Fortune Telling

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
erilar

Fortune Telling

Post by erilar »

Sorry my roleplaying of the fortune telling encounter was a little stiff. Sometimes I just have trouble being nervous and letting myself fall fully into character. I know that's weird since I know all you guys well, but sometimes still a little shy about RP. I'll get better. :)

I'll post the results of the fortune telling below soon.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Madam Eva's predictions follow:

Count Strahd

Eva dramatically places the King of Spades onto the table to represent Strahd, saying "He who dwells in Castle Ravenloft is a powerful man whose enemy is light and whose powers are beyond mortality. You will seek him in the castle, and though he might find you many times, you will find him only once."

She then draws a card from her deck, placing the four of clubs over Strahd's card. She nods knowingly and points at Doneghal. "Heh, heh- yes. You will find him on his throne, my pet!"

She then draws a second card, holding it up in front of you. "Out of the darkness and chaos, this card finds its reason and foundation. It shows the purpose of all things - the key to life and death and else beyond." She then reveals the card's identity - this time the nine of diamonds - and places it crosswise over the other two.

"Of course, of course. The darkness desires a light; death seeks warmth from the living. Yet the darkness fears a greater dark, and it strikes out against those that would replace it."

When you ask for clarification, she replies "The lord of the castle seeks a lady to reign beside him, but he fears rebellion from his subjects."

The Sunsword

Eva then places the jack of diamonds on the table beside the other pile. "What you seek is a blade of light, a weapon for vengeance."

She draws a two of hearts and places it over the jack. "Interesting. Seek it where the wilds reach close to the town, where chaos threatens order."

"However, children - the sword's light sleeps." She draws the ace of clubs and cross the other two cards. "Heh, heh, heh! To wake it, bring it to where the light lies dead, slain by the darkness that shrouds the castle."

At Doneghal's request, Eva clarifies with "Seek you the tomb of the fallen prince in the deepest recesses of the castle."

The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind

Madam Eva then places the queen of hearts on her tiny table. "This symbol is a powerful force for good and protection against the forces of darkness."

She draws a three of diamonds and places it over the queen, cackling with amusement at the result: "Seek it where the river flows into the land".

When Pierce asks her to clarify, and she replies "This card speaks of elemental forces mingling together. The symbol should be in the marsh downriver from here."

She glances meaningfully at Doneghal. "Mark me, child. The holiness in this item waits for hands of holiness to touch it once more, but that is not enough to bring its power back to life.

She then draws the 5 of diamonds and crosses the other two cards. "Hmm. You must bring the symbol to join the ancient lore of the castle."

At your request, she explains "The castle's library is a place of wisdom, warmth - and despair."

The Tome of Strahd

Finally, Eva produces the jack of clubs, starting a fourth pile. "The tome you seek holds knowledge of the ancient and knowledge of the land."

She then draws the six of spades and places it over the jack. "I see now - the tome lies among the other treasures of the castle."

When pressed by Doneghal, she offers "I see a blazing fire protecting the place where the lord hides his wealth, my pet. Yes, a fire!"

"Now, children - if you find the tome and delve into its secrets, you will discover the source of the lord's strength. If you read it carefully, you may also discover how to rob him of that strength."

She then draws your final card - the 5 of clubs. She then pauses, staring at this newest card, her expression guarded and curious. "You must find the three defiled places described in the tome. At each location, you must unearth the relic it contains. When you have all three relics, you must destroy what you have created."
Last edited by erilar on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Bump - here are Madam Eva's predictions. Perhaps you will want to review them in deciding where your quests will next take you.

I've highlighted fulfilled portions of the predictions in red.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Pierce reviews his haphazard notes of prophecy jotted down while being chased out of town by inflamed gypsies (aside: I think it reflects a lot of personal growth on our parts that they weren't actually *on fire*).

"We have the Amulet, which we purchased at the great price of our friend Dongegal's life, may he rest forever in Daern's heavenly fortress. It seems that our next step is obvious, namely finding the sunsword. We'll need the weapon to confront He Who Scares The Crap Out of Everyone, and we can't activate the sword until we find it, so I think our next step is obvious. That said, I could use a day or three to scribe some arcane scrollos that might come in handy during our next fight.

Also the cat needs a bath. And you know that isn't going to go well".
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

For tonight, plan for one step beyond the sword as well.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:For tonight, plan for one step beyond the sword as well.
"Seems like once we have the sword, we have no choice but to go to the castle, as that's where the rest of the prophesies are fulfilled; we need to find the library, the vault and the tomb, and all of them are there. Perhaps we can learn more about the castle's layout, and the best way to approach it without being reduced to lifeless husks..."
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Upon returning to the village, a lone young Vistani male approaches the party, proffering a message. “Madam Eva sends her regards.” Spidery, inky scrawl on a smudged and dingy parchment contains the following:
My children,

I have learned of Doneghal’s regrettable demise in the swamp – such a nice boy. I wanted to offer my condolences and what aid I may.

Heed these words – the fortunes shift, and your efforts have not gone unnoticed by the dark master. The cards shuffle and pass hands. He shifts pieces on the board, ever moving, ever scheming.

Regarding the ancient volume, the cards now speak of the wildness of nature. Seek it now in the heart of the wood, far from human hands.

The blade of light has also changed resting places. The Bronze Dragon is a card of water and air. The weapon of vengeance lies where the river flies.

Go in safety and be vigilant, my pretties,
Madam Eva