New Character: Follower of Keoghtom, Servant of Fharlanghn

The Geoff/Sterich campaign.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Looks good! What's his name? :)
I don't have one yet. And looking at the stat block, I see I forgot to add in the 11th level. :)

I'd like something old and Keoish sounding, reflecting his pilgramatic, Old Lore, Keoish ways. Suggestions are welcome; otherwise I'll mess around with the Everlasting Book of Names and see what I get.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Looks like a cool staff. Wayfarer (the Staff of Wisdom, brother to Wayfinder ;) ) Is it Ghost Touch on both ends? Do you use it double ended?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Looks like a cool staff. Wayfarer (the Staff of Wisdom, brother to Wayfinder ;) ) Is it Ghost Touch on both ends? Do you use it double ended?
Nah, too many feats required to use it double ended, and I think it would dilute him too much to give him the two levels of ranger he'd need to get the necessary feats. Then again, it would be in keeping with his character to have those ranger levels and it would give him more travel-type skills ... it would come at the price of losing 6th level spells though.
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

At this point, I agree, it's probably more useful to have access to 6th level spells than to have your cleric be able to attack with both ends of the staff (although taking level 1 as Ranger gives you the ability to get a passable Hide/Move Silently ability, at least 4 ranks, maybe a few cross class points here and there).

But picking up a level of ranger from here forward may not be a bad idea. *shrug*.

Multiclassing is just so darn attractive an option!! :)
NukeHavoc wrote:it would come at the price of losing 6th level spells though.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:At this point, I agree, it's probably more useful to have access to 6th level spells than to have your cleric be able to attack with both ends of the staff (although taking level 1 as Ranger gives you the ability to get a passable Hide/Move Silently ability, at least 4 ranks, maybe a few cross class points here and there).

But picking up a level of ranger from here forward may not be a bad idea. *shrug*.

Multiclassing is just so darn attractive an option!! :)
Yeah, but from a min/max point of view, if I take a level of ranger at first level, I get about 16 more skill points. Then again, I don't know how much outside work we'll be doing from here on out.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I agree. It's difficult to pass up the benefits. A few extra hitpoints, 16 extra skill points (and some very useful skills to go with them), a favored enemy and Tracking.

But then at this point, giving up 6th level spells, including the very important "Heal", if also very difficult. And with the Scribe Scroll feat, you can actually make a little store of emergency scrolls.

And there are some other really useful 6th level spells, like Forbiddance, Banishment, Blade Barrier, Find the Path, Wind Walk, Word of Recall, some Mass spells, like Mass Bulls Strength, or Mass Bears Endurance. Even though you'll only have a limited number of 6th level slots, you can have quite a few 6th level scolls. Especially when you get them at creation cost instead of purchase cost (for initial equipment buy).
Yeah, but from a min/max point of view, if I take a level of ranger at first level, I get about 16 more skill points. Then again, I don't know how much outside work we'll be doing from here on out.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

A list of 200 random Keoish names (from EBoN 3.4 name generator with the Greyhawk module)

Aighrin, Ailbhe, Ailein, Aonno, Ardin, Arin, Arkine, Armond, Arve, Benoric, Bhadin, Bhibree, Brairt, Brighde, Brighde, Briona, Brona, Brothag, Brulan, Brunach, Bruthag, Carcin, Cealgivis, Cella, Ciag, Cidonna, Cilan, Cingan, Cionchaidh, Cionnghual, Clildid, Cline, Codomaid, Coilin, Coistin, Colla, Connlaidh, Corbhile, Cordag, Cothillig, Crainne, Crina, Cringhid, Cugivis, Cuirmairne, Cullann, Culona, Cunnag, Daig, Dein, Delgart, Denan, Deonag, Deorlag, Derdin, Dere, Dionnla, Dionnsgoth, Diorflas, Dobrell, Dobrin, Dochalin, Dochann, Dodach, Dodann, Dodar, Doline, Dollann, Donna, Donna, Donnall, Donnlaith, Dorcunt, Dordulpein, Dorell, Dorlaith, Dornac, Dregya, Duan, Dubni, Duin, Duireach, Dunnidyi, Durdonnan, Durgan, Dusgann, Eilig, Eirig, Eirka, Eithig, Ellan, Encha, Eonaid, Eorag,
Ervis, Fain, Feann, Felleys, Fenalin, Ferbhinbran, Finarn, Fioghal, Fiolguil, Fionaidh, Fionchona, Fionguil, Fionnall, Fionnghal, Fiontach, Fithrid, Gail,
Galin, Galtermleth, Gean, Gemyas, Haes, Homnall, Idona, Ilene, Irdan, Islaine, Kidean, Lalkos, Leodag, Leornag, Leortnaed, Leortnag, Lhadoes, Lhalin, Lormlaidh, Lusag, Lusona, Madr, Mainn, Mairne, Marin, Matne, Matni, Menance, Menga, Mibya, Modubni, Molgar, Mongan, Monnaig, Monnaill, Monnall, Montirchad, Mordann, Morgann, Morgine, Moria, Mornall, Morvoca, Mosaidh, Mughiran, Muibrace, Muin, Muirinan, Muirulas, Munga, Mungo, Munneldan, Murina, Nella, Niag, Nirid, Oilla, Oinaill, Oireach, Olaidh, Olle, Oltan, Onchi, Orflune, Othrell, Plul, Rhonchann, Rhonn, Riolas, Rionnaidh, Rontari, Rualloch, Sain, Sebree, Sennait, Sighte, Sollghual, Sirmithbran, Sithech, Skeill, Teonnag, Teor, Tirk, Trag, Treark, Tronan, Wys, Zynosag
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:And there are some other really useful 6th level spells, like Forbiddance, Banishment, Blade Barrier, Find the Path, Wind Walk, Word of Recall, some Mass spells, like Mass Bulls Strength, or Mass Bears Endurance. Even though you'll only have a limited number of 6th level slots, you can have quite a few 6th level scolls. Especially when you get them at creation cost instead of purchase cost (for initial equipment buy).
Based on what we've seen so far, I think the 6th level spells will ultimately help the party far more than the two levels of ranger, since we already have outdoorsy types in the party.

I may change the quarterstaff to something else -- I need to come up with something at least half-as-cool as the Grick Stick. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hmmm. Maybe I'll make an intelligent quarterstaff, though one that's empathic rather than vocal, with only lesser powers, one of which could be 10 ranks in Knowledge (nature) or some other trail-friendly skill. For the other lesser ability, I'm thinking of something from the ranger spell list, like "Pass without Trace" or "Animal Messenger"
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Since you can create new knowledge skills to cover areas not listed in the character sheet, a skill like Knowledge(travel) may be a good catch-all. That being said, for the Big F, geography would be appropriate too...

Damon.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Cool idea! It IS difficult to compare to the Grick Stick, but an empathic QStaff is a good shot!
NukeHavoc wrote:Hmmm. Maybe I'll make an intelligent quarterstaff, though one that's empathic rather than vocal, with only lesser powers, one of which could be 10 ranks in Knowledge (nature) or some other trail-friendly skill. For the other lesser ability, I'm thinking of something from the ranger spell list, like "Pass without Trace" or "Animal Messenger"
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Since you can create new knowledge skills to cover areas not listed in the character sheet, a skill like Knowledge(travel) may be a good catch-all. That being said, for the Big F, geography would be appropriate too...
I think Knowledge::Geography would be the way to go -- depending on how we interpret it I think it would get you knowledge of things like roads, trails, inns, etc.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Knowledge: AAA!!!
NukeHavoc wrote:I think Knowledge::Geography would be the way to go -- depending on how we interpret it I think it would get you knowledge of things like roads, trails, inns, etc.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:A list of 200 random Keoish names (from EBoN 3.4 name generator with the Greyhawk module)
I'm thinking of something old-sounding and multi-syballic (all the harder for me to pronounce. :))

I like:

Durdonnan
Ferbhinbran
Galtermleth
Sirmithbran

What do you guys think?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I like Durdonnan too! :)

But really, since I'm not doing that anymore, and Jess isn't at the table, the penalty for really bad names is almost gone. You could call him monkeypumper and it'd be okay. We'd just shorten to "monk".
NukeHavoc wrote:I like: Durdonnan