Rules Adjustments for next time ...

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
EvilGenius

Rules Adjustments for next time ...

Post by EvilGenius »

I was reading over the rules again briefly this weekend and there was one thing that we (I) were doing incorrectly Friday night.

We were using Hero Points after a roll slightly incorrectly. What we were doing was using it to simulate the Ultimate Effort feat (fortune feat) and applying the result of "20" to the die roll.

What we SHOULD have been doing is a simple re-roll, keep the best result.

You can use a hero point to simulate most feats, but not the feats that are classified as 'Fortune Feats', which include: Beginner's Luck (5 temp skill points in a skill), Inspire (like bardsong), Leadership (remove adverse conditions from allies), Luck (additional hero points), Sieze Initiative (go first) and Ultimate Effort (take 20).

Also, if you have those feats, say Ultimate Effort, like Flynn, you have to spend the hero point to "take 20" BEFORE you roll, not after. If you spend the hero point after, you're just buying a simple re-roll.

So, just little tweaks, nothing earth shattering. :)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I had noticed the same thing last night...it seemed to me like I had wasted a feat, but didn't say anything as I didn't know the rules as well...

One other suggestion too: with the combats last night, one thing that could have been done differently would be to run the simultaneous combats concurrently, as if it was one battle. Thus everyone rolls initiative, and go in turn, despite actually having separate combats...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Lars Porsenna wrote:One other suggestion too: with the combats last night, one thing that could have been done differently would be to run the simultaneous combats concurrently, as if it was one battle. Thus everyone rolls initiative, and go in turn, despite actually having separate combats...
I had the same thought during combat. But I think doing "round table" combat worked well because it allowed ken to move on to Grey when I started looking up a rule. Perhaps thats something that could be done in later games when we all know the rules better. But I imagine more often than not we'll all be fighting together in future games.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I had the same thought during combat. But I think doing "round table" combat worked well because it allowed ken to move on to Grey when I started looking up a rule. Perhaps thats something that could be done in later games when we all know the rules better. But I imagine more often than not we'll all be fighting together in future games.
I suspect that will be the case. Some of the stuff I have planned will cause the heroes to come together to battle a single foe (or group of foes) but more often then not I think we'll have this sort of one-off combats/challenges for different heroes as folks go on patrol, get into boxing matches, etc.

I really liked Gray's boxing match on Friday; I want to keep those up and create a few specialized melee opponents for him to fight. I think it's a cool sub-story, and I think it makes for a good lead-in to our sessions since most of the time we'll need a combat reminder. :)

Maybe next time one of you guys could play his opponent (thus getting more people involved, and helping with the whole combat learning-curve).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange