Session 2 Wrap-Up / The Lightbringers

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
erilar

Session 2 Wrap-Up / The Lightbringers

Post by erilar »

First, we need to deal with Cory's slain character. Cory, I may have given you the impression that Naru's body is not recoverable, but that's not the case. I kind of expected the zombies to keep tearing him apart, but they did not get the chance, as the party kept them busy. So, Naru's body is simply quite a bit mauled up.

The down side is that there aren't any clerical services available. The town's priest was only 5th level, and he was quite mad (and now quite dead).

There are several other options available to you. Regardless of which you choose, the character will start out half way through one level below that of the party average level. We'll need to see if anyone levels from session 2's xp. This level penalty is a bit unfair to you, as your character died through no mistake of yours, but we need to be consistent to remain fair.

One option open to you is to actually take on the role of Ashlyn. You wanted to play a paladin, and her character has already been introduced. I'll give you the opportunity to make some changes to her build and loadout, but we should stick with her basic theme.

Another option, seeing as you were thinking paladin, is to introduce a new character as a "reinforcement" from Ashlyn's guild, the Lightbringers.

The Lightbringers are an expansive guild of undead hunters. They readily hand out charters memberships to almost anyone interested in stamping out the undead. The have no central HQ, but are affiliated with good-aligned temples, especially those of Pelor. Their symbol is a stylized half-sun, half-moon disc, and their credo is "suffer no false life."

Guild membership offers many benefits (if access to such is available) - things like alternative class abilities, free castings of Restoration, requests for aid vs. tough undead enclaves, and useful contacts. (Most of these benefits will not be available inside Barovia, however.)

Lightbringer bards, clerics, paladins, and rogues may take advantage of special alternative class features specifically tailored to combat the undead. Sometimes these features replace the normal class features.

Lightbringer rogues gain the Penetrating Strike feature, allowing them to gain 1/2 their sneak attack damage against foes immune to sneak attack damage if they maintain a flanking position (doesn't work just for flat footed, or on creatures that can't be flanked). (I thought Pierce might be interested in this...)

Lightbringer paladins replace Detect Evil at 1st lvl with Detect Undead. They replace Divine Health at 3rd level with Pelor's Blassing (Smite Evil is twice as effective against undead). At 6th level, they forgo their weekly casting of Remove Disease to gain a Warded Special Mount (which is immune to death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and negative energy effects).

Lightbringer bards can lose Bardic Knowledge to gain Undead Bardic Knowledge. They can lose Inspire Competence to gain Inspire Turning (helps others' turning attempts). Finally they can replace Suggestion with Repel Domination (+2 to saves resisting mind-affecting effects from undead).

Lightbringer clerics can drop Turn Undead to take Destroy Undead (does area effect damage against undead, resisted by will save, consumes turn attempts). They can drop one Domain Power to gain True Daylight (blow a turn undead attempt to make a Daylight spell cast create true daylight, with reduced area of effect and duration). The can also drop a Domain Power to use Positive Healing (blow a turn attempt to grant someone Fast Healing 2 for 5 rounds).

Let me know what you're thinking about playing. We'll need to touch base with the others' leveling progress to see what level this character will be.
Last edited by erilar on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Retraining and Lightbringer Abilities

Post by erilar »

Existing characters, through joining the Lightbringer organization, can retrain to learn the alternate versions of their class features. This can only happen when they level, and the choice is permanent - no switching back. One need not learn all the alternate class features, and may retain some of the normal versions, if desired.

Lightbringer membership has several prerequisites:

Associated Skills
Characters must have at least Rank 4 is one of the following - Concentration, Gather Information, Heal, or Knowledge (History, local, or religion).

Dues
100g to join, and 100g annual dues. The real cost, though, is a commitment to destroy a minimum number of undead each year. Each member sets his own limit, and is accountable to the local chapter.

Ashlyn is able to help retrain anyone interested when they level up. She is more galvanized than ever to this cause after witnessing the demise of her friends, and welcomes you into the organization. The Lightbringers welcome any class, not only those granting special optional abilities.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Very cool. I wanted to pick up the LightBringers sourcebook a few years back and never did. Sounds cool. I'm bummed about being the mage now.

