Buying a Cheapass Windows PC

A place for members of the public to meet, talk and pass out.
NukeHavoc

Buying a Cheapass Windows PC

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm thinking of buying a cheap ass Windows PC, both to continue acting as a print server for my laser printer and to let me run some of the Windows-only RPG utilities I have (yeah, I could use Sue's machine, but I'd rather not...)

So I'm thinking of spending something like $400-$500 to a Windows XP box, sans monitor and accessories. Any recommendations on where to look? Dell's site was kind of annoying, since they insist on selling me a monitor. Gateway was better, insomuch as I could ditch the monitor.

Any other suggestions?

Ken
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'd suggest going up to best buy and getting an open box HP or compaq. I love my compaq lappy I got that way, and it was much cheaper. (Make sure you talk them down :wink: ) I think when I spec'd it out on compaq's website it was almost $300 more. They have the same guarantee, you can get the same extended warranty. Plus hp and compaq seem to be the machines that are easiest to upgrade later.

I think thats the best way for what your going for. If you buy a dell your paying for the service. Sony and Toshiba thought good machines, are overpriced for what your looking for.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'd suggest going up to best buy and getting an open box HP or compaq. I love my compaq lappy I got that way, and it was much cheaper.
Hmmm. I'm torn -- on the one hand, a cheap PC. On the other ... my lifetime of bad experiences with anything relating to Compaq. :)

It's a good idea though -- I think I'll swing by Sam's Club and Wal-mart to see what they've got as well.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

See, now we had a Hp that lasted FOREVER (like we got it back in 94 and I think it STILL runs). I'm currently loving my new compaq lappy. But I could see where your comming from. Good luck.