Kalib Conversion

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Kalib Conversion

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Kalib is currently at 25 AC and 234 HP. That's pretty healthy.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, and is a 20th level character, so same AC, 1/3 the HP's, and the Tarrasque averages 148 points of damage (at +19 to hit) per round from just melee attacks. Gods forbid you get swallowed, and it has 3 legendary actions on top of its normal attacks.
Hardcorhobbs wrote:Kalib is currently at 25 AC and 234 HP. That's pretty healthy!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Eyes of Minute seeing give you advantage on investigation without attunement. So how about we give the armor advantage on one charisma based skill?

Shouldn't the shield only be +1?
I think advantage on one Chr skill would be pretty cool. Persuasion seems the most likely.

I'd already converted the pluses on the Shield. This was the 3e version:

+3 Heavy Mithril Shield
Called (Teleports to hand as free action)
Absorbing (negates 3 lvls of level drain/day, grants save vs level drain attacks that do not normally allow saves Success = 1/2 effect
Animated (floats within 2' of bearer, allowing use of both hands without holding shield)

In 5e I was thinking this:
+2 Adamantine Shield, Called, Animated

I can drop it to +1 though, in light of our conversation on ACs.
I wasn't sure how to convert Absorbing so I had originally left it off, but I think simple resistance vs necrotic would work. So that would give me this:

+1 Adamantine Shield, Called, Animated, Resistance vs Necrotic (requires attunement).
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So here's a more faithful conversion of Kalib, with Fighter levels instead of Pally. [Edited for Ken's comments]

Name: Kalib Ironfist
Race: Human (Oerdian)
Background: Noble (Knight)
Class: Fighter/Cleric
Archtype: Battlemaster/War Domain
Level: 4/16

Abilities: Mod Save
Str 12 ____ +1 ____ +1
Dex 15 ___ +2 ____ +8
Con 19 ___ +4 ____ +4
Int 12 ____ +1 ____ +1
Wis 20 ___ +5 ____ +5
Cha 20 ___ +5 ____ +5

Skills:
Proficiency Modifier: +6

HP: 221
AC: 21
Armor:
Bastion, +1 Adamantine Half Plate
Redoubt, Adamantine Shield, Animated, Resistance vs Necrotic (attuned)
+2 Dex, +1 AC bonus for Dual Wielding

Attacks: 2
Init: +4
Justice Seeker, +2 (bastard) sword +9, 1d10+3
and
Quickstrike, +1 Dagger, Guardian, +9, 1d4+3
or
Herald, +1 Mace of Disruption, +8, 1d6+2

Class Abilities:
Fighter
Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighting
Second Wind (1)
Action Surge (1)
Martial Archtype: BattleMaster
* Superiority Dice 4d8
* Precision Attack (when you make an attack roll, expend 1 superiority die to add to roll)
* Riposte (when missed, use reaction to spend superiority die to make melee attack against the creature. Add superiority die to the damage roll)
* Rally (use bonus action and expend 1 superiority die to bolster resolve of 1 companion. Companion gains temp hp = to superiority roll + Chr mod (+%)

Cleric
Domain: War
War Priest (when using Attack action, make one attack as a bonus action. Use 5 times, regain after long rest)
Channel Divinity
* Turn Undead
* Guided Strike (when making an attack roll, gain +10 to hit)
* War God's Blessing (when creature w/i 30' makes an attack roll, use reaction to grant +10 bonus to the roll)
Destroy Undead 3CR or lower
Divine Strike (1/turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, deal an additional 2d8 radiant damage)

Feats:
Dual Wielder (+1 AC when dual wielding, use 2 Weapon Fighting even when weapons aren't light, draw or stow 2 weapons in the time normally takes to draw or stow 1 weapon)
War Caster (adv on Con checks to maintain concentration, perform somatic components even when both hands are full, when hostile creature's move would provoke, can cast any 1-action spell at it instead of making a melee attack.)
Resilient (+1 Dex, proficient with Dex saves)
Defensive Duelist (when hit with melee attack, use finesse weapon to add proficiency modifier to AC, potentially causing attack to miss)

