Optimizing our time on Friday

The Dwarven Imperative.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I think it's very difficult for DMs to run rogues in dungeon adventures, so if we recruit a trap finder, one of us should play him. I'll volunteer for that -- I'm thinking maybe a gnome rogue?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I agree with having you guys run the rogue. Gnomish or dwarven rogue is fine (alignment LG for dwarf, CG for gnome. Heavy on trapfinding, disabling, open locks type skills).

However, as I posted, now that Moraim really looks over the Find the Path spell, he should be able to get you to where you're going with little or no problem with traps.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Yeah, but while the spell may tell us where the traps are, its not going to disable them for us, and I suspect none of us have a really good disable device (or open locks) roll. Since we're here, I say we get the rogue.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I think the idea is that the spell not only tells us where the traps are, but also tells us how to avoid the traps, so we won't need to be disarming them. Bring a rogue if you want, but I don't think it'll be necessary.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:I think the idea is that the spell not only tells us where the traps are, but also tells us how to avoid the traps, so we won't need to be disarming them. Bring a rogue if you want, but I don't think it'll be necessary.
"Avoid" might let you find a new passage way around the trapped area, or it might tell you how to disable the trap ... but if the later (and assuming you need some sort of roll to do it), we'll come up short as we're not the disarm type.

But that's ok. Kull is adept at dealing with traps in a straightforward sort of way. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Prior versions of the spell allowed you to sense a trap in your path and if you paused a moment to concentrate, you learned what action to take to bypass the trap. I'm thinking it should work the same way now.

I'm not saying that taking a locksmith isn't a good idea, but if Moraim says, "hey, there's a pit trap here", then you can safely trigger it and then jump/climb/fly/dd across. If there's an arrow trap on the door, you can lift the latch from a few feet away with spear or pole, safe from the arrow.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

A scroll of Daylight and Invisibility Purge would be helpful.

Last up, I would like to purchase the 250 gp salve (seems simple) for True Seeing. Ideally, 2-3 of these would be good.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Heth and Zack had been planning on me not being home tonight, so I am planning on playing. Not sure I'll stick around super late or anything - a bit done in by travel - but I'll try.

Therefore, Manansi will be there to unlock stuff via a bunch of Knock spells. I'll search my spell lists for any more useful "thief-y" stuff like that to take as well.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

George, to streamline, you are able to get the supplies you've requested, and with Moraim's help you get the for list price (no inflation).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:George, to streamline, you are able to get the supplies you've requested, and with Moraim's help you get the for list price (no inflation).
Not to rain on the get-back-to-the-dungeon parade, but if one of our goals is to flesh out Khelez-Mar, shouldn't we be role-playing these encounters? Personally, I'd like Khelez-Mar to be more than a fuel-and-go gas station for wandering adventurers.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

It will be much more. But I had understood that tonight, we wanted a quick stop, not to spend most of the night in the fortress (and I haven't adequetly prepared for most of the night in the fortress).

There will be quite a lot of "in fortress" gaming in the next few sessions after the wyvren adventure concludes.
NukeHavoc wrote:Not to rain on the get-back-to-the-dungeon parade, but if one of our goals is to flesh out Khelez-Mar, shouldn't we be role-playing these encounters? Personally, I'd like Khelez-Mar to be more than a fuel-and-go gas station for wandering adventurers.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:It will be much more. But I had understood that tonight, we wanted a quick stop, not to spend most of the night in the fortress (and I haven't adequetly prepared for most of the night in the fortress).
ok, thanks for the heads-up.