Characters

The Dwarven Imperative.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I got one
erilar wrote:I sent txt msgs out trying to coordinate. Did you get them?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:I sent txt msgs out trying to coordinate. Did you get them?
Yep. You asked to co-ordinate here if possible, so I posted here. :)

Sorry Heather and Zack are sick though. That's no fun. :(
erilar

Post by erilar »

Zack's not sick - he's home playing WoW... I beginning to wonder if LVA simply has a gullible nurse.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Zack's not sick - he's home playing WoW... I beginning to wonder if LVA simply has a gullible nurse.
LOL!!! Hold on, I'm going to try that with my boss, hold on, let me rub my face. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Adding my character idea here too, so it doesn't get lost where I originally responded:

Even though Ken said he'd go two-fisted like Luc, I was thinking a similar build, but different in concept. I was thinking a dwarven fighter/tempest, dual-wielding dwarven waraxes. I've looked over the two-weapon feats in the PHB, the PHB2, complete adventurer, and complete warrior. None of the ones I like seem too broken, so I think it'll be a good build, but not uber. I'll run everything by you when I get him built.

As for backstory, I was thinking he'd be a dwarf from geoff whose clan was exterminated by the giants. he picked up his lighter-armor, dual-wielding style fighting skirmishes with geoff rangers against the giants. With his clan destroyed, he is unhomed. He met Gideon in geoff, who, as a dwarf-friend, recomended that he might be more comfortable rebuilding with the Dwarves of Khelez-Mar, rather than the neighboring geoffite clans who were his rivals before the giant invasion. So, he's trekked to OB to find these dwarves in an attempt to lend a hand to their efforts to rebuild. Not in an attempt to replace his clan with theirs, but to hopefully do his clan name proud by assisting those who still have a chance at rebuilding.

Just a few thoughts...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sounds good, Jon! :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

For the record I'm playing a knight. Sir Ottomar of the River Valley, Knight Commander of the Sword. His build is that of a team player/tank. With a speed of 40 he's generally the first into combat, surrounding himself with enemies (and using his abilities to keep them there). This allows for allies to take up tactical positions around him. Oh, and as Bob said in another thread, his AC is really high, and pumpable. This keeps him save while others take positions.

Just for a bit of background:
I would assume that Sir Ottomar was able to convince the heiarchy of the sword that helping the Dwarves would also be helping protect OB as per his oath. Thus they would give their blessing for him to go?

OR

I know you said the knights of the shield sent a contingent to KM. And we traveled with the knights of the fist. Would I simply be joining a contingent of the knights of the sword?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, the City of OB doesn't need to be convinced to help out Khelez-Mar, an important source of war material.

Let's say you've been given orders to assess the situation, provide what aid you may and report non-confidential info back to the Commander of the Knights of the Sword.

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Just for a bit of background:
I would assume that Sir Ottomar was able to convince the heiarchy of the sword that helping the Dwarves would also be helping protect OB as per his oath. Thus they would give their blessing for him to go?

OR

I know you said the knights of the shield sent a contingent to KM. And we traveled with the knights of the fist. Would I simply be joining a contingent of the knights of the sword?
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Perfect. Thanks Bob.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Cory -- great character concept, though I'm not sure about the "rest of the party taking up tactical positions" bit 'cause it sounds like Jon and I are also creating brawlers (though mine will be more of a close, hack, sunder type of barbaric ranger while his is more of a whirlwind/spring attack kind of skirmisher).

Not saying your character won't work, just that it's likely he'll have some company in the think of things.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Oh, his character works just fine. And don't worry, there will be more than enough bad guys to go around for all interested melee combatants. I mean, I can only get 8 around him at once. :)
NukeHavoc wrote:Not saying your character won't work, just that it's likely he'll have some company in the think of things.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yeah, it's working well so far. We have an interesting dynamic going between the very organized, super chivalrous knight and paladin, and the rest of us hard-nosed more Blackrazer-y types. It's going to work out well.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:Cory -- great character concept, though I'm not sure about the "rest of the party taking up tactical positions" bit 'cause it sounds like Jon and I are also creating brawlers (though mine will be more of a close, hack, sunder type of barbaric ranger while his is more of a whirlwind/spring attack kind of skirmisher).

Not saying your character won't work, just that it's likely he'll have some company in the think of things.
Well, at 40ft a round I get in there quick. So though you may not need the tactical options... they will present themselves. For instance you guys could choose and go after the leaders. Or bypass the fighters and go for the mages, clerics, bards ect. I think it worked out well for the party we had last night, and with more melee power it'll still work, just as you said... I'll have more company.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Well, at 40ft a round I get in there quick. So though you may not need the tactical options... they will present themselves. For instance you guys could choose and go after the leaders. Or bypass the fighters and go for the mages, clerics, bards ect. I think it worked out well for the party we had last night, and with more melee power it'll still work, just as you said... I'll have more company.
My dwarf will also move at 40 (barbarian, boots of striding) and his combat style will have him in the mix right up with you. :) Two front line fighters should be pretty useful though, esp. in this campaign.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I've been working on my new dwarf ranger/barbarian, and he's looking pretty good except that he has a crappy wisdom score of 10, which precludes his spellcasting abilities. He's still be very much a ranger, with tracking, dual-axe wielding and an animal companion) but spells just don't fit the sort of dwarven mountain man approach I'm taking with this character.

(and this is where the lack of a point buy for feats/skills/etc. in D&D is a little annoying)

Anyway, I've been looking at possible alternative rangers that forsake the spellcasting abilities in favor of something more useful to his style. Has anyone seen anything, either in the Complete books or in Dragon?

Something like forsaking spellcasting in favor of having an animal companion at the equivalent druidic level (or even druid -2) would be cool since it would allow him to have a bear as an animal companion (instead of yet another wolf). Enhancements to fighting would also be useful, though I'd rather have the more powerful animal companion since it fits better.

What do you guys think?