OB Medals

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
EvilGenius

OB Medals

Post by EvilGenius »

I can't remember the specifics of the Obsidian Bay medals, specifically what they were awarded for.

Kalib, Luc and Sven all have the Tear of Krovis (+1 to 1 save/day)
Kalib has a Golden Griffon Medallion (?)
Luc has a Silver Griffon Medallion (Cure Light Wds 1/day)

Does anyone know what they were awarded for, specifically? And what the Golden Griffon Medallion does?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: OB Medals

Post by EvilGenius »

Bump

No one remembers anything about the Obsidian Bay medals? Ken? Nate?
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I don't recall their powers... they were awarded for the Liberation of OB (with Krovis), and perhaps for defeating Turrosh Mak?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I tried looking up the medal info on the yahoo groups griffcrier, but the earliest messages were from the Giants campaign which was after the Liberation. :/

However, I scrolled through the list for a bit and was reminded of a lot of good memories, gaming and otherwise. Lance joined the group in June of 2000. The disastrous adventure I ran where Malphas and Tanaevir killed the guy everyone was supposed to save (the Skeletal Warrior one-shot adventure). Bill and John Haggerty as active members. Charactes I had forgotten about (Haggerty's lunch' Trey, Lance's gnome Coccyx). Raids on the Knights of the Iron Nation. Blackrazors causing inadvertent destruction in Obsidian Bay by using a bag of beans to summon a hurtling meteor of fire that destroyed an Inn. Because they thought Alex Swiftblade was staying there. Then Lance's gnome, Coccyx, confessing to Calvin. Debating shares of Blackrazor Guild stocks. Plans for GenCon 2000. Plans for converting from 2e to 3e. Scheduling around vacations to the shore, plans to go to the PA Ren Faire, arranging to play at Lance's house, discussion of board games.

Good times. And I didn't even get far enough to see the posts when Jon joined!! :P
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Overview

Obsidian Bay awards medals to its most heroic and deserving citizens. Some of these medals have magical abilities and all garner the respect of the city's citizenry.

The medals

The Tear of Krovis
This award is a platinum tear that hangs on a platinum chain. It is awarded to the most exceptional heroes in the city. It bestows a +1 to one saving throw per day. The wearer must declare he or she is using the modifier before making the save. It is one of the highest honors that can be bestowed by the city, and is only given to those who complete the most dangerous, heroic quests on its behalf. Some of the Blackrazors were awarded this medal for awakening the sleeping hero-god Krovis.

The Scepter of Excellence
This award is given to the adventuring guild which has accomplished the most -- both for themselves and for the city -- in a given year. It made from solid silver with a perfect obsidian gem at its top and has no magical abilities, but the guild that controls it gains considerable respect in the Obsidian community. There is only one scepter, and it is passed from guild to guild as it is awarded anew each year. The scepter is presented during a simple ceremony during the Festival of Liberation.

The present holders of the scepter is the Blackrazor Guild, which received it in CY 588 for awakening the sleeping hero god Krovis and banishing the fiends from Obsidian Bay.

The Platinum Griffin
The Platinum Griffin is the city’s highest honor, and it is only given to those who have died saving it in some truly spectacular way. Killian “The Red” O’Brian was awarded this medal after he died slaying the pyromancer Weri in the Battle of Blue.

The Golden Griffin
The Golden Griffin is one of the city’s highest awards, and has given to those who perform some great feat in the name all that is good and just. It is comprised of a small gold griffin suspended from a reinforced gold chain. Enchanted by clerics of Heironeous, medal allows the recipient to cast cure light wounds on him or her self once per day. Some of the Blackrazors were awarded this medal for banishing the fiends from Obsidian Bay in CY 588.

The Silver Griffin
Another of the city’s awards, this one is slightly more common, and is awarded for exceptional bravery. It has no special abilities. The Blackrazors were awarded the Silver Griffin for their part in the Battle of Blue.

The Bronze Griffin
The most common of the city’s awards, the Bronze Griffin is often awarded for exceptional service or for acts of bravery in the field -- things like 20 years of service to the City Guard, or an excellent maneuver while out on patrol. Although relatively common in terms of the city’s medals, they are still very rare -- only a handful are given out each year. These medals have no special properties.

Misc medals

The Order of the Razor: Awarded by the Blackrazor Guild's guildmaster to guild members for "acts typifying gallantry and intrepidity, at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in the service of the Guild.
Attachments
order_of_the_razor.jpg
order_of_the_razor.jpg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange