I'm getting an xbox 360

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Jonkga

I'm getting an xbox 360

Post by Jonkga »

So, it seems a good friend of mine lucked into an incredibly discounted xbox 360 pro, and he's letting me buy it from him at an reduced rate ($250 for what usually goes for $350). So, I'll finally be able to join in all the console fun. :)

A question: to do xbox live, I need to hook this bad boy up to the internet, right? Can I do that over wi-fi, or does the xbox need to be directly connected? What issues might I confront getting this all integrated to my current computer hook-up?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Depends on what exactly you have for a cable modem. Is it a integrated modem/router (with multiple ethernet jacks out), or just a regular modem with a single ethernet jack for a single PC?

If you have the router, then all you have to do is run an ethernet cable from your router to the 360.

If you just have a modem, then you'll have to get some kind of router which lets you serve your internet access out to more than one device. The router can be wired only, or a wireless wifi kind (which also have wired jacks on them).

The 360 needs a wireless adapter to talk to a wifi router - wifi is not built in. The bad news is that 360 Wireless Adapter is about $100. The good news is that if you don't want to spring for one of those, I have one that was from my first-gen Xbox and they also work with the 360. You'd be very welcome to it. (Damon is actually using Ken's old Xbox one too and AFAIK it's working well.)

I would recommend networking the 360 with a physical cable if possible. You'll be avoiding any potential interferance/latency issues that can crop up.

If you can't, then be very careful when selecting your router. For whatever reason, Xbox Live is very picky about your router hardware. Make sure that the router is Xbox Live and/or Windows Vista approved! (There'll be little badges/stickers on the packaging.)

The Xbox wireless adapters support 802.11B and G protocols, and you want to go for G. It does not support the new draft N ones, so don't worry about springing for one of those.

This Linksys one is currently on sale and is listed on Xbox Live's list of approved routers. Let me know if you need help with hardware choices and/or installation.

Glad you're joining the 360 bunch!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, I'm going to be getting the same Lynksus router (the T-Mobile version) and hopefully setting up my apt for both wi-fi computer access and uma phone calling as well as getting the xbox connected to the internet. So, I feel a bit overwhelmed, but I think it'll work out just fine.

Famous last words... :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Dude!

Sweet!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

You'll be fine! With all these xboxes we're going to have to start pushing xbox night again :-D
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

EvilGenius wrote:Dude!

Sweet!
Yeah, now when you stay over you won't get any sleep at all.

Wait, erm, that probably didn't come out right. ;)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Wait, erm, that probably didn't come out right. ;)
Heh, that line's even funnier. :P :oops: