Avengers Assemble! (or Character Roll Call)

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
NukeHavoc

Avengers Assemble! (or Character Roll Call)

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'd like to start the "pre-gaming" Freedom City campaign sometime in later April or May, and it would help to know what everyone's playing. I'd appreciate it if you could start posting characters to this thread or (if there are secrets) e-mailing them to me at my gmail account.

I'd like to know:

* Code name: Your superhero name.
* Powers overview: A brief rundown of your super powers, feats and anything else that makes him/her a hero.
* Character overview: A quick overview of what the character's about -- outlook, motives, etc.
* History overview: The origin story -- how the character got his/her powers, a notable event or three from their past, etc.

We will be using the Freedom City campaign setting for this game, so your characters can either be natives or new arrivals. If the former, let me know what sort of organizations/heroes/people your character would know having grown up there. The easiest thing to do would be to tell me this in terms of the DC or Marvel universe, and then I can tell you how that matches up with the Freedom City one.

For example, if your character would have graduated from the Xavier Institute in the Marvel Universe, then they'd be a graduate of the Claremount Academy in Freedom City. There are FF correlations for almost everything, and we can create what doesn't exist.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

My character's background is secret/mysterious, so I'll be sending much of it to you directly. It may even help you with some plot ideas. The public stuff I'll post here.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I would like help sometime to develop a character. Reading the PDF isn't such a hot option, and I have other books in the queue to be printed out at Staples (I'm definitely finding the PDA download to be FAR from ideal, much more so that I had initially thought).

Also, is Jon making a speedster character? That was my concept, but if he has already tagged that, I'll go to something else... (but what I don't know...)

Damon.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Also, is Jon making a speedster character? That was my concept, but if he has already tagged that, I'll go to something else... (but what I don't know...) Damon.

Actually, you both independantly mentioned the concept to me on almost the same day.

So I suggest a steel cage match to the death to see who gets to play the speedster! :o
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Also, is Jon making a speedster character? That was my concept, but if he has already tagged that, I'll go to something else... (but what I don't know...)

Damon.
Yes, Damon, I'm making a speedster. But, as both the DC and Marvel universes have shown us, there's always room for more fast guys. So, make a speedster if you want as well. More the merrier, I say. After all, it'd then be a sure bet Ken would definitely have villains ready to challenge our speed powers. ;)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I've got all kinds of ideas floating around my head for a character. So far its:

1) A guy in some kind of battlesuit (not like ironman, more like a small mech)
2) A captian America type
3) A teleporter with combat skills
4) Or I could play my guy from college. (A retired military, reluctant to use his powers, hero with energy blasts and a rock form)
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'll give some basics for my character, and give Ken the hidden stuff later.

She's a late-teenage girl, with a strong moody, dark/Goth streak. She's a very strong telepath, with skill ranging from telekinesis and flight to very powerful mind control. Dresses like a cross between Trinity from the Matrix and Death from the Gaiman Sandman comics. Maybe think a Goth version of Jean Grey right at the point where she becomes Phoenix.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

My character is using the BattleSuit Archtype. He's an Ironman kind of guy. Brilliant inventor, built his own suit but doesn't want to hand it over to the military for fear of what they would do with it.

He's not a super-wealthy public figure though. So he has to occasionally scrounge for parts and he's got a knack for improvising the parts he needs for whatever he's making.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

As far as speedsters go, having two isn't necessarily bad, but I'd rather they be two different character concepts. So perhaps one is a typical Quicksilver/Flash style speedster, but maybe the other uses Time Control, which gives you the effects of super speed, but has a different source power and (most likely) origin story.

Damon -- what kind of help do you need with your character? Perhaps we could have a "hero creation night" one day this month (and those who already have their characters can either help, or play Clix).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's what we have so far, character-wise:

* Jon: Speedster
* Damon: Speedster
* Lance: mind-controlling/TKing goth teen
* Bob: Battle Suited Inventor
* Cory: Battlesuit or Captain America or Teleporter with Combat Skills or Retired Soldier with Rock Form and Energy Blasts

I think Nate might have mentioned playing a Dr. Strange type character; I don't remember.

Cory, as far as your character goes, I think that's partly a function of what happens with the speedsters, and how they model their powers. Right now we've probably got two close melee characters (the speedsters) capable of moving quite quickly. The Battlesuit will give the party some flight, melee and range combat capabilities while the Telepathic Goth can deal with mental powers and do some TK damage.

A good all-around combat character like Caps could be useful to the party, as could someone with an alternate form and energy blasts.

The party doesn't have a mystical-type character (and those, doesn't have access to arcane constructs) but Bob's inventor provides the ability to create those ad-hoc solutions to villain problems.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

If Jon is doing the Speedster, I could do the combat warrior type (but what type of "schtick" should he have? Any suggestions that do not involve Wolvie...? Or a Viking God?)...

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:If Jon is doing the Speedster, I could do the combat warrior type (but what type of "schtick" should he have? Any suggestions that do not involve Wolvie...? Or a Viking God?)...
It depends on what sort of combat warrior you'd want -- namely melee, ranged or generalist?

Given the four-color nature of the campaign, I don't think a character like Punisher, or the more bloody interpretations of Wolverine/Sabertooth, would be appropriate.

Looking at the M&M archetypes, you've got:

* Costumed Adventurer (aka Nightwing, Robin)
* Martial Artist (Bruce Lee)
* Weapon Master (Green Arrow, Hawkeye)
* Paragon (Low-powered superman)

Or you could mix and max, creating a character like Cable (limited TK, telepathy, mercenary skills), Banshee (agent of Interpol, sonic attack and flight) or a straightforward brawler like Juggernaut or one of the more intelligent interpretations of the Hulk.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:My character is using the BattleSuit Archtype. He's an Ironman kind of guy. Brilliant inventor, built his own suit but doesn't want to hand it over to the military for fear of what they would do with it. He's not a super-wealthy public figure though. So he has to occasionally scrounge for parts and he's got a knack for improvising the parts he needs for whatever he's making.
Looking at the Freedom City source book, I can see two potential base of operations for this character (will his name still be Paladin?)

1. The North End
The North end lies north of Liberty Park and the monorail line, centered on the campus of Freedom City University and focused on high-tech companies like ASTRO Labs. Small businesses catering to students and people in the tech industry are found throughout the area, including computer stores, clothing shops, small cafes and coffeehouses.
This is an upscale region, and if nothing else your character would likely work here even if he couldn't afford to live here.

2. Greenback
Greenbank, in between the West and and the South River, was best known as a railroad stop where goods moved in and out of the Freedom City area by train. It is filled with warehouses, rail yards, and shipping companies, where a lot of West Enders used to work.

These days, Greenbank is a fairly depressed area. Freedom City doesn't see as much rail traffic as it used to, and many of the old warehouses are closed down. The recent extension of a maglev track for a new high-speed bullet train into the city has improved conditions in Greenbank and created new jobs. Still, the area is a haven for criminals and organized crime and the city government hopes new prosperity will help clean it up.

Greenbank is centered on the old Lincoln Rail Yards, where trains move in and out of the city. It's occasionally used for smuggling and clandestine meetings so the police (and heroes like Foreshadow) keep a watchful eye on it.
This strikes me as being a great home for Paladin -- he could rent himself a warehouse/loft fairly easily, and there should be plenty of scrap lying around. And there would be plenty of criminals to try out his power armor on. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Yes, Damon, I'm making a speedster. But, as both the DC and Marvel universes have shown us, there's always room for more fast guys. So, make a speedster if you want as well. More the merrier, I say. After all, it'd then be a sure bet Ken would definitely have villains ready to challenge our speed powers. ;)
Any more thoughts on your speedster character, regarding power origins, backgrounds, etc.?
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Not sure how it would work out but i'm thinking of going with a green lantern/ Nova/ booster gold type character. He would be an alien that was part of some group that is now left with Earth as his home. I'll need some more work, but it would give us a ranged flier.