Gears of War 2 Hoard

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
EvilGenius

Gears of War 2 Hoard

Post by EvilGenius »

Just played Horde mode for a few hours with the guys from work. I think I like GoW hoard better than Halo waves. Much fun! :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Re: Gears of War 2 Hoard

Post by Jonkga »

I don't have GoW 2 yet, still working on finishing 1, but I do have 3 pre-ordered, and the beta of 3 was awesome, so I'm sure any of the co-op/multiplayer modes in Gow 2 are just as suited to our playtime as the good Halo stuff we've been want to do in the past.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I just finished GoW2, and I'd be up for some Horde. I haven't tried it yet.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yeah, definitely. GOW plays like paintball, so it's right up my alley.

Sorry, I got your message after the fact the other day. I've started playing the campaign so I can get used to the game. Will be ready for next time. :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Don't have the game, and haven't been impressed with the series. Might be a possibility in the future due to couch co-op... but not for a bit. We just picked up a few titles at a gamestop BOGO sale. (Resident Evil 5 (xbox), God of War Collection, and White Knight Chronicles)

That said, don't let my dis-involvement prevent you from enjoying! I can always join the party just to hang :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Ken & Bob - I got the comprehensive "All Fronts Collection" map pack (800 pts) last night, so I'll have all the maps for next time.

Was the most economical choice for me, since I didn't have even the free "Flashback" map pack that's unlocked with a code packed inside the retail game. Besides Flashback, there were also the Combustible, Snowblind, and Dark Corners packs.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

FYI, I really enjoyed our games last night. I like the cooperative mayhem of Horde mode a lot, and the general feel of the game feels a LOT like paintball to me (cover-based, many of the guns featuring relatively slow-moving projectiles, etc.). Me likey!
erilar

Post by erilar »

FYI, the map that Bob was describing last night is called "Security", and is one of the 10 maps that are offered on the game disk, so perhaps no reason for you to buy new maps just yet, Ken?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:FYI, the map that Bob was describing last night is called "Security", and is one of the 10 maps that are offered on the game disk, so perhaps no reason for you to buy new maps just yet, Ken?
Hmm. I'll need to look at the disk, but I'd be ok with buying the complete map pack if we're going to be playing this in heavy rotation over the next few weeks. It also comes with a "lost chapter" for the campaign that you can play.

I cleaned up my Xbox hard drive last night, so I have space for it -- I was down to about 600 MB left; now I have 5 GB.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:FYI, I really enjoyed our games last night. I like the cooperative mayhem of Horde mode a lot, and the general feel of the game feels a LOT like paintball to me (cover-based, many of the guns featuring relatively slow-moving projectiles, etc.). Me likey!

Agreed. I really like the GoW co-op. And on a map that I sort of know how to play, it's tons of fun! :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:I'd be ok with buying the complete map pack if we're going to be playing this in heavy rotation over the next few weeks. It also comes with a "lost chapter" for the campaign that you can play.
Agreed - I already went ahead and bought the $10 full set of maps last night. I had sourced GoW2 essentially for free w/ Goozex points, so this is just karma money back to Epic Games for developing a great game. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I plan on getting the complete map pack as well.