Who would you bring out of retirement?

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
NukeHavoc

Who would you bring out of retirement?

Post by NukeHavoc »

After last night's game we were kicking around the idea of un-retiring some of the Blackrazors using the 5e rules, either for Nuke(m)Con or one-shots between cons. (we also debated the pros and cons of trying to run a high level "Kill Woryx the Ancient Black Dragon" adventure, but that's really a separate thread).

The question for you all is ... for those of you with high-level D&D characters, who would you bring out of retirement? We were thinking primarily of Blackrazor Guild members (though i realize not everyone has one of those) but possibly our Second Darkness PCs as well.

Knowing which characters you'd un-retire could help us figure out what sort of high level adventures we might want to run. (the other approach would be to figure out the adventures first, but we can talk about that in a separate thread).

We only have a few truly high-level characters (e.g. I think Tanevir was 21st, Kalib and Ragnar are probably 19th or 20th; the other A-Teamers and some of the B-Team are probably mid-to-high level.

So who would you un-retire? List your primary and alternate.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Who would you bring out of retirement?

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Blackrazors:
Alston Rexious, "Rex" part owner and bouncer at Malcanthet's Den (somewhere around level 14-16)
Jonas, The quick bladed fighter (I'm guessing around level 13?)

Related:
Tarien Astaril, elven ranger, and follower of Tanevir Calywyn; while never officially a Blackrazor... he probably would join up given his association with Tanevir. (Westmarks Campaign... low teens?)
Sir Ottomar of River Valley, Knight Commander of the Sword (Khelez-Mar Campaign... low teens?)

In order of who I'd want to play:
#1 Rex
#2 Tarien
#3 Sir Ottomar
#4 Jonas
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I think my highest level character is Gaiseric "Scrappy" the Rapscallion of Greyhawk. IIRC he is 15th level. I would prefer to play Baldwin "The Mighty K'sograh." I'm not sure his level, but less than Gaiseric's, but still in the teens.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hmmm, I think Kalib is best retired now, for good (unless Malphas returns, dagnabit!!!) But if we need a cleric, one of Kalib's henchmen would probably be ok for me to run. Kalib was 20, Ellington was 13 or 14, I think. Benjen was 10 or 12ish, too.

Luc is always fun to play. In 5e I think I'd make him a Battlemaster archtype instead of a Champion.

Sven would also be a good choice, depending on if we need more arcane power.

So I guess my answer is: if the party needs a cleric, I'd play Ellington. If the party needs a wizard I'd play Sven. If the party has a lot of squishies I'd play Luc. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Blackrazors:
  • Erilar (lvl 15) very high level play.
  • Hogarth (Tomb raider fighter/rogue. Level unclear - maybe 10-12 - packed away in a box of books in the attic, but probably findable.)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Just as a comment... if we plan on an extra-planar adventure (Astral, City of Sigil from Planescape, etc.), we could mix and match characters from BOTH Greyhawk (Blackrazors) and Golarion (Second Darkness), as the planes would be a crossroads between prime material game worlds.
NukeHavoc wrote:The question for you all is ... for those of you with high-level D&D characters, who would you bring out of retirement? We were thinking primarily of Blackrazor Guild members (though i realize not everyone has one of those) but possibly our Second Darkness PCs as well.

Knowing which characters you'd un-retire could help us figure out what sort of high level adventures we might want to run. (the other approach would be to figure out the adventures first, but we can talk about that in a separate thread).
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

setanta14 wrote:Just as a comment... if we plan on an extra-planar adventure (Astral, City of Sigil from Planescape, etc.), we could mix and match characters from BOTH Greyhawk (Blackrazors) and Golarion (Second Darkness), as the planes would be a crossroads between prime material game worlds.
Yeah but since Cutheric is no longer a Vampire...meh...

Damon :twisted:
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ohhhhhhkay. Over in the other thread Ken was talking about Woryx. That definitely requires Kalib. And maybe Luc and Sven, too. :)

And maybe Thyur from Second Darkness, because, damn, he was super badass!!
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

That's likely for next year... this year a tier lower so we aren't playing high level 5E for the first time with our favorite A-Teamers
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

For this go around:
-"Ian" (time clone of Killian), 16th
-Leveled up version of Krovacar Fawkes (last played at 6th?)
-Heydrich, 14th
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Ohhhhhhkay. Over in the other thread Ken was talking about Woryx. That definitely requires Kalib. And maybe Luc and Sven, too. :)

And maybe Thyur from Second Darkness, because, damn, he was super badass!!
I appreciate the enthusiasm but I'm thinking we'd do one character per person for Woryx or even 5e will slow to a crawl. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Well, that's easy for me: Gavin "Two Cups" Gallows / 2nd Darkness
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."