360 Go! ... go?

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

360 Go! ... go?

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I find it highly reassuring that I'm trying to log onto 360 tonight and it won't load any games. Especially this close to Christmas where I asked for a few games. :(
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

HA! They want me to send it back. WTF is wrong with these stupid machines? Why can't they make a good one?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Wow - uncool, Cory. Were you getting any red lights or anything?

Per what I've been seeing on 360 forums, it's taking MS about 3 weeks to get peoples' boxes back to them.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Which is why I got the extended warrenting through Best Buy. I just walked in, gave them my 360, and they gave me a new one. You should check where you bought it Cory -- they may have a 3-month return policy or some such.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Yeah, 4 days before Christmas when I will hopefully get some new games I need to send the box out for 4+ weeks. :( Nope, no red lights, or any indication. Games just won't read. Worked fine last Thursday when I played it last. No clue what could have happened.

So I have two lack-luster options:

1) Send the xbox back to microsoft and wait for weeks until its returned to me, but my xbox will be intact (though I hear saved games have been lost in this process).

2) Take it back to best buy. I bought the service plan for this eventuality, just didn't think I'd use it two and a half months after I bought it. Doing this I'll end up with a brand new xbox. Problem is I'm not sure Best Buy stocks the Halo edition 360 anymore meaning I'll get something else. Not really a problem unless they try and cheat me out of money. I also need to come up with some way to transfer my data off my xbox so I have it for the new one.

So I guess I'll just fight the traffic this weekend and return it so I'm all set for Christmas. It really sucks though!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:Which is why I got the extended warrenting through Best Buy. I just walked in, gave them my 360, and they gave me a new one. You should check where you bought it Cory -- they may have a 3-month return policy or some such.
Yeah, working at best buy taught me to buy them. But see above, not sure if they stock the halo edition xbox anymore :-(

Bright side would be a free upgrade to the elite ;-)

Edit:
Nevermind, just called and they still have them in stock. I just have to "finish the fight" to get up there.
erilar

Post by erilar »

The customer service line will probably also be a joy this time of year! I recommend sticky grenades - that'll thin out the line!

Good luck, bud!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Return line is ok right now. (Worked up to Christmas at best buy in the past). On the 26th, you'd need to go in with a Scorpion.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

New Xbox up and running. Unfortunately, they were out of halo xbox's, so I had to upgrade to an elite.

Cons:
I had to pay the difference costing me $70 more. I've noticed connectivity issues I didn't have before. Not sure if its my ISP or the new xbox but I could not connect to live Saturday night. Lost my rechargeable battery pack. Lost the cool looking Halo 3 Xbox skin.

Pros:
120 Gig Hard drive, Free games (Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2), Better cables for eventual upgrade to a High Def TV. Kept my special edition Halo 3 dashboard skins. Kept Carcassonne unlocked for me (as it was too big for the memory card).

Thanks for the memory card loan Ken. Lifesaver for someone halfway through both Halo 3 and Rockband!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote: Pros:
120 Gig Hard drive, Free games (Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2), Better cables for eventual upgrade to a High Def TV. Kept my special edition Halo 3 dashboard skins. Kept Carcassonne unlocked for me (as it was too big for the memory card). Thanks for the memory card loan Ken. Lifesaver for someone halfway through both Halo 3 and Rockband!
No problem -- I'm glad to be able to return the favor (as my friend Dave did the same for me when mine died).

I've got Forza 2 as well (and was just playing it yesterday actually). Let me know if you want to do some online racing.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:I've got Forza 2 as well (and was just playing it yesterday actually). Let me know if you want to do some online racing.
LOL you don't want to race me! I mean we certainly can, but I'm just plain awful! When I race its more like a demolition derby! I was mainly playing it for the points. I'm addicted to gamer points now. Well that and the game was free :wink:
erilar

Post by erilar »

Good to hear you're up and running, Cory.

Rock Band is fucking awesome!!! I haven't gotten to play it a lot yet. I do like the Rock Band guitar WAY better than the Guitar Hero ones - the fretboard feels like a guitar's without the big bulbous buttons. It always felt horribly unnatural to slide my hand along the fretboard with the GH one, but I'm playing on Hard with this game and doing well. The drums are really a challenge.

Zack and his friends were rocking out all day though and it was sooo funny to watch/hear. Hearing Zack from clear upstairs yell "Thank you, England!" at the end of the song just warms my metal heart. :D

Speaking of which - if you don't mind Cory, please bring your Rock Band guitar to our party on Friday. I have a little feeling this game will maybe come out. ;)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:
NukeHavoc wrote:I've got Forza 2 as well (and was just playing it yesterday actually). Let me know if you want to do some online racing.
LOL you don't want to race me! I mean we certainly can, but I'm just plain awful! When I race its more like a demolition derby! I was mainly playing it for the points. I'm addicted to gamer points now. Well that and the game was free :wink:
Did you guys try the Burnout Paradise demo yet? That would certainly satisfy the crash-em-up derby driver in Cory. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Did you guys try the Burnout Paradise demo yet? That would certainly satisfy the crash-em-up derby driver in Cory. :)
Oh no, you misunderstand me. I don't TRY to drive that way, its simply a fact. I'm not a fan of racing games in general (nor am I by any stretch of the imagination "good" at them). Now that I have Mass Effect its going to take a huge backseat.

Speaking of, Mass Effect is TOTALLY AWESOME! I love the controls for the game. Took a bit to get used to the scroll wheels, but the FPS scheme is great! I'm 11+ hours in now and I'm starting to nail the tactics. I just have to set a better team, and I'll be set for the game (Infiltrator was a bad class to start with).

I also like the revamped good/evil system. Since it's not Star Wars themed, I'm no longer finding myself questioning which side to be. KotOR always bogged me down with the "man, I should be more light" or "I should be more dark side" which saw me restart the game so many times I never finished it.

Side quests are awesome too. While I completed most of the standard ones on the space station, the first off world side quest I completed I heard while riding in an elevator! How great is that!? I jumped the gun a bit and went on to one of the main mission worlds, but I plan to spend the next several hours of the game on side quests. Especially since I learned I have a cannon on that land rover thing. Made things a whole lot easier ;-)

Oh, and I'll bring my guitar and controllers just in case. I expected we'd be rocking out!!!