Last but not least

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
Hardcorhobbs

Last but not least

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So I've been thinking of playing a Monk for this. It's a good all around character that can fill in holes as needed. I'll be able to help Ken out with the sneaky stuff, stand with the fighters, or sit back and use some ranged combat. Combat wise I'm thinking of specializing in disarming. I'll be able to cause some provoking, or perhaps just make an enemy fumble some time as he reaches for a new weapon.

Background wise I was thinking of a monk who saw a lot of combat in the Greyhawk wars, perhaps even a survivor of a beseged temple/monistary/church ect. He would have been wandering looking for work when he ran into your guys.

What do you think? Suggestions?
erilar

Post by erilar »

This char sounds fine for the campaign. No suggestions for you though, not familiar with the monk class at all.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So here's what I got so far. Need to look at magic items yet.

: Male Human Mnk6; CR 6;
Medium Humanoid (Human);
HD 6d8+6; hp 39;
Init +6; Spd 50 ft/x4;
AC 16 (+2 dex, +4 misc), touch 16, flat-footed 14;
Base Atk/Grapple +4/+6;
SA&SQ Armor Restriction, AC Bonus(Ex), Flurry of Blows(Ex), Evasion(Ex), Fast Movement(Ex), Still Mind(Ex), Ki Strike(Su), Slow Fall(Ex), Purity of Body(Ex);
AL LG; SV Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +8;
Str 14(+2), Dex 14(+2), Con 12(+1), Int 12(+1), Wis 16(+3), Cha 10(+0);
Feats: Blind-Fight, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Good monk, Corey!

My only suggestion is that you take stat bump magical items focusing on Dex, Con and/or Wisdom, and if you can swing it, some magical deflection bonus items to boost your AC.

As I found out with two separate Monks, they tend to be a bit fragile. So boosting AC and Hitpoints is really necessary if you're not going to play them as a rogue-substitute.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm figuring on gloves of dex, periat of wisdom, and some bracers of armor. Follow that up with a magic light xbow, a magic sai (for disarming), and a silver kami.

After that I'll see what monies I have left. I'd like to pick up a circlet of blasting or some such thing that gives me a completely different skill. I'll do this at lunch today.

One thing that just occured to me is: Does a sai do me any good? With disarm you get a -4 for using a light weapon, but a +4 for the sai. Is there a negitive for being unarmed? Being a monk I don't provoke unarmed or for the disarm with the improvement. So maybe i'll take a weapon other than a sai. Suggestions?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'm figuring on gloves of dex, periat of wisdom, and some bracers of armor. Follow that up with a magic light xbow, a magic sai (for disarming), and a silver kami.

After that I'll see what monies I have left. I'd like to pick up a circlet of blasting or some such thing that gives me a completely different skill. I'll do this at lunch today.
Heh. that's a big list. Gloves of Dex +2 is 4000gp, Periapt of Wisdom +2 is another 4000gp. Bracers of Armor +2 is another 4000gp. That takes you to 12k, out of 13k starting.

A minor Circlet of Blasting is like, 6480gp. a +1 weapon is 2000gp + cost of masterwork weapon. At 6th level, starting equipment is a little more scarce than at 12th lvl. ;)

Hardcorhobbs wrote:One thing that just occured to me is: Does a sai do me any good? With disarm you get a -4 for using a light weapon, but a +4 for the sai. Is there a negitive for being unarmed? Being a monk I don't provoke unarmed or for the disarm with the improvement. So maybe i'll take a weapon other than a sai. Suggestions?
Not sure about the disarming stuff approach. We don't do that much. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Dang, yeah I getting too used to high level guys. Ok lets try this:

Gloves of Dex +2 4000
Bracers of armor +1 1000
Ring of Prot +1 2000
light xbow +1 2335
Bag of tricks - grey (for something different) 900

2 masterwork weapons (maybe silver or some such) say 1000

Puts me at about 11235 so i have room for some potions and such. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Bag of tricks - grey (for something different) 900
A constant supply of animals to sacrifice to our new Dark Gods ... excellent!
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange