Combat Test, Round 2: Results

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
NukeHavoc

Combat Test, Round 2: Results

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jon, Lance, Zack and I spent Sunday afternoon puzzling through Mutants & Masterminds, and hopefully clarifying things a bit for the new players.

We had a Paragon and Speedster pitted against a Battlesuit and Plasma Energy Controller. By the end of the day, Plasma Boy (Zack's character) had been taken down once because he forgot to raise his defensive energy shield and once because the Speedster phased through said shield and incapacitated him.

The Energy Controller retaliated by disintegrating the Speedster twice (the second time after the Battlesuit crit-charged the Speedster from 10,000 ft. The Paragon got off a few good hits, but didn't do anything terribly impressive.

Lessons learned:

1) As before, Protection (Invincibility) proved to be a tough nut to track, forcing players to fall back on extra effort and hero points to pull of the power stunts needed to neutralize or bypass it.

2) Disintegration is *nasty* -- fail enough rolls and your character becomes a pile of dusty. Since I assume we're going for a brighter, more heroic campaign, I don't think heroes should have this power (or if they have it, rarely use it against living targets). Villains, who'd rather laugh over your unconscious body than scoop up the ashes, should be similarly restrained (though perhaps they'd use it once or twice just to inspire the proper amount of respect for villainy).

3) Gadgets and Mind Control: I think we need to try out a character or three who rely on devices and/or equipment for the majority of their abilities. I also think we need to experiment with mental powers -- we haven't had to make a Will save yet.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Oh, my intended character will get us *plenty* of practice on will saves...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Does anyone feel like they need another Mutants & Masterminds playtest before we start up the campaign?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I wouldn't mind. I would also like to get some help with character creation as well...

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

ok, how about we do a combat test/character creation session next Tuesday night 5/8
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Wed May 02, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

What time? Is that supposed to notate 5pm? If so then no. But maybe a little later...

Damon.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'd be up for another playtest.

I think he meant to type 5/8, next Tues evening. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I'd be up for another playtest.

I think he meant to type 5/8, next Tues evening. :)
Yes, I fixed that. The stupid smiley face generator kicked in.