Duke Nukem Forever - Insert Sad Trombone Here

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

Duke Nukem Forever - Insert Sad Trombone Here

Post by erilar »

I was worried that Gearbox was hitching their wagon to a dead horse. Such a great developer to be dragged down by sentimental feelings about an outdated license. Currently at a Metacritic of 50. Hope they didn't invest too much...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Re: Duke Nukem Forever - Insert Sad Trombone Here

Post by Jonkga »

Man, have you seen the furvor around this. All the threats of reprisals for the bad reviews, etc. Man, somewhere in there is a game, but gods knows how good now...
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, the user reviews are looking pretty lukewarm too, so it doesn't look like the press was influenced much if any. 3/5 on Amazon, 4.3/10 on Metacritic, 6/10 on GameFly.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

"With sales data, it seems like *customers* love Duke. I guess sometimes we want greasy hamburgers instead of caviar..." - Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford

:D Go Gearbox!!
erilar

Post by erilar »

I definitely wish them well. I wouldn't necessarily take Randy P's bravado for gospel truth of their financial success though - he's a world class spin doctor. :D

Not perhaps the game for me, but I understand why Gearbox did what they did. Oftentimes though, the emotional decision isn't the best business decision. Would hate to see such a great company take a bath on such a venture.

I do suspect that part of this investment was for the license itself. I'm guessing Gearbox would like to do their own Duke title down the line.