Magical Items:
Justice Seeker, +2 Bastard Sword (Attuned)
Gloves of Spell Storing (not attuned)
Bastion, +1 Adamantine Breastplate, Command (Advantage on 1 Chr check per day)
Redoubt, Adamantine Shield, Animated, Resistance vs Necrotic (Attuned)
QuickStrike, +1 Dagger, Guardian (+2 Init)
Herald, +1 Mace of Disruption
Ring of Free Action (not attuned)
Amulet of Health (attuned)
Scrolls: several
Potions: several
Wands: few

Spell Casting:
5 cantrips
4/3/3/3/2/1/1/1
Spell DC: 19
Spell Attack Modifier: +11
Last edited by EvilGenius on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So this is a pretty good build. I have to map out a few abilities, though. Quite a few abilities use either bonus actions or reactions, so I have to put them all together and see what works with what. :)

Attunement is better but still an issue. I dropped the Command feature from the 1/2 plate altogether for now. If the Command ability that Cory suggests is acceptable, we can add it back in.

But as is, with Justice Seeker, Redoubt and the Amulet of Health, I can't use either the Gloves of Spell Snaring or the Ring of Free Action. Sad Face. :(
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm in the same boat with Rex. Hard to choose between the last few. Question though, what does the amulet of health give you? The con bonus? Can you get that from a spell or potion instead? You essentially get some bonus hp through second wind.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'm in the same boat with Rex. Hard to choose between the last few. Question though, what does the amulet of health give you? The con bonus? Can you get that from a spell or potion instead? You essentially get some bonus hp through second wind.
Heh, the Amulet makes my 10 Con into 19, which gives me 80 extra hp and a +4 to my Con save.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Oh! See I was looking at things like that for Rex, but only for a 1 or 2 point gain, not 4.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Eyes of Minute seeing give you advantage on investigation without attunement. So how about we give the armor advantage on one charisma based skill?
I went back and looked at this in the book. Eyes of Minute Seeing are limited by the fact that they're only good out to 1 foot; the Eyes of the Eagle, which are always on, require attunement.

After looking at that, I'm thinking always-on advantage to a Charisma-based skill is too much without requiring attunement. Once-per-day advantage on a Charisma-based skill seems more reasonable given the overall power of the magic item.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:After looking at that, I'm thinking always-on advantage to a Charisma-based skill is too much without requiring attunement. Once-per-day advantage on a Charisma-based skill seems more reasonable given the overall power of the magic item.
I'm totally ok with that.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

After all of our discussions in converting characters and items, here's the up to date Kalib.

Race: Human
Background: Noble
Class: Cleric/Fighter
Archtype: Domain of War/BattleMaster
Level: 16/4

Str 13____ 1 _____ 1
Dex 10 ____0 _____ 0
Con 19____4 _____ 4
Int 12____ 1 _____ 1
Wis 20____5 _____ 11
Chr 16____3 _____ 9

Skills:
Proficiency Modifier +6
History +7
Insight +11
Investigation +7
Medicine +11
Perception +11
Passive Perception +21
Persuasion +9
Religion +7

HP: 234
AC: 20
Armor: Bastion +2 Adamantine 1/2 Plate, Redoubt Adamantine Animated Shield, Dual Wielding Feat

Attacks: 1 + Bonus Attack with 2nd weapon (Dual Wielding)
Init: +2
Justice Seeker +9 1d8+3 (advantage vs Murderers, plus see below)
Quickstrike +8, 1d4+2 (Guardian minor property, +2 Inititive)
Herald +7, 1d6+1 (Disruption, +2d6 radiant damage to fiends or undead)

Class Abilities:
Fighter:
Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting (When engaging in two weapon fighting, add your ability modifier to the second attack)
Second Wind (on your turn, use a bonus action to regain 1d10+4 hit points. Regain ability after short or long rest)
Action Surge (1)
On your turn, take 1 additional action and a possible bonus action. Regain ability after short or long rest.
Martial Archtype: Battle Master
Martial Archtype: Student of War (gain proficiency with one type of artisan's tools of your choice)
Martial Archtype: Combat Superiority
* Superiority Dice - 4d8
3 Manuevers (1 maneuver per attack, DC15)
* Evasive Footwork (when you move, expend one superiority die, adding the number to your AC until you stop moving)
* Riposte (when a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee attack against the creature. If you hit, add the superiority die to the damage roll.
* Rally (on your turn, you can use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to bolster the resolve of one of your companions. Choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. It gains temporary hit points equal to the superiority die roll +3.

Cleric:
Divine Domain: War
Divine Domain Feature: War Priest
When using the Attack action, make one weapon attack as a bonus action. This can be used 5 times, expended uses are regained after a long rest.
Channel Divinity - 2
* Turn Undead
* Guided Strike
When making an attack roll, gain a +10 bonus. Choose this after the roll, but before the DM says if it is a hit or a miss.
* War God's Blessing
When a creature within 30ft makess an attack roll, use your reaction to graint it a +10 bonus. Choose this after the roll, but before the DM says if it is a hit or miss.
Destroy Undead: CR3 or lower
Divine Domain Feature: Divine Strike
Once each turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, deal an extra 2d8 damage of the same type as the weapon.
Divine Intervention
Roll percentile dice. If the number is equal to or lower than 16, your diety intervenes.

Feats:
Dual Wielder
* Gain a +1 bonus to AC while wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
* Use 2 weapon fighting when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
* Draw or stow 2 one-handed weapons when normally able to draw or stow 1.
Skilled
* Proficient in Investigation
* Proficient in Medicine
* Proficient in Perception
War Caster
* Advantage on Con saves to maintain concentration on a spell when you take damage.
* Perform somatic components of spells when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
* When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at it, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

Magical Items:
Justice Seeker, +2 Long Sword
Gloves of Spell Storing
Bastion, +2 Adamantine Breastplate, Command (advantage on 1 Charisma skill check. Refresh after long rest.)
Redoubt, Adamantine Shield, Animated
QuickStrike, +1 Dagger (Guardian minor property, +2 to Initiative)
Herald, Mace of Disruption
Ring of Free Action
Ring of Protection
Amulet of Health

Spell Casting:
5 Cantrips Known
4/3/3/3/2/1/1/1
Spell DC 19
Spell Attack Modifier +11
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I've been doing a lot of heavy character creation stuff for Hearts of Darkness and so I revisited Kalib and (shocking) I'm thinking of making a few tweaks. :)

First, his Animated Shield. In the interest of de-powering his crazily customized 3e magical items, I kept revising and revising his shield, until I finally just made it a straight up Animated Shield. Which is cool. But given the 3 item attunement limit, I don't think it makes the cut, personally. I can cast Shield of Faith as a reaction and get the same +2 AC bonus.

I don't think I'm going to get rid of it, per se, but I think I'll attune the Gloves of Spell Snaring and leave the shield as a backup which I expect will never get used.

A second tweak that I've been playing around with is swapping Kalib's fighter classes for Rogue. When I first created Kalib he was a fighter who used the non-weapon proficiencies to take dueling-type fighting styles, and I wanted him to get enough levels of fighter to get general weapon specialization.

If I remember my Complete Fighter's Handbook from 2e, it was single weapon fighting style specialization and then I also took two weapon fighting style specialization. But the intent was to make him a 'light fighter'. Later levels in cleric and the absolute NEED for heavier armor changed his play style throughout 3e.

So now in 5e, there are a few different ways to interpret that concept. I can take fighter levels and take the Dueling fighting style or the Two Weapon style and/or the Dual Weapon feat. That's the current build. But I could also take rogue levels and use the swashbuckler archtype from the Sword Coast book. That's a neat build.

With 4 fighter levels Kalib would get:
* Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighting or Dueling
* Second Wind (1)
* Action Surge (1)
* Martial Archtype: BattleMaster

With 4 rogue levels Kalib would get:
* Expertise (Investigation skills to track down targets of Vengeance!)
* Sneak Attack (+2d6)
* Thieve's Cant
* Cunning Action
* Rogue Archtype: Swashbuckler

I really like how the Rogue class works in 5e, and I also really like the benefits of the Swashbuckler archtype. I'll post Kalib as that build to see how it works out.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Sure, complain about the rouge yesterday... take advantage of it today! :P
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Sure, complain about the rouge yesterday... take advantage of it today! :P
Yeah, but it was a minor quibble. And it wasn't really about the rogue, per se, just that if you wanted a character really skilled in something, even if it was Arcana, you're better off taking a rogue than a wizard. I like the rogue. A lot. I just also think that a wizard should be better at Arcana than a rogue, is all. :P
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Kalib as a Cleric of Trithereon/Swashbuckler

