New Divine Character

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
EvilGenius

New Divine Character

Post by EvilGenius »

Here's my first concept. :)

He's a Paladin/Cleric of Azor'Alq, a Baklunish HeroGod of Light, Purity, Courage and Strength. Azor'Alq is an ascended Paladin of Al Akbar (famous for his holy relics the Cup and Talisman of Al Akbar).

I took 2 levels of paladin because we need a strong secondary fighter and my former cleric often took a beating in combat. This guy is better in combat. Also the two levels of paladin give me a very good defensive ability, Divine Grace (add Chr modifier to all saves). I can also Lay on Hands to supplement my clerical healing (or use as a touch attack vs undead).

With 4 levels of cleric, I have access to 2nd level spells, which is decent because I can still cast Lesser Restoration. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

"Zulim Lukul Salim: Male Human(Bakluni) Clr4/Pal2; HD 4d8+2d10+6; hp 42;
Init +5; Spd 20 ft/x3;
AC 25 (+8 armor, +4 shield, +1 dex, +2 deflection), touch 13, flat-footed 24;
Base Atk/Grapple +5/+6;
Full Atk +8 +1 Scimitar (1d6+2;18-20/x2), +6 Spear (1d8+1;20/x3), +6 Light Crossbow (1d8;19-20/x2)
SA&SQ Aura(Ex), Spontaneous Casting, Restricted Spells, Turn Undead(Su), Code of Conduct, Aura of Good(Ex), Detect Evil(Sp), Smite Evil(Su), Divine Grace(Su), Lay on Hands(Su)
AL LG; SV Fort +14, Ref +8, Will +13;
Str 12(+1), Dex 12(+1), Con 12(+1), Int 10(+0), Wis 15(+3), Cha 16(+4)
Skills: Concentration¹ +10, Diplomacy¹ +8, Knowledge (religion) +9, Knowledge (the planes) +2, Ride¹ +4.
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Turning, Weapon Focus (Scimitar²), Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item."
• Aura(Ex): You have a moderate aura of Good.
• Spontaneous Casting: Can spontaneously cast cure spells, by sacrificing a pre-prepared spell of equal or higher level.
• Restricted Spells: cannot cast Chaotic or Evil spells.
• Turn Undead(Su): Can turn undead 7 times per day. A turning check is made on 1d20+6; turning damage is equal to 2d6+9 on a successful check.
• Code of Conduct: You must remain Lawful Good. You must respect legitimate authority, act with honor, help those in need, and punish those that harm or threaten innocents. You must never knowingly associate with evil characters, or those that consistently offend your moral code.
• Aura of Good(Ex): You have a moderate aura of Good.
• Detect Evil(Sp): At will, as the spell.
• Smite Evil(Su): 1 time(s) per day, you can add +4 to your attack roll; if the creature you strike is evil, you inflict an extra 2 points of damage.
• Divine Grace(Su): Add +4 to all saves.
• Lay on Hands(Su): As a standard action, you can heal yourself or someone else. You can cure a total of 8 points of damage per day. These points can also be used to harm undead.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Stranger in a strange land eh? Well, the Ravenloft mists should nicely neutralize any problems with explaining how the hell he got to the opposite side of the Flanaess from the Baklunish lands. :)

Overall, good character concept. I agree we need a little more muscle on the front line, and a paladin should be very helpful in that regard.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Interesting char, Bob. Looks like he's just what the doctor ordered.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Little bit more info on Azor'Alq.

"Strength grows in the light of courage. The bright sword of Azor'alq, once drawn, may be sheathed again ony in victory. A true leader is the first to join in battle, and the last to seek rest. The flame of truth must be tended with good thoughts, good words, and good deeds, so that the purity of its light may dispel the tyranny of darkness."

"His adherence to good is unwavering, therefore he does not seek to restore the fallen or convert the evil, for he has no mercy to offer them." "His few remaining paladins seek to emulate the legendary Thousand Immortals by destroying creatures of Darkness (typically fiends and undead)."

Seems appropriate, huh? :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Zulim has the Domains of Sun and War, exactly what I was looking for. Sun domain gives him the ability to do a Greater Turning once per day (undead normally turned are destroyed instead). And the War domain gives him Weapon Focus, Scimitar for free, along with some cool spells (Magical Weapon and Spiritual Weapon currently).

And he's got some sweet equipment, of course. :)

Magical Equipment
13k starting gold
+2 armor - 2k (1k because I crafted it)
+2 shield - 2k (1k because I crafted it)
Cloak of Charisma +2 - 4k (2k because i crafted it)
Periapt of Wisdom +2 - 4k (2k because i crafted it)

Wand of Bless Weapon - 1500g

Armor abilities - Lesser Restoration, 1/day (2nd lvl x 3rd Caster lvl x 1800 = 10400/5 [for 1 use per day] = 2080gp /2 because I crafted it = 1040)

Prot fr Evil, continuous (1st lvl x 1st caster lvl x 2000 x2 [because duration 1 min/lvl] = 4k /2 because I crafted it = 2k)

7500g
+ 3040g
=10540g

+1 weapon - 2k (1k because i crafted it)

Scrolls -
Restoration - 800g
Dispel Magic - 375g
Augury - 175g
Comp Languages - 25g

Total gold spent = 12,915
Total xp spent = 763.2
erilar

Post by erilar »

Really interesting god - sort of an amalgam of bushido and Eastern religion. Pretty cool.

The "does not try to convert or save the fallen or evil" is really an interesting twist.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hey Lance, do you mind if I take the Leadership feat and bring a cohort?

I'm not sure if I'm going to play this guy or not. I'm thinking I may play a dwarven cleric with a gnomish follower. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Hey Lance, do you mind if I take the Leadership feat and bring a cohort?

I'm not sure if I'm going to play this guy or not. I'm thinking I may play a dwarven cleric with a gnomish follower. :)
I seem to remember a huge debate about Leadership and followers a while back, when Piece's days looked numbered and I wanted to bring in a paladin along with his squire. Answer then was no, if I recall correctly.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

yes, that's when we discussed it, but you decided not to do it because Pierce lived. I don't recall Lance ever saying no to the concept.

But that's why I'm asking now. If Lance doesn't want to allow it, that's perfectly okay with me. Just thought I'd ask. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Ugh. I still argue that the 3.x Leadership rules are uber broken.

A 6th level char with a +0 CHA modifier can attract a 4th level cohort. Um, what? Buying an extra 4th level character with one feat? How is that not completely unbalancing?

If you really want to use Leadership, convince me otherwise. I've never liked this implementation of Leadership.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, I'm not trying to change your mind, per se, but there is another use for one feat which has a huge effect. Any of the item creation feats. The way we use them, I could practically double my starting gold for magical items (and really, looking at our campaign, that's NOT a bad thing).

I think the idea is that the PCs are powerful, noteworthy individuals. Even a gruff, non-friendly PC has admirers. Heroic actions inspire others to rise above themselves.

In game terms, I don't think the mechanic is broken for a few reasons. First, you spend a feat to do this. That's not trivial. A 6th level character has earned 3 whole feats. A human 6th level character has 4. Fighters get additional feats, which certainly eases the cost. But I'm not a fighter. :)

Secondly, followers take treasure away from the main character. If the PC does not bestow gold and magical items on his cohort, the cohort becomes much less loyal. So, less treasure for the PC. That's also a serious restriction.

Thirdly, at most levels, a combat threat that's a serious challenge for the PCs is overwhelming to a character 2 levels lower. Think about the Ravenloft combats we've had. We barely survived most of them. Throw in a character that's 2 levels lower and the party gets some additional help, which is great, but that lower level guy also needs some protection/looking after or he's toast.

If you don't want to allow it, that's okay with me. I just don't think it's a broken feat.
erilar

Post by erilar »

OK - valid points. Except - name any feat at 6th level that adds the versatility and power of an additional 4th level character under your command. That's the part I'm talking about. And the cohort doesn't even consume party XP.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, and cohorts don't count when figuring XP for the party, but they also can't level up to be within one level of the PC they follow... so they don't leech XP away from the rest of the party, while still remaining mostly inferior to the other members... and if they get killed, bad mojo for their leader's leadership score.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, WTF - let's try it. We've got to playtest it somewhere. If it's too unbalancing, the werewolves have to eat something. :D