Kalib Conversion

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Kalib Conversion

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:Heh, yeah. It also communicates telepathically, casts cure light wounds, locate object and commune (to be used when solving a murder).
I retract my previous statement. Your legendary artifact certainly needs to be attuned. :p
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

One thing dawned on me, you might as well downgrade "quickstrike". If you are two weapon fighting the strike from your off-hand is a bonus action. You only get one bonus action a round, so giving "quickstrike" the speed property is redundant. Maybe you can just give some minor ability that reflects it's background.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ahhh, you are correct. I hadn't realized that attacking with two weapons requires the use of a bonus action, but it does! :) So yeah, Quickstrike wouldn't be able to make an extra attack because that also requires a bonus action.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just make Quickstrike a +2 dagger with the Guardian minor property (+2 to Initiative).

Good catch! The More You Know ......... :P
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:Ahhh, you are correct. I hadn't realized that attacking with two weapons requires the use of a bonus action, but it does! :) So yeah, Quickstrike wouldn't be able to make an extra attack because that also requires a bonus action.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just make Quickstrike a +2 dagger with the Guardian minor property (+2 to Initiative).

Good catch! The More You Know ......... :P
I just looked at all that for upgrading my Tempest. I think the guardian property sounds like a perfect exchange! So that's one less magic item to worry about... ;)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I did some research on armor classes at lunch today and found this article:

https://merricb.com/2014/09/13/armour-c ... ragons-5e/

I really like how he breaks things down on how things are designed in this edition. To sum up he explains that everything is designed to be in an AC range of 10-20. He talks about how the highest AC in the basic edition was 20. I flipped through the monster manual and found as high as 22... some of the ancient dragons. He also talks about how the attunement rule is to keep the power creep 3x had. I think it's worth a read by the whole group as we re-build our characters in 5e.

I also wanted to point out nothing prevents our characters from having all this cool gear they've collected over the years. We just can't use it all at the same time. We need to choose it a bit more wisely based on the upcoming adventure.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So Kalib has at least 5 attunement items and maybe 8, depending on how things translate to 5e. I'll think on how to best coordinate. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm also working on a little different build for Kalib. In the final analysis, paladin levels don't actually gain that much, thematically. I'm essentially investing 4 levels for 2 additional ways to use Kalib's Channel Divinity. So I think I'm probably going to go back to fighter/cleric.

I'm also considering proposing a new domain to reflect all of the development we had done in previous editions with Trithereon. I'm thinking a Vengence domain (or a Freedom domain). But I'll think more about that later. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So let's see about Magical Items.

Here's the list:
Justice Seeker, +2/+3 Bastard Sword (yes)
Gloves of Spell Storing (yes, Ring of Spell Storing does so the Gloves should too)
Bastion, +2 Adamantine Breastplate, Command (advantage on Charisma skill checks?) (maybe?)
Redoubt, +2 Heavy Adamantine Shield, Called, Animated (yes, an animated shield in 5e requires attunement)
QuickStrike, +2 Dagger, Guardian property (no)
Herald, +1 Mace of Disruption (yes)
Ring of Free Action (yes)
Ring of Protection (yes)
Amulet of Health (yes)
Scrolls: 2 6th, 2 5th, 2 4th, 3 3rd
Potions: some

Regarding Attunement, I think I'd go with these 3:
Justice Seeker
Redoubt (shield)
Amulet of Health

Which means I can carry but not necessarily use:
Gloves of Spell Storing
Ring of Free Action
Ring of Protection
Herald, Mace of Disruption

The only real bummer is the Gloves of Spell Storing. I think it's easy enough to rest and re-attune for the Mace of Disruption. The Ring of Free Action is thematically important to Kalib. Maybe the Ring could have the Harmonious minor property? That reduces attunement time to 1 minute. So in a pinch, Kalib could quickly re-attune to the Ring by giving up a different attunement. As long as the Ring is the only Harmonious item, then you can't just switch back and forth at will.

Regarding actual power conversions:
Kalib's armor in 3e was this:
+3 Mithril Breastplate
Heavy Fortification - prevents 100% of critical hits and sneak attack damage.
Command: +4 competence bon to Charisma. Allies gain +2 morale bonus to Will saves if within 30'
Spell Ability: Shield of Faith, CL 12 (+4 Deflect)

So in 5e, I'm thinking this:
+3 Adamantine Half Plate (in 3e 1/2 plate was heavy armor, in 5e its medium so I'd go with that)
Adamantine mimics the Fortification property.
I think I'd just drop the Command ability altogether.
And Shield of Faith isn't super necessary for the armor, so that could go, too.
In exchange, I'd like to make the enchantment bonus +3.

So I'd end up with:
+3 Adamantine 1/2 Plate (Base AC 18, allows up to +2 Dex bonus)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

With this set of magic items, what's his AC?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I haven't put it all into the character builder yet, so lets see.

+3 1/2 plate = 18
+2 shield = 22
+2 Dex = 24
Two Weapon Fighting Style = 25
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I think we need to be careful about how high we go with Armor Classes. AC 25 *really* high; Balors and Pit Fiends only have AC 19. An ancient red dragon is AC 22. Heck, quickly looking through Monster Manual the only monster I found with an AC that high was the Tarrasque.

Hmmm. A 5e grudgematch between Kalib and the Tarrasque would be amusing...

I could see Bastian as a +1 or maybe +2 adamantine breastplate with the "war leader" property (use an action and everyone can hear you clearly up to 300 feet away). Maybe grant it the ability to grant advantage on Charisma-based checks once a day.

Regarding two-weapon fighting, I thought that allowed you to use your ability modifier on your offhand. Does it grant a defense bonus as well at higher levels?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Eyes of Minute seeing give you advantage on investigation without attunement. So how about we give the armor advantage on one charisma based skill?

Shouldn't the shield only be +1?
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:Regarding two-weapon fighting, I thought that allowed you to use your ability modifier on your offhand. Does it grant a defense bonus as well at higher levels?
That's the fighter/Ranger fighting style benefit. The one Bob is referring to is the feat "Dual Wielder" which gives you +1 ac; but not the ability modifier to the offhand.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:I think we need to be careful about how high we go with Armor Classes. AC 25 *really* high; Balors and Pit Fiends only have AC 19. An ancient red dragon is AC 22. Heck, quickly looking through Monster Manual the only monster I found with an AC that high was the Tarrasque.

Hmmm. A 5e grudgematch between Kalib and the Tarrasque would be amusing...

I could see Bastian as a +1 or maybe +2 adamantine breastplate with the "war leader" property (use an action and everyone can hear you clearly up to 300 feet away). Maybe grant it the ability to grant advantage on Charisma-based checks once a day.

Regarding two-weapon fighting, I thought that allowed you to use your ability modifier on your offhand. Does it grant a defense bonus as well at higher levels?
I'm ok with reducing pluses to bring down my overall ac.

The Two Weap fighting style allows you to add ability mod for offhand. The Dual Weilding Feat provides a few abilities, including +1 to ac while weilding 2 weaps.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Monster AC's are generally from natural armor alone, and their lacking high AC's is made up for in that they have considerably higher hit points compared to PC's:

Tarrasque: AC 25, HP 676 (33d20 + 330)
Ancient Red Dragon: AC 22, HP 546 (28d20 + 252)
Pit Fiend: AC 19, 300 (24d10 + 168)
Balor: AC 19, HP 262 (21d12 + 126)
Iron Golem: AC 20, HP 210 (20d10 + 100)