Race: Human
Background: Noble (Knight)
Class: Cleric/Rogue
Archtype: Domain of Trithereon/Swashbuckler
Level: 16/4

Str 10____ 0 _____ 0
Dex 13 ___ 1 _____ 1
Con 19____ 4 _____ 10
Int 12____ 1 _____ 1
Wis 18____ 4 _____ 10
Chr 18____ 4 _____ 10

Skills:
Proficiency Modifier +6
History +7
Insight +10
Investigation +7
Passive Investigation +17
Perception +16
Passive Perception +26
Persuasion +16
Religion +7
Survival +10

HP: 226
AC: 19
Armor: Bastion +2 Adamantine 1/2 Plate, Dex, Dual Wielding Feat

Attacks: 1 + Bonus Attack with 2nd weapon (Dual Wielding)
Init: +7
Justice Seeker +8 1d8+2 (+2d8 radiant, 1/rd) (advantage vs Murderers, plus see below)
Quickstrike +8, 1d4+2 (+2d6 sneak, 1/rd) (Guardian minor property, +2 Inititive)
Herald +7, 1d6+1 (Disruption, +2d6 radiant damage to fiends or undead)

Class Abilities:
Rogue:
Expertise Investigation, Persuasion
Sneak Attack +2d6 damage 1/round
Thieves Cant
Cunning Action Dash, Disengage or Hide as a bonus action every round.
Roguish Archtype: Swashbuckler
Roguish Archtype Feature: Fancy Footwork: if you make a melee attack against a creature, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn.
Roguish Archtype Feature: Rakish Audacity: Add Charisma modifier to intitiative. Also, you don't need advantage on attack rolls in order to use Sneak Attack, as long as no creature other than your target is within 5' of you.

Cleric:
Divine Domain: Trithereon
Bonus Proficiencies Choose two skills from: Investigate, Perception, Survival
Divine Domain Feature: Devotee of Liberty
Starting at 1st level, you gain a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1) to any saving throw against any magical effect from the Enchantment school.

Channel Divinity - 2
* Turn Undead
* Champion of Liberty
Starting at 2nd level, whenever you have to make a saving throw against mind-affecting magic, you can use your Channel Divinity to gain advantage on the roll.
Divine Domain Feature:Defender of Liberty
Starting at 6th level, whenever a creature within 30' of you must make a saving throw against an Enchantment effect, you can use your reaction to grant that creature a bonus on it's saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1).
Destroy Undead: CR3 or lower
Divine Domain Feature: Divine (Vengeful) Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with righteous Vengeance. Once on each of your turns, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 damage of the same type dealt by the weapon to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Divine Intervention
Roll percentile dice. If the number is equal to or lower than 16, your deity intervenes.

Feats:
Dual Wielder
* Gain a +1 bonus to AC while wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
* Use 2 weapon fighting when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
* Draw or stow 2 one-handed weapons when normally able to draw or stow 1.
War Caster
* Advantage on Con saves to maintain concentration on a spell when you take damage.
* Perform somatic components of spells when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
* When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at it, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.
Resiliant
* Add 1 to your Constitution score.
* You gain proficiency in Constitution saving throws.

Magical Items:
Justice Seeker
(Unique/Artifact, Requires Attunement)
+2 Long Sword - Intelligent item with many properties
Gloves of Spell Storing
(Unique/Very Rare, Requires Attunement)
Bastion, +2 Adamantine Breastplate, Command (advantage on 1 Charisma skill check. Refresh after long rest.)
Redoubt, Animated Shield
(Very Rare, Requires Attunement)
QuickStrike, +1 Dagger (Guardian minor property, +2 to Initiative)
Herald, Mace of Disruption
(Rare, Requires Attunement)
Ring of Free Action
Amulet of Health

Spell Casting:
5 Cantrips Known
4/3/3/3/2/1/1/1
Spell DC 18
Spell Attack Modifier +10