Question

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
T1Mirage

Question

Post by T1Mirage »

For my 'Green Arrow' character, would it be possible to have the 'grappling arrow' and shoot an unstable wall to pull it down on a bad guy? I think I recall Bats doing something similar.

Note doesn't have to be a wall but an item that could be hit and pulled back?

What about a trip with the grappling line?

Are these special moves or what?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

You could do all of those things.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I think you can absolutely do this, George.

There are two sections of the rules that suggest this (but don't explicitly state it).

First, Grappling on pg 156-157. Grapple check is an opposed check, figured as Attack Bonus +Str Modifier + Super-Strength Modifier + Size Modifier (very similar to D&D).

If you succeed in grappling, you can attempt a throw. This is a move action as part of the grapple. Throwing works like this: you can throw your heavy load 5 feet. For every 5 points of Str over that required to pick up the object (as a heavy load), you throw it 1 step farther (5', 10', 25', 50', 125, 250').

So I would say, make the grapple check, have the DM roll for the inanimate object. If your Strength is high enough to "throw" the wall/object 5 feet, collapse it on your opponent.

So if you have a Str of 16, your heavy load is 230 lb. If the object/wall is 230 or less, you can yank it onto your opponent if he/she/it is within 5' of the wall. You can yank the same object/wall that weighs 115lbs onto your opponent within 10' of the wall.

If that's not dynamic enough, since you're not actually "throwing" the object, maybe you could use the Max Load (460 lbs for a 16 Str) or the Push/Drag figure (1150 lbs for a 16 Str).

The other section that may speak to this is the Damaging Objects section, pg 166-167.

Objects have an inherent Toughness Score. If you do Lethal Damage that exceeds their Toughness save, the object becomes progressively more damaged. If you do enough damage to destroy the object, I don't see why you couldn't pull it onto someone.