XKCD

A place for members of the public to meet, talk and pass out.
NukeHavoc

XKCD

Post by NukeHavoc »

Movie Narrative Charts
http://xkcd.com/657/

Brilliant on its own. Priceless with Primer included.

(Primer being the best time travel movie ever made ... right up to the point where it stopped making any and all sense).

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Re: XKCD

Post by Jonkga »

XKCD is frequently awesome. And, I agree, Primer is amazing, although I didn't find it completely incomprehensible at the end (and I don't even like time travel movies).
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:XKCD is frequently awesome. And, I agree, Primer is amazing, although I didn't find it completely incomprehensible at the end (and I don't even like time travel movies).
I've often thought it would be a good movie to screen as a group, because I think it might take a group to tease out the complexities. :) I love its scientific approach to time travel; it feels *real* you know? But once the myriad timelines started overlapping, they lost me, mostly because the whole party subplot felt like it jumped out of nowhere. I think it came back together again at the end, but man, that was a bumpy ride in the last third of the movie.

Then again, based on what I've read about Primer ... that was the point. The director was trying to mimic the disorientation of time travel, and I think he did a good job with that. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

yeah, I'd agree with your sentiments - it got disorienting on purpose, but there were enough clues in the dialog to figure most of it out. And, I did watch it with others, so talking through the plot certainly helped.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost