My Xbox...

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

My Xbox...

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

... is dead. And over two months out of warranty. Guess I'll be catching up on other game systems for a while...
EvilGenius

Re: My Xbox...

Post by EvilGenius »

Cory, there is a guy upstairs in my building who mods and/or repairs Xboxes. I've talked to him a few times but I don't know how much repair costs. Want me to find out?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Thanks, but no. For various reasons I just have to go without for now.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Re: the warranty expiration -- did you doublecheck with Microsoft? I thought they'd extended those a few times.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Yeah, they extended the warranty on certain errors to three years (normally it's only a one year). I of course bought my xbox in December 2007...
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Bob -- what's the ETA on your Xbox returning? I'm certainly up for some Halo once you're back online.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:Bob -- what's the ETA on your Xbox returning? I'm certainly up for some Halo once you're back online.
Should be back today or tomorrow, I think. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So in light of these events, I suspended my own rule... and I'm playing games on my laptop. Granted I'm not buying anything new. Just getting back into Spore. A game I played for a bit, and forgot about at some point. I forgot how much fun it was making a new creature and guiding it through evolution.

Thus far I have two creatures who have made it to the tribal age. I originally abandoned the first because I didn't realize my battery was going and I lost about an hour worth of play. However I really liked how it was developing. I want to go back to that one over the second, which just hasn't worked out as I thought it would. I guess that's evolution for you! :D
erilar

Post by erilar »

Cory, hard dates notwithstanding, it may be worth a call to Microsoft support. They do a really good job and your wait should be short. Ask them if they will extend warranty for your particular number of red rings. I'm guessing they will. Better than buying new one or going without until you're sure. They know they had a problem, and you bought yours early on.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Cory, hard dates notwithstanding, it may be worth a call to Microsoft support. They do a really good job and your wait should be short. Ask them if they will extend warranty for your particular number of red rings. I'm guessing they will. Better than buying new one or going without until you're sure. They know they had a problem, and you bought yours early on.
I did a bunch of research and I don't think my problem isn't the one they extended the warranty for. I checked with my buddy who owned the Control Pad and he said not only did his just do the same thing, Microsoft has gotten stingy as to what they'll fix. There was a time they'd fix/replace just about anything, but that time is past. :/
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I got a new one! Target open box special only $140! Plus a free movie, Wedding crashers! (Whoever returned it left the disc inside). :D
erilar

Post by erilar »

Wow, that's a good deal! (The Xbox, not Wedding Crashers, hehe.)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Glad to hear you're back in the mix!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Good news! And I'll have my XBox back tomorrow (see other thread).