Characters

Post by EvilGenius »

So far we've got:

Damon: Moraim, 13th Dwarven Cleric
Nate: Heydrich, 12th level awesome crossbow sniper
Lance: ?
Cory: ?
George: ?

Lance, Cory & George, any idea on what you'd like to play? If this was too short notice, let me know. we can skip and retry later ('cause two players don't have a high survivability :) ).
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Cory and I have been chatting back and forth.

Right now, we're thinking about taking on the roles of the melee types. Uncertain of race and class. Current discussion is Dwarf Paladin and Dwarf Fighter.

The paladin may be able to support the cleric with some spells and the also the fighter.

Would Dwarven Defender prestige class be allowed? We are thinking about the back-to-back fighter deal or "the Steel Curtain (2)".

At that point, it's open for a rogue, ranger, or arcane caster. Then again, with good clerics and strong fighters, we can hold out pretty long.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

*twitch* dwarven paladin *twitch* :shock: :?

eh, sure. for all of the non-human races, i think dwarves would be the closest to having paladins. but it still makes me twitchy. to which god would he be devoted?

Dwarven Defender is an acceptable prestige class.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Just to check but I recall a nix on this before:

Dwarven wizard? We have arcane yet, but I'd like to play a dwarf (most likely this would be with a rank or two in fighter). If this would be acceptable, I was also looking at the Rune Caster from Races of stone.

Again, something I thought was already nixed, but figured it doesnt hurt to ask ;-)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Absolutely not! (and no sorcerers either!) *shudder* :P
Hardcorhobbs wrote:Dwarven wizard?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

[grumble] No dwarven paladins. [grumble] Next thing you know, it'll be kobolds [grumble].

IMHO, paladins should still be human or half-human in deference to historical Greyhawk.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:IMHO, paladins should still be human or half-human in deference to historical Greyhawk.
I agree, but I was trying not to say no to everything corey and george wanted to do. :)

I don't see a problem with trying it out on a temporary basis, as long as it's understood that it's NOT standard. Other dwarves will think it's strange, and there's not going to be an order of dwarven paladins.

Heck, maybe a dwarven paladin even worships a human god like Hieroneous instead of dwarven gods. Although the character needs a backstory to make that believable.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

You guys and your crazy "rules" about dwarves. :-P

On another note one thing that interested me were the "halfling slingers". If I go that option is the from complete arcane scout ok? Might be some cool options if I mix scout and wizard.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Scout/Wizard? Yeah, that's okay.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I agree, but I was trying not to say no to everything corey and george wanted to do. :)
Pah. You can't coddle these players. First dwarven paladins, next thing you know it's gnomish gunslingers. :)
I don't see a problem with trying it out on a temporary basis, as long as it's understood that it's NOT standard. Other dwarves will think it's strange, and there's not going to be an order of dwarven paladins. Heck, maybe a dwarven paladin even worships a human god like Hieroneous instead of dwarven gods. Although the character needs a backstory to make that believable.
I could grudgingly go along with a dwarven paladin following the human tradition of chivalry, with (as you mention) the appropriate back story. But no dwarven tradition of paladins. IMHO, a much better fist would be the Champion class from Arcana Unearthed, which allows you to have champions serving different higher callings -- a champion of justice, or of law, etc.

I see dwarven society as having a need for warriors who are more than just fighters, and blessed by a touch of the divine, but paladins they are not. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

BTW, I dug out D'klar's character sheet this morning, and it turns out that after the big fight with the dragon, he leveled up to 16. I think that's going to be too high, at least for the start of the adventure. How about I make up a new dwarf instead?

I'd probably do another warrior-priest of Clangeddin, possibly a pupil of D'klar's. But a little more charismatic and 3E optimized. (read = he'll have a Chr higher than 10).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Awwww, I was looking forward to D'klar. :(

But hey, more dwarves = more better! :)
NukeHavoc wrote:BTW, I dug out D'klar's character sheet this morning, and it turns out that after the big fight with the dragon, he leveled up to 16. I think that's going to be too high, at least for the start of the adventure. How about I make up a new dwarf instead?

I'd probably do another warrior-priest of Clangeddin, possibly a pupil of D'klar's. But a little more charismatic and 3E optimized. (read = he'll have a Chr higher than 10).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm going to work on a few high level short adventures so we can revisit characters like D'klar, Gideon, Erilar and Ragnar.

But we've got to level up some characters for Damon, Corey and George. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Cory, if Scout is not an arcane class, and you weren't planning on multi-classing arcane, then I'll play an arcane caster. IMO, multi-classed casters in 3E are gimped anyways.

Perhaps Manansi from the Soulstones campaign could have wandered to this locale? Is the Soulstones campaign officially dead?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

The wizard levels I'd be taking would be to suplement the strategies George and I were working on. I'd take mostly buffing and combat orriented spells. No (or few) damage dealing spells. It'd be to help out the "scout" part of the character.

So yes we would still need an arcane caster.

Also I agree, when you multiclass a wizard or cleric you dull it down a bit. However, when you take a few levels in such a class you can actually really supliment it.

I might however take sorc/scout if your going the main caster route. It'll save me from the memorization aspect. (I have what I need when I need).