Session 1 XP

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
erilar

Session 1 XP

Post by erilar »

Encounter #
E1 (zombies, carcass eaters, & deathlock): 600xp ea
E2 (zombies, varguilles, & dire maggots): 600 xp ea
E3 (zombies & entomber): 750xp ea (plus 857xp to Ashlyn)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Cool, thanks Lance!

So minimum 6th level is 16k, minimum 7th is 22k. If we were starting at middle of 6th, that's 19k.

19k+1950 = 20950xp total. only 1050 to go to 7th level! :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm not sure if we were supposed to start at the middle of 6th. I'll give you guys the skinny and we can all weigh in:

The adventure was supposedly written for 4 chars of 6th level. So, I think I'd tend to stay start at the beginning of 6th level to help the encounters not get too easy.

That said, I think Session 1 showed that the encounters weren't necessarily easy. I'm wondering if four 6th level chars wouldn't have gotten shredded.

Anyway - I think my vote is still for beginning of 6th. Thoughts?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm OK with starting at the beginning of 6th for xp purposes, but I'm playing a fighter.

Remember, part of the start mid-level is so that new characters have xp to be able to craft scrolls, etc. that they would have made prior to entering play.

Perhaps if we retconned it to be, start at beginning of 6th for xp, but during creating you could have used 1/2 of 6th level worth of xp for crafting purposes?

Just a thought...
erilar

Post by erilar »

Aah - never thought about crafting stuff. If that's the typical practice, I guess I understand that.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sorry, Lance. I was just going with BR standard practice. If you think we should start at beginning of 6th, that's perfectly acceptable. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Definitely no problem with that - I was just trying to make the XP work with our larger party, but I totally forgot about magic item creation. I'd also forgot about our "half-way-through" practice, so had 0 into 6th in my head - that's all. Let's go with your suggestion.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Which suggestion?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Start with XP 1/2 way through 6th level.