Optimizing our time on Friday

The Dwarven Imperative.
T1Mirage

Optimizing our time on Friday

Post by T1Mirage »

Bob -

What are you open to for Friday to save the most amount of time and getting back into the game?

Can we resolve buying some items before the game? Perhaps the wizard could teleport us near the dwarves and then let us buy items and blink back? This way we could have the list of items and you can approve-disprove the items we would like.

As well, are there any guidelines we should follow in asking for items? E.g., no wizard scrolls and cleric scrolls are available under 3rd level?

- George
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

If the party wants to 'port back to Khelez-Mar to resupply, then we can handle that on-line.

If you want to craft your own items, many materials will be available, but tell me what you'll need. Certain rarities will not be available.

If you want to purchase supplies, the dwarves will have divine magical up to 5th level available, price to be negotiated (but fair). Arcane magical equip will be more difficult to come by. Nothing above 3rd lvl will be available, and the 1-3rd stuff will be heavily slanted toward Illusion magic, with some enchantment/charm (most of the arcane magic at Khelez-Mar is produced by the several gnomish illusionists who came to Khelez-Mar with the dwarves).

If you're willing to wait a bit, you can leave word for Sven Kildare, a Terramancer (earth elementist mage) who frequents the stronghold. From Sven, you may be able to get more powerful arcane magical supplies focusing on transmutation, evocation or abjuration magic, but nothing that involves "air" magic (levitation, flying, lightning bolt and the like).
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

"Ah, so it's back to Khelez-Mar is it? Well, ah'll not belabor the point. ah've been meaning to refill my tankards of healing ale anyway. But 'eleporting ... sounds like that dangerous arcane magic that the humans are always going on about. Not sure ah like that." -- Kull.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

"Don't worry about it Kull," Moraim says, slapping a hand down on the mountaineer's shoulder. "What are the chances something can go wrong? Why, with the Blackrazors, I teleported all the time. There's only a small chance of materializing in solid rock, or ported to some other plane of existence, or having our bodies scrambled beyond recognition. Why, it's only happened to me...maybe...once. Yes once..."

Damon.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

(for starters - too late to calculate,etc)

Rencore will be in the market for:
- Dispel Magic (2 scrolls)
- Restoration (2 scrolls)
- Sanctuary (potion or scroll)
- Delay Poison
- Locate Object
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Kull will see out the local drinking hole. In addition to finding some regenerative mead (cure light wounds potions), he's going to start looking for a deep delver whose handy with traps and might be willing to join the return expedition to the Obsidian Maze.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

So how many days are we going to stay here? If its going to be a while, Moraim may borrow some study time and churn out scrolls or potions...

Damon.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I don't think the plan is to stay long enough to craft things. I think it's more a trip back to rest/get healed up, buy any items to supplement what we need, allow my character to join the party again, and then head back out to fight the good fight. So, maybe one night's time total spent at the stronghold.

Additionally, I'm not sure we really want to add an NPC trapfinder to the mix. Sure, not having a high-level rogue hinders us a bit, but having the DM run an NPC to do our job for us lessens some of the game a bit, don't you think? We haven't really tried a cautious approach, doing what we can to find/avoid/circumvent through other means any traps that await us. I'm sure we can be successful without bringing an NPC with us. With all the diverse talents our characters have, we certainly can come up with a better solution.

Just my thoughts...

And, to recap: the party had a tough time with the traps and such in the Maze, so they are headed back to Khelez-Mar to resupply. Then, we are headed back into the Maze to find a passage to the wyvern caverns to gather info about the wyverns and a possible connection to the amassing orcs, especially the three mountain tribe, correct?
Last edited by Jonkga on Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Either way with the trapfinder is okay with me. Although if Moraim makes a wisdom check he may have something very useful to contribute .......
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I made my wisdom check...Detect traps cleric spell? We already thought of that one, but his search check isn't THAT great, even with the spell. This was one of the reasons why Moraim wants to make some spells (plus whatever buffer helps in search...INT?)...

Damon.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I think he was thinking of the Find the Path spell, but I could be wrong...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yes Damon, Ulaa gently reminds you of the spell Find the Path. Go read the description.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Context is important Bob. And we already have that covered from last session.

Damon.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

Aw man, I was going to mention it in a message a week or so ago re: Find the Path. Admittedly, I seen the shortest and most direct path and from there all I could think of was "Wayfinder".

Who holds Wayfinder finds good roads
Its master's step is brisk.
The Sword of Wisdom lightens loads
But adds unto their risk.

Still it has to be a better path than trying to find the way. :roll:

Also, getting a scroll of 'sending' and 'daylight' would be valuable as well.

I would like to spend minimal time on getting stuff. We need to rest for 1 night for the wizard, teleport in the morning, get stuff, and teleport back.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Context is important Bob.
Ha! This just seems silly coming from the master of vaugeness ....
Lars Porsenna wrote:And we already have that covered from last session. Damon.
Yes, you talked about it in general, but there's an important part to remember, which obviates the need for a trapfinder (and differentiates the spell from Wayfinder).

From the Hypertext SRD:

The spell enables the subject to sense the correct direction that will eventually lead it to its destination, indicating at appropriate times the exact path to follow or physical actions to take. For example, the spell enables the subject to sense trip wires or the proper word to bypass a glyph of warding. The spell ends when the destination is reached or the duration expires, whichever comes first.

So if everyone's super worried about a bunch of nasty traps, not only can you find the exact path to what you're looking for but you can also avoid any physical/magical traps along the way.

Is that enough context for you, Damon? :wink: