Infinity Storm: The Campaign Blog

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm experimenting with a new Infinity Storm blog to learn how to template WordPress blogs. What do you think of this first draft at the header for the blog?

http://www.griffcrier.com/downloads/Inf ... orm-v3.jpg
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Background image is kinda grainy, but otherwise very cool. (Not being picky - you asked for critique.) I'm guessing it's a scan of a physical printed book? Maybe there's a digital version of the same image available on their website?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Yeah, very cool!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Background image is kinda grainy, but otherwise very cool. (Not being picky - you asked for critique.) I'm guessing it's a scan of a physical printed book? Maybe there's a digital version of the same image available on their website?
heh. actually, I photoshopped it to look like that. I was going for something similar to what they did with the ninth wonders site:

http://www.9thwonders.com

and evoke that late-80s style of comic paper. Check out V for Vendetta or Watchmen and you'll see what I mean.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Here's a revised version:

http://www.griffcrier.com/downloads/Inf ... orm-v4.jpg

Better header image, and now a footer image.

I'm not sure about the middle of the page; I want something simple that I can easily format with XHTML and CSS (via WordPress), but it seems a bit plain.
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: heh. actually, I photoshopped it to look like that. (snip)
and evoke that late-80s style of comic paper.
I suspected as much - it was just a little too grainy IMO.

Maybe a more comic-evocative sans-serif font in the middle (main text) section?

Also, totally stick the Nuketown logo in the Atomic Age tombstone at the top left!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I like it! But I totally agree with Lance; stick the Nuketown logo in the corner instead of the DC bullet or the Marvel logo!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I've created an HTML version of my new Infinity Storm blog design. I'll be using this to create the new Wordpress theme (which involves chopping the HTML up into tiny bits, and sticking them into a host of different template files).

http://www.griffcrier.com/downloads/infinitystorm/

It's essentially the same as the earlier version, though I've added the Nuketown logo. :) I still need to do some tests in Internet Explorer to see if things blow up, but once those are done I'll start messing with creating a template (which will be a first for me).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hmmm. Doesn't quite work in IE. Clearly some tinkering is needed...

Anyway, if you want to see it like it's SUPPOSED to be, use Firefox.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:Anyway, if you want to see it like it's SUPPOSED to be, use Firefox.
And if your not using it why? It is infinitely better than IE.