Dead Red: Undead in Mutants & Masterminds

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
NukeHavoc

Dead Red: Undead in Mutants & Masterminds

Post by NukeHavoc »

I've been playing around with making some supervillains in M&M, and one thing I've been struggling with is how to handle the undead. There are no templates in M&M, and no guidelines on how to create undead without them. So instead I've been looking at the examples of Vampire Master, Zombies and Skeletons.

The trend seems to be to treat them somewhat like constructs, giving them Con 0, and then weakness/immunities appropriate to their type.

The particular villain I'm looking to create is Dead Red, a former Soviet special ops solider who took a super serum that remade him ... and killed him. I'm thinking of something like a cross between the clockwork Nazi in Hellboy and Omega Red from the X-Men, though in this case his powers are more enhanced strength, reflexes and immunities to pain and mind effecting powers. Pure, capitalist-destroying logic fueled by decades worth of cold fury. :)

The undead part reflects his status as a corpse reanimated by science. It's a fun character concept, but I'm just sort of winging it when building the character.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Soviet collapse my butt - keep your eye on them dirty Sovs, I say.

Wolverines!!!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Well, Ken, I can't really comment intelligently, as I haven't read the M&M book at all yet, but if comics are the inspiration, most of the undead you see in Marvel, DC, and their ilk come from magical means, not usually scientific means. Science can occasionally bring people back to life, but animate dead is usually saved for the powerful magicians, both good and evil. So, maybe check the magic rules of M&M for some comment on undeath? Just a thought...