Luc Conversion

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
EvilGenius

Luc Conversion

Post by EvilGenius »

Name: Luc Krolnochack
Race: Hill Dwarf
Background: Guild Artisan
Class: Fighter
Archtype: Battlemaster
Level: 16

Abils: Mod Save
Str 25___7___12
Dex 10___0___0
Con 20___5___10
Int 18___ 4___4
Wis 14___2___7
Chr 10___0___0

Skills:
Athletics +12
History +9
Insight +7
Investigation +9
Nature +9
Perception +7

HP: 276
AC: 23

Armor: Plate Mail +2, Adamantine
Attacks: 3 main, 1 off
(Dual Weapon Wielding)
+14 to hit (x4)
1d8+9 damage (x4)

Dryshek (+2 Adamantine Battleaxe, Throwing/Returning)
Dumatharl (+2 Adamantine Battleaxe, functions as a Wand of Secrets)

Class Abilities:
Fighting style: Two-Weapon Fighting
Second Wind
Action Surge (one use)
Martial Archtype: Battle Master
Superiority Dice: 6d10
9 Maneuvers known - use only one per attack (DC20)
* Commanders Strike
* Maneuvering Attack
* Distracting Strike
* Parry
* Precision Attack
* Pushing Attack
* Riposte
* Feinting Attack
* Menacing Attack
Extra Attack (2)
Martial Archtype Feature (Know your Enemy)
Indomitable (Two Uses)
Martial Archtype Feature (Relentless)

Feats:
Tough
Dual Wielder
Skilled
Alert
Observant
Resilient

Magical Items:
+2 Plate Mail, Adamantine (no)
Dryshek +2 Battleaxe, Adamantine, Throwing (maybe?)
Dumatharl +2 Battleaxe, Adamantine, functions as a Wand of Secrets (no)
Belt of Fire Giant Strength (Str 25) (yes)
Gem of Seeing (as a Ring) (yes)
Ring of Protection (yes)
Ring of Swimming (no)
Ioun Stone (Absorbing) (yes)
Tear of Krovis
Silver Griffin's Medallion

Kildare's Ever Ready Potion Sling (stores 5 potions, can call a potion to the spout and drink with an action. Does not
require free hands) (no)
Potion of Speed
Potion of Water Breathing x3
Potion of Heroism x4
Potion of Superior Healing
Potion of Greater Healing
Potion of Resistance x2

Skie's Locks and Bolts (Arcane Lock or Knock on all locks withing 30'. Reset after a long rest).
Last edited by EvilGenius on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Lars Porsenna

Re: Luc Conversion

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I don't have the book with me here at work, but isn't there a hard ceiling on abilities of 20?

Edit: oh, belt of Fire Giant Strength...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So Luc has either 4 or 5 attunement items. In 3e, Dryshek was a +3 battleaxe with the throwing/returning properties. In 5e, throwing/returning isn't a type of weapon, but there is a Dwarven Thower, which is a hammer. The Dwarven Thrower does require attunement, but it also is a +3 weapon and does an additional die of damage when thrown, and 2 additional dice of damage when thrown at a giant. Dryshek doesn't do that, and I was converting it as a +2 weapon.

So I think we could either say that Dryshek is a +2 weapon with the throwing stats that doesn't require attunement, or Dryshek is a 5e Dwarven Thrower (but as an axe instead of hammer) that does require attunement. What do you think, Ken?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:So I think we could either say that Dryshek is a +2 weapon with the throwing stats that doesn't require attunement, or Dryshek is a 5e Dwarven Thrower (but as an axe instead of hammer) that does require attunement. What do you think, Ken?
I haven't looked. Does the DMG provide any guidance on what kinds of magic abilities should require attunement?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

There's some guidelines. It says they are using them to prevent parties from passing around items and all getting benifits. However mechanically it's also limiting the amount of powerful magic items a single character can use at a time.

I think so far we are just comparing what we had with what examples are in the book to make our best judgement calls.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Its seems usually everything from Rare items up require attunement
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hmm. Upon reflection, I'm not sure battlemaster is the right archetype for Luc. In his 3e build he had weap specialization and improved crit feats, so I think I'll just redo him as a Champion. Maybe I'll take the martial training feat and keep a few maneuvers.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

As a side note, there is a lacking of an archery focused martial path for fighters... sure, there's a fighting style and feats to take, but no dedicated path.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

In light of our ongoing conversion discussions, I've been looking at converting Luc's items in a more thematic, rather than literal, manner.

First up is Dryshek. In 3e, it was a +3 Adamantine (from RtToEE Wish) Battleaxe with the Throwing and Returning properties (they were separate properties in 3e). Dryshek was always an ersatz Dwarven Thrower in battleaxe form. Since there are no Throwing/Returning properties in 5e, and in order to simplify whether it does or does not require attunement, I suggest we just make Dryshek a Dwarven Thrower (Battleaxe).

For reference, here's the 5e Dwarven Thrower:

Dwarven Thrower:
Weapon, Very Rare (requires attunement, warhammer, dwarf)
You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. It has the thrown property with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. When you hit with a ranged attack using this weapon, it deals an extra 1d8 damage or, if the target is a giant, 2d8 damage. Immediately after the attack, the weapon flies back to your hand.

So that would give us this:
Dryshek
Adamantine Dwarven Thrower (Battleaxe) (Gleaming Minor Property)
You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. It has the thrown property with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. When you hit with a ranged attack using this weapon, it deals an extra 1d8 damage or, if the target is a giant, 2d8 damage. Immediately after the attack, the weapon flies back to your hand.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Next up, Luc's armor. Originally it was +3 Plate Mail of Command, and at the end of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Luc used a Wish to turn his metal gear into adamantine. So then it was +3 Adamantine Plate Mail of Command.

In 5e, Adamantine plate mail already exists. As discussed in other threads, +2 Plate Mail is pretty rare and the Command ability doesn't really exist.

In looking through the DMG, I saw this:

Dwarven Plate
Armor, Very Rare (plate)
While wearing this armor, you gain a +2 bonus to AC. In addition, if an effect moves you against your will along the ground, you can use your reaction to reduce the distance you are moved by up to 10 feet.

So that's +2 plate mail, with a dwarven theme. And for Luc, the stability-like feature is certainly more thematic than Command. So, I propose that I convert Luc's armor to this:

Adamantine Dwarven Plate (Compass Minor Property, to help avoid getting lost when above ground where you can't read the stone.)
While wearing this armor, you gain a +2 bonus to AC. In addition, if an effect moves you against your will along the ground, you can use your reaction to reduce the distance you are moved by up to 10 feet.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Next up, Luc's Ring of Seeing. In 3e, the Ring of Seeing gave Luc Trueseeing 3/day. That ring doesn't exist in 5e, but the ring was always a variant form of the Gem of Seeing. So let's just make it a Gem of Seeing and be done with it.

Here's the 5e Gem of Seeing, for reference:

Gem of Seeing
Wondrous Item, Rare (requires attunement)
This gem has 3 charges. As an action, you can speak the gem's command word and expend 1 charge. For the next 10 minutes, you have truesight out to 120 feet when you peer through the gem.
The gem regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Next up, Dumatharl. In 3e, Dumatharl was a +3 Adamantine (from the RtToEE Wish) Battleaxe that could detect secret doors 3/day.

There is an item in 5e which approximates the detect secret doors property: a Wand of Secrets. For reference, here's the Wand of Secrets:

Wand of Secrets
Wand, Uncommon
The wand has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its charges, and if a secret door or trap is within 30 feet of you, the wand pulses and points at the one nearest to you. The wand regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn.

So I had already folded that into Dumatharl, which gives us this:

Dumatharl
+2 Adamantine Battleaxe, Delver Minor Property, Religious: Dumathoin
Dumatharl has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its charges, and if a secret door or trap is within 30 feet of you, the Dumatharl pulses and points at the one nearest to you. Dumatharl regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Also, there's nothing that says the Gem can't be set in a ring, so it could still be a Ring of Seeing, but the stone is where the actual magic is.
EvilGenius wrote:So let's just make it a Gem of Seeing and be done with it.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Next up, Kildare's Ever Ready Potion Sling. :)

This is a unique item Luc commissioned which upgraded the trusty potion sling of his own design. It's functionally a lesser Heward's Handy Haversack. It's like a largish wineskin with a spout on the shoulder strap, near the wearers mouth. :)

I didn't specific in 3e how many potions the Sling could carry, but I think 5 is pretty reasonable. If there are no objections, I'd also like to add the ability for the Sling to carry water and dwarven ale, too.

So that would give us this:

Kildare's Ever Ready Potion Sling
(stores 5 potions, can call a potion to the spout and drink with an action. Can also call clean, fresh water, or strong dwarven ale. Does not require free hands)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Would the +3 revert to a +2 on the 5E scale?

Also, adamantine for a weapon would be unnecessary, and just flavor.
EvilGenius wrote:Dumatharl
+3 Adamantine Battleaxe, Delver Minor Property, Religious: Dumathoin
Dumatharl has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its charges, and if a secret door or trap is within 30 feet of you, the Dumatharl pulses and points at the one nearest to you. Dumatharl regains 1d3 expended charges daily at dawn.