[5e conversions] Justiceseeker

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
NukeHavoc

[5e conversions] Justiceseeker

Post by NukeHavoc »

Justiceseeker
Weapon (bastard sword), artifact (requires attunement)

Justiceseeker is a steel bastard sword possessed by the soul of a fallen cleric of Trithereon. Murdered by a foul servant of the Dark Circle, Justiceseeker was granted this new form by his god so that he might forever mete out vengeance on murderers.

The sword has a simple, straightforward design, in keeping with its namesake’s razor-sharp focus on justice. The word “Justiceseeker” engraved in Common script on either side of the blade, and its hilt is simple and unadorned.

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made by this magical weapon. It has the following additional properties:

Righteous Vengeance: Murder is the denial of freedom through the taking of life. The holy wrath of Trithereon fills Justiceseeker with power when confronting murders, granting advantage on all attack roles against such foes.

Divine Insight: Trithereon refuses to let the guilty go unpunished. Once per month, the wielder may cast the commune spell and seek the counsel of Trithereon or his host in solving a murder.

Guide the Hunt: While you are holding the weapon, you may use an action to cast detect evil and good or locate object from the weapon. Once you cast either spell, you can’t cast it from the weapon again until the next dawn.

Compel the Guilty: Anyone of evil alignment touching the blade must automatically make an ego check against the sword -- those failing are instantly taken over by Justiceseeker. He then compels the individual to seek out a priest of Trithereon so that justice might be served. Individuals compelled in such a way are not considered attuned to the weapon. Those who resist the sword’s ego are still subject to its wrath: the would-be wielder must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take 6d6 points of radiant damage (save for half)

Sentience: Justiceseeker is a sentient chaotic good weapon with an Intelligence of 17, Wisdom of 18, and Charisma of 15. It has hearing and vision out to 60 feet. The item can speak, read, and understand Common and Elven. It may communicate with its wielder telepathically.

Personality: Although his god Trithereon advocates free will, Justiceseeker is not above nagging or harassing his wielder into doing what he wants -- which is always to track down murderers. In extreme cases, he will even take temporary control of his wielder to further his own goals.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: [5e conversions] Justiceseeker

Post by NukeHavoc »

I used Whelm to inform Justiceseeker's design. I gave the sword advantage vs. murders instead of a +5 bonus because that seemed like the 5e thing to do. :)

In this build, Justiceseeker loses the ability to cast cure light wounds and clairvoyance but I think adding in those abilities would move the sword into artifact territory.

What do you think?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Re: [5e conversions] Justiceseeker

Post by EvilGenius »

I like it! Honestly, I'm not sure I ever used the Clairvoyance ability, and losing Cure Wounds isn't that big a deal. I do like advantage rather than +3.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!