Ravenloft: A Return the Basics?

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Per the 1e PHB, Bards had to start off as Fighters, achieve between 5th to 9th level, then dual-class as a Thief. Again, once he reaches 5th to 9th level, he can take up Druidic studies, but otherwise he becomes eligible to be a bard.

Thus, to get that 1e feel, my character would have to be a Ftr2/Rg2/Bd2. Although that might be fun to try out a triple-classed character, that may be a bit much...

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Per the 1e PHB, Bards had to start off as Fighters, achieve between 5th to 9th level, then dual-class as a Thief. Again, once he reaches 5th to 9th level, he can take up Druidic studies, but otherwise he becomes eligible to be a bard.
For some reason, I thought there was an arcane class in there, but it's been year's since I touched a 1st edition book. Such a character would be amusing, but probably not all to effective.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I'll have to double check, but I don't recall seeing an arcane spellcaster in there...

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:I'll have to double check, but I don't recall seeing an arcane spellcaster in there...
Oh don't worry about it -- not that important. Just play a normal bard. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

I agree with Ken. I you single-class the bard, it should still give you the same jack-of-all feel that the original multi-class approach would, but you'll be powerful enough to thrive in the adventure.

I was only trying to keep the classes "simple". If we were to pursue Ken's idea, a wizard-paladin might not evoke what he was suggesting, but single-classing will. :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, there's getting a 1e feel, and then there's playing an effective character. 1e is good for nostalga and all, but I'll take a competent 3x character ANY day.

We can still work on evoking a 1e "adventure", ie, wonder, innovation, discovery, and all the while have competent characters.

So don't play a triple class character, Damon.
Lars Porsenna wrote:Thus, to get that 1e feel, my character would have to be a Ftr2/Rg2/Bd2. Although that might be fun to try out a triple-classed character, that may be a bit much...Damon.