- George
erilar

Post by erilar »

Wow, I didn't know there was a Lightbringer sourcebook - this stuff is all out of my module. Perhaps there's some special stuff in the sourcebook for mages?
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I suppose I should get to work on this character then eh? Just to refresh myself we have:

Ken - Rogue
Nate - Crazy druid/fighter
Bob - Cleric
Jon - Fighter
Damon - Bard
George - Wizard

That look right?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Looks about right.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Cory -

I'll give you two choices here:
  • * Create your character at level 5 1/2 if you need some XP available for item crafting, etc.
    * Start at level 6, with just the XP you need to gain that level
The group is just shy of leveling to 7th, and I don't want to penalize you too much, as I view the death of your character as having been very much out of your control (i.e. you made no mistake that brought it on). We're also very close to the start of the campaign.

For any further character deaths, we'll revert to the standard half-way through [average party character level - 1] formula.
NukeHavoc

Re: Session 2 Wrap-Up / The Lightbringers

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Lightbringer rogues gain the Penetrating Strike feature, allowing them to gain 1/2 their sneak attack damage against foes immune to sneak attack damage if they maintain a flanking position (doesn't work just for flat footed, or on creatures that can't be flanked). (I thought Pierce might be interested in this...)
What does this replace? Is this an optional 10th level ability or does it replace some other rouge ability? (e.g. more sneak attack damage). Game-mechanic wise, Pierce would want this, but role-playing wise, he's not quite ready to sign up for any organization. Let a few more undead chew on his entrails, and he may change his mind. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

That power doesn't replace any existing power - it's just a technique the Lightbringers can teach you if you meet the pre-reqs and join their organization.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Here's what I got so far. Suggestions are welcome. I know Bob and I talked but I can't really remember about what anymore. I'm looking at the lightbringer's feats. Might take detect undead... but thats it. The rest aren't powerful enough to take over what I'd be losing. Anyway:

: Male Human Pal6; CR 6;
Medium Humanoid (Human);
HD 6d10+6; hp 16;
Init +4; Spd 20 ft/x3;
AC 22 (+9 armor, +3 shield), touch 10, flat-footed 22;
Base Atk/Grapple +6/+9;
Full Atk +10/+5 +1 Glowing Cold Iron Heavy Mace (1d8+3;20/x2, +1 Silver
heavy mace), +10/+5 Two-handed (2d6+4;19-20/x2, Masterwork cold iron
greatsword), +7/+2 Two-handed (1d8+3;20/x3, Masterwork composite
longbow [+3]), +9/+4 One-handed (1d8+3;20/x3, Lance), +9/+4 One-handed
(1d4+3;19-20/x2, Dagger);
SA&SQ Aura of Good(Ex), Turn Undead(Su), Code of Conduct, Detect Evil(Sp), Smite
Evil(Su), Divine Grace(Su), Lay on Hands(Su), Aura of Courage(Su),
Divine Health(Ex), Spells, Special Mount(Sp), Remove Disease(Sp);
AL LG; SV Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5;
Str 16(+3), Dex 10(+0), Con 13(+1), Int 12(+1), Wis 13(+1), Cha 14(+2);
Skills: .
Feats: Improved Initiative (PH 96), Mounted Combat (PH 98)(Not sure about this one. I don't think its really requred for my character.), Power Attack (PH 98),
Improved Bull Rush (PH 95).
erilar

Post by erilar »

What does the "Glowing" feature of a magic weapon do? Is it simply a source of light?

Otherwise, looks great Cory.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

16 hp seems a bit low.

And, is the mace cold iron, or silver? Seems to be listed as both...
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I didnt enter the hp yet. Should be 50 hp. And the mace I typed in wrong. Should be just a silver heavy mace.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Looks pretty good, Cory. :)

The only suggestion I have is with feats. Imp Init is less useful than some of the divine combat oriented feats like Sacred Vengence or Sacred Shield.