New Character: Follower of Keoghtom, Servant of Fharlanghn

The Geoff/Sterich campaign.
NukeHavoc

New Character: Follower of Keoghtom, Servant of Fharlanghn

Post by NukeHavoc »

Since Wee Jas has been so popular lately, I figured I'd look to a more obscure god for divine inspiration.

The character I have in mind is part explorer, part traveller, part follower of the Ways first trod by the hero-god Keoghtom (hero god of secret pursuits, natural alchemy, and extraplaner exploration). As a mortal, Keoghtom was a native of the Sheldomar Valley in the centuries following the Great Migrations. He was also a follower (and later adventuring companion) of the god Fharlanghn.

My character would have come to Istavan on a pilgrimage of sorts and would have eventually gotten caught up in the mysterious events taking place in the city. His investigations will have led him to the Seer ... who of course has now disappeared.

For a class, I'm looking at a straight 11th level cleric, technically a follower of Fharlanghn. I'm looking to make him a versatile cleric through the feats Extra Turning and Divine Metamagic (which lets you burn turn attempts to power meta magic feats). In turn, he'll have at least the Reach Spell (turn touch spells in to a ray with a 30 ft. range) and Transdimensional Spell (cause your spells to normally effect incorporal, ethereal, shadow or creatures within an extradimensional space). I'm also considering the Jack of All Trades feat to give him the well-roundedness you'd expect from a traveller. My Lvl 12 feat would most likely be something meta magic oriented, either Extend or Empower (though Quicken could be very useful -- cast a healing spell as a free action powered by the turning attempt)

Magic item-wise I'll be looking at items that are planar in nature, either because they can directly hurt such creatures (a la ghost touch) or because they have some sort of useful property (cold iron, good aligned, etc.)

Thoughts?
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Nice.

What are you considering for Domains? I see he allows Good, Knowledge, and Travel. I'm not certain if it was updated but Celerity is similar to Travel. Celerity is a nice domain - not as powerful as Travel's domains of Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport, or the domain power of Freedom of Movement. Celerity is scaled back to +10 move, with Blur, Haste, and Tree Stride... it depends on how powerful you want him to be.

Knowledge provides some alternative skills but still does not provide the skill points required.

I guess with 3.0 and 3.5 they removed the rule that clerics praying to a demi-god or lesser god receive limited spells (e.g., demi-god clerics could only cast to 5th level, etc.)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

T1Mirage wrote:What are you considering for Domains? I see he allows Good, Knowledge, and Travel. I'm not certain if it was updated but Celerity is similar to Travel. Celerity is a nice domain - not as powerful as Travel's domains of Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport, or the domain power of Freedom of Movement. Celerity is scaled back to +10 move, with Blur, Haste, and Tree Stride... it depends on how powerful you want him to be.
Knowledge provides some alternative skills but still does not provide the skill points required.
If he's a follower of Fharlanghn, then Luck and Travel are possible domains (and one more, which escapes me). I'd probably go with those given the nature of the campaign to date. Also, instead of jack of all trades I may take the spontenous domain feat, which allows you to burn turning attempts to power domain spells, and choose Travel as the domain. It's worked well for Jakob Dworkin in Maure Castle, and I wouldn't mind having that available to one of my PCs. :) Plus, I'm looking at this character (at least ability wise) as almost a sorcerous cleric, using Extra Turning to power all manner of alternative feats. Should make him the sort of flexible cleric-type we've been needing.

I guess with 3.0 and 3.5 they removed the rule that clerics praying to a demi-god or lesser god receive limited spells (e.g., demi-god clerics could only cast to 5th level, etc.)
Yep.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ahhhhhh, I love clerics. And talking about them. And stating them. And building them. And playing them. :)

Ken, I think this is a great angle. Fharlanghn is a seldom seen power in our games. I believe Grott was the first, so you've got some big boots to fill. :)

I think the 3rd domain is Protection. Which is cool, but not so much as Travel or Luck.

whoops. I'll be back in a bit.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

K. had to relocate to a different lab. :)

I think your feat selection is good. The only thing to be aware of is that the Turn attempts get spent pretty fast when using them to power Metamagic feats. And there are some other good Divine feats that focus on combat, like Divine Vengence and Divine Might.

On the other hand, with Torthen destroyed, we're light on general knowledge. My Monk/Wizard can help, but the Jack of All Trades feat will help out a bit, too.

Either way, I think he'll be a real benefit to the group.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

One other quick note: Extra Turning can be taken multiple times, and the additional attempts stack. So if you take it twice, you get 8 extra turn attempts.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I think your feat selection is good. The only thing to be aware of is that the Turn attempts get spent pretty fast when using them to power Metamagic feats. And there are some other good Divine feats that focus on combat, like Divine Vengence and Divine Might.

On the other hand, with Torthen destroyed, we're light on general knowledge. My Monk/Wizard can help, but the Jack of All Trades feat will help out a bit, too.
I thought of taking a level of bard to help with that (since a traveling cleric/bard would fit this character as well as a straight cleric) but the ability attributes aren't complementary, and I think that would dilute the character. I thought about Divine Vengence and Divine Might, but figured he wasn't going to be that kind of fighting cleric.

With an 18 Chr I should get 7 turning attempts a day; with extra turning I get 11. I don't expect to be turning a huge number of undead, so I think I could get away with that many attempts to power my various feats.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I agree, taking levels of Bard will dilute the spell casting ability too much. But otherwise, yes, it would make complete sense.

Wow, 18 Chr? Nice. That will certainly take the pressure off of using Turn attempts. :)
NukeHavoc wrote:I thought of taking a level of bard to help with that (since a traveling cleric/bard would fit this character as well as a straight cleric) but the ability attributes aren't complementary, and I think that would dilute the character. I thought about Divine Vengence and Divine Might, but figured he wasn't going to be that kind of fighting cleric.

With an 18 Chr I should get 7 turning attempts a day; with extra turning I get 11. I don't expect to be turning a huge number of undead, so I think I could get away with that many attempts to power my various feats.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I agree, taking levels of Bard will dilute the spell casting ability too much. But otherwise, yes, it would make complete sense.

Wow, 18 Chr? Nice. That will certainly take the pressure off of using Turn attempts. :)
Maybe 16-17; hadn't quite figured that out yet. He also needs a respectable Wisdom score, so we'll see how it balances out. Even with a 16 he'd get 10 attempts a day.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

If you give him a 16 Chr and a Cloak of Charisma +2, same effect. Cost is only 4000gp. If you want to get all crazy, you can get a Cloak of Chr +4 for 16k. :)
NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:I agree, taking levels of Bard will dilute the spell casting ability too much. But otherwise, yes, it would make complete sense.

Maybe 16-17; hadn't quite figured that out yet. He also needs a respectable Wisdom score, so we'll see how it balances out. Even with a 16 he'd get 10 attempts a day.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Ken -

I think it works well with Sojourn - Divine Vigor. I know it's another 'turn undead' attempt but it may work well with the bonus to constitution and the speed increase is fitting for the deity.

The 2nd level spell "Divine Insight" can give a +15 on any skill check and would last 11 hours until used - which doesn't replace a bard but isn't bad.

Divine Shield may be okay to use. It's a standard to activate and having a bumped up charisma, you're looking at a +6 to AC. Cast Iron Bones for another +6 to natural AC and you could be pretty hard to hit overall.

What about a simple Scribe Scroll? It could be helpful to have a scroll of restoration handy.

I'm looking forward to combining some spells with you to help the party quicker.... Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Recitation, Mass Shield of Faith, etc.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Oooo yeah. Scribe Scroll isn't free for clerics and it's REALLY frickin' useful!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's what I've got so far. "Jack of All Trades" allows him to make checks using any skill, including trained-only ones. The Luck Stone gives him a +1 to all skill checks, so he should be fairly well-rounded (esp. when you factor in some spell buffs.

The Divine Metamagic feat has to be taken for each feat you want to use it with, which seems like too much buck for not enough bang. I dropped it for Scribe Scroll. which should provide us with some needed divine flexibility.

-------------------

Male Human Clr10; CR 10; Medium Humanoid (Human); HD 10d8; hp 53; Init +1; Spd 40 ft/x4; AC 19 (+8 armor, +1 dex), touch 11, flat-footed 18; Base Atk/Grapple +7/+7; Full Atk +8/+3 Ghost touch (1d6+1;20/x2, Wayfarer (Quarterstaff)), +8 Two-handed (1d8;19-20/x2, Light Crossbow); SA&SQ Spontaneous Casting, Restricted Spells, Turn Undead(Su); AL NG; SV Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +11; Str 10(+0), Dex 12(+1), Con 10(+0), Int 14(+2), Wis 17(+3), Cha 16(+3); Skills: Concentration +11, Craft (Alchemy) +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +11, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (geography) +6, Knowledge (nature) +7, Knowledge (religion) +9, Spellcraft +9, Survival +11. Feats: Extra Turning, Scribe Scroll, Domain Spontaneity (Travel), Transdimensional Spell, Jack of All Trades.

Class Abilities: Spontaneous Casting: Can spontaneously cast cure spells, by sacrificing a pre-prepared spell of equal or higher level. Restricted Spells: cannot cast Evil spells. Turn Undead(Su): Can turn undead 10 times per day. A turning check is made on 1d20+5; turning damage is equal to 2d6+13 on a successful check.

Wayfarer (quarterstaff +1, ghost touch), Celestial Armor (+3 chainmail, treated as light armor, fly once per day), Boots of Striding and Springing (+5 Jump checks, +10 land speed), Gloves of Dexterity +2, Stone of Good Luck (+1 to saves, ability checks, skill checks), Ring of Sustenance, Handy Haversack
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

And Ken... there's this awesome 3rd level spell... it only costs 200 exps when you cast it...

nevermind.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Looks good!

What's his name? :)