most likely, we'll do just fine whatever we all pick. I just know that I don't want to go Prot if I'm going to be soloing much.

Damon, re the upcoming "2.0" patch on Tuesday, here's the deal: This is the patch that adds all the deeper talents to the game - the ones that are being added because people will be leveling up to 70 and wanting to further specialize as they do so. So, each talent "tree" will now be 9 tiers deep instead of 7. In other words, we'll need at least 41 talent points spent in each tree to get to the highest talent.

There will be a free re-spec given along with the patch next week, so we're all free to choose whichever path we want. Right now, I'm Arms spec, which mostly centers around doing lots of damage with a big 2-hander. But I'm thinking I want to switch to talents that will make me a better tank, which isn't necessarily the best for soloing (but doesn't preclude it either).

Fair warning, when the expansion comes out in mid-January, I'm going to be playing Erilar heavily. I really miss exploring new places that I've never seen, and he's hands-down my favorite character. That also means that I'll be neglecting Urabus. I won't want to play him on nights that the three of us can't get together - I'll want to be stomping around Outland with Erilar, pet in tow.

We've got several options. I don't know how much you are playing now, Damon, but you could go nuts and try to level Durric up to 60 before the expansion launches. That's a pretty attainable goal if you're playing 3 or 4 sessions a week, especially if there are a lot of helpful people to play with in your guild.

If you only can play a few nights a week, then I'd suggest that we continue to meet one night or two, playing the chars we have been, and on off nights you can play alts.

I also don't know that Jon wants. If he'd like to get Quen up to 60, and we're (or I'm) holding him back, I don't want that either.

Jon might also rather just play Quen solo, since he's going on 2nd shift. You and I could play our 40's both when we're not together and also get together when we can. In that case, I'm definitely not speccing Prot - I'll want to go with a damage-heavy build.

If you guys want to start leveling Quen and Durric quickly, then maybe we can play together with our lower-tier guys (if we can equalize them). I'm at 25 or so with Feyla, and she can heal, DPS, or tank - whichever we need. I wouldn't mind focusing on getting her up to the low 30's to match you guys - I like playing her.

I'm just trying to figure out what we all want to do so I can plan accordingly. You guys tell me what you'd like to do. (Jon, I hereby forbid you to be all mega-congenial. I *want* to know what you'd prefer to do with Quen. I'm open.)

My other character's specs are already figured out. Erilar will be Beastmastery, and Feyla will be Feral - those are easy choices. I'm having a hell of a time with Urabus, though.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Damon, here's the page all about the new talents and spells for each class. There's a "talent calculator" for each that you can use to figure out your new build.

Read each talent carefully - many of the existing talents have had subtle changes made to them. Many new talents were also added, even to the lower tier levels.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jon told me on Sat that he's content to play Quen when we can get together, and to try to keep us all at the same level.

Does it still look like Sundays would work for you, Damon? How about you, Jon?

I worked on trying to catch Urabus up to you guys over the weekend, and I'm only a bit shy of lvl 39 now. Desolace has been a much better place to solo in than STV. I kept all my yellow STV quests, but they are mostly elite and will be better for us to do as a group when we do get together.

Damon, there's a quest in Desolace that's a prequel to the Scarlet Monastery instance. You get it from a SM guy that's in the upstairs of the inn at Nijel's Point (the Alliance camp in northern Desolace), and involves killing 30 skeletons in far-south Desolace. You might want to try to pick that one up so you can get all the rewards once we start going to SM.

Desolace will also be a great place to help you catch up to Quen (who's lvl 41 now). It's easy to solo there. The early quests will be green to you, but you'll be able to tear through them quickly. Will also help in case you and I happen to be on at the same time during the week - we can help each other out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go straight Protection spec. Have you thought more about what you're going to do, Damon?
erilar

Post by erilar »

So, nobody's answering my questions. Am I being annoying yet?

Have you been playing any, Damon? Haven't seen you on.

I'm wondering if we're going to try to quest together on Sunday night? If so, where would you like to go?

A few options:
* Work on our tougher Elite quests in STV
* Go hit the Library section of the Scarlet Monastery instance! If we decide on this destination, I will recruit two people from our guild ahead of time to go with us. Even if we can't get two more, I'm betting that we can do the Graveyard section by ourselves.
* Is Durric lvl 40 yet? If so, I think we should help him with his mount quest as our first priority.

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to spec Urabus. I'm leaning towards speccing Arms (2H damage) and then re-speccing to Prot after soloing to catch up to Quen's soon-to-be lvl 42. (I'm just shy of lvl 39 now and still questing in Desolace.)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Sorry, Lance, I was waiting for Damon to chime in. I'd love for us to group up and do some gaming together on Sunday night. I'm all for helping Damon with his mount quest too, if he's ready for that - except, iirc from Bob's experience, there's not much to do to for the level 40 quest. It's the level 60 that requires mucho effort. But, yes, that should be first priority. And, I'd be down for SM graveyard/library if everyone wants to do that. Knocking out any elite quests we have is a good backup plan if we cant get people for an SM run. I know we all probably have some of the STV ones, but really, any elite quests any of us have would be worth working on.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Sorry, I just haven't been able to play lately. As for Sunday, it will depend on whether Ken's playtest of the SW game pans out or not. So we'll see.

I was playing Monday afternoon, trying to wade through that skeleton quest. I'm also apparently having an issue with my internet connection where I'll be connected for several minutes, and then I get a disconnect from server error message. I get the same experience browsing too (I'll be surfing the internet for a while, then all of a sudden get "unable to load page" error message). I'm not sure at this time if its a router problem with my wireless or with the internet connection in general. I'm going to reset the modem tonite...

Damon.
erilar

Post by erilar »

No apologies necessary, D - just seeing what you've been up to.

Let us know ASAP what your choice will be on Sunday so we can make plans accordingly.

Something definitely sounds funky with your connection. Is your computer connected to your router via wireless? Your trouble sounds like the wireless problems we have at my house due to the plethora of wireless users in my area.

If you're not using wireless, you should definitely call your wireless provider tech service and see if they can help you out - something is rotten in Denmark.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jon and Damon - what time would you like to start playing, if we do? Jon, if Damon is busy, do you still want to play with U and Q?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The Pally quest at 40th is this: go to the chapel of light. Talk to the quest guy. Talk to him again. All done. :)
Jonkga wrote:iirc from Bob's experience, there's not much to do to for the level 40 quest.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Cool, thanks Bob. I thought it was something really difficult like that. :)

Lance, I am free all day Sun, and could start whenever works for you guys. I'd definitely like to play, with Damon would be fabulous, but if he can't make it, I'm still up for playing.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Yeah, my PC is on wireless, so it may very well be too many users. I haven't scanned lately to see whatelse is available...maybe I will tonite! :twisted:

Damon.