5e Earth Domain

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
EvilGenius

Re: 5e Earth Domain

Post by EvilGenius »

I went back to Ulaa to see if I could get any further ideas for a Channel Divinity effect. The general D&D Wiki wasn't much help; Ulaa's entry is very short. But I did find this: https://post-greyhawk-wars-585-cy.obsid ... wikis/ulaa

In this link they talk about Ulaa's philosophy and several times they talk about the need to take decisive action (the mountain does not yield its treasures to dreamers). So how about use a Channel Divinity to either a) gain advantage on an initiative check, or b) gain an action surge, as per the fighter ability?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

A is the same as the barbarian ability gained at 7th level as a berserker.

B is what fighters get at 2nd level, so it probably more appropriate if this is the way you want to go.
EvilGenius wrote:I went back to Ulaa to see if I could get any further ideas for a Channel Divinity effect. The general D&D Wiki wasn't much help; Ulaa's entry is very short. But I did find this: https://post-greyhawk-wars-585-cy.obsid ... wikis/ulaa

In this link they talk about Ulaa's philosophy and several times they talk about the need to take decisive action (the mountain does not yield its treasures to dreamers). So how about use a Channel Divinity to either a) gain advantage on an initiative check, or b) gain an action surge, as per the fighter ability?
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Also, were specialty priests of Ulaa ever described in 2E? Maybe there's some ideas from that if so.

The Greyhawk gods seem harder to define under 5E domains. Perhaps calling this the Ulaa Domain would be better, as a different deity with concern for Earth (like Beltar) may have differing powers based on philosophy. Since clerics only get one domain now, customizing them for the specific Greyhawk god to bring back the flavor of specialty priests of yore seems cool.

Besides, what is Wee Jas without a Law or Magic domain?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

In 2e, specialty priests of Ulaa had a special 6th level spell, Command Earth, which prevented Earth Elementals from coming within 5' of them, or the priest could forgo the protection to try and charm the elemental.
Priests of Ulaa also got to choose a favored enemy, similar to rangers. The priests gained a +1 damage against their enemy every 4 levels (max +4 damage).

I'm not sure either would be a great thing to translate to a use of channel divinity, though.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

setanta14 wrote:Besides, what is Wee Jas without a Law or Magic domain?

HAWT!! :P
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:In 2e, specialty priests of Ulaa had a special 6th level spell, Command Earth, which prevented Earth Elementals from coming within 5' of them, or the priest could forgo the protection to try and charm the elemental.
Priests of Ulaa also got to choose a favored enemy, similar to rangers. The priests gained a +1 damage against their enemy every 4 levels (max +4 damage). I'm not sure either would be a great thing to translate to a use of channel divinity, though.
Perhaps allow them to turn earth elementals as per the turn undead ability? I'll need to look at the specifics; I don't recall what, if anything, 5e did with rebuking undead.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange