[5e conversions] Attribute Builds

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
NukeHavoc

[5e conversions] Attribute Builds

Post by NukeHavoc »

In the Kalib build discussion (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5038&start=15), there is a conversation about what sort of build we can use. I'll admit; I'm fuzzy on what we mean by "82 point build" from 2nd edition. Was that the total of all the stats?

My inclination is to use either a "heroic" array or a higher point build for 5e characters (maybe 30 points?) ... but not to do a straight-up attribute conversion because the math assumptions for 5e are very different from 3e.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Re: [5e conversions] Attribute Builds

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, in 2E we used 82 points for total stats, buying them 1 for 1. 19 points in strength gave you the exceptional strength roll (for warrior sub-classes, anyway), and 20 points got you automatic 18/00.

For 5E, besides rolling randomly, the standard is either the fixed arrays (LAME!) or a 27 point buy with progressive costs, max 15 before race adjustment. This tool allows quick online calculation: http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot. ... lator.html
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Since you guys have been playing with this ... how does 82 points compare to the standard 27 point build?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Not sure about the 2e to 5e...

BUT I've done two characters from 3.5 to 5e. I built them both from the ground up using a 27 point buy. Rex at level 15 has stats equal to his 3.5 version, and I only dumped one ability score improvement into stats. The rest were spent on feats (some of which also gave some stat bumps).

Tarien at level 12 ended up with a 16 dex instead of the 17 he had in 3.5. All other stats are the same. However, I put one stat bump into a feat instead of stats. At the next bump at level 16 I would put the bump into Dex, raising him to a 18 which he would have gotten in 3.5 as well.

So, I think they match up quite nicely from 3.5 to 5e. Considering the ability score cap of 20, thats pretty damn shiny.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:So, I think they match up quite nicely from 3.5 to 5e. Considering the ability score cap of 20, thats pretty damn shiny.
I think that our conversion mileage is going to vary considerably given how much variation we've had in character creation over the years, especially 2e characters with lucky attribute roles vs. 82 point builds vs. 3e point builds.

For example, IIRC I rolled up D'Klar old school but stat-wise and his stats were no where near as good as Kalib's. Looking at his last 3e character sheet, he had these attribute scores:

Str 17
Dex 10
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 20
Chr 10

That's 85 points worth of attributes at 15th level. Based on the Kalib build thread, Kalib had 103 points worth of attributes at 19th level. Granted, Bob's initial numbers included some stat-bumping magic items but still, that's a difference of 18 points.

Using the 27 point build from 5e (with mountain dwarf stat bumps included), D'klar comes in at 76 points ... and that's without having leveled up. After leveling up, he ends up at 82 points.

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 20
Chr 10

That's pretty close to his original stats, though he takes a small hit on Con.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I agree on the mileage may vary statement. I think for some of the older characters we may need to adjust. For 3.5 point built characters it seems like a pretty easy re-build... until magic items ;)