Boss fights

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Jonkga

Boss fights

Post by Jonkga »

I hate to be such a broken record, but I need to vent. My frustration level is so high right now I want to find a random passerby and club him to death with a ball peen hammer. I'm at the final boss fight in Gears 3 right now - and it's probably been the best game I've ever played (and if not the best, than certainly up there - as throughout the game it did all the stuff I like, and did it well). However, I simply cannot beat this final boss. I know exactly what tactics to use (I figured it out myself, and then confirmed on 36 different haxxors websites). I am playing on easy mode, and the game has been fun throughout. I simply cannot beat this fight. And, rather than feeling like a challenge, it simply makes me homicidal. I absolutely hate this. I want to finish the story, but I can't. I'm just so frustrated and tired of this - I don't think I own a game that I really like that doesn't make me feel this way. I wish I could just ignore it, but then I feel like I never finish games, and that makes me feel all tired and depressed as well.

OK, enough ranting. Get off my lawn.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Re: Boss fights

Post by Jonkga »

OK, I'm not nearly as stabby as I was yesterday, but I *still* can't beat this fight. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried. :(
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Whew. Finally emerged victorious! :) Basking in the Ice-T tunes over the credits, but really, I'm not sure how I did it - just the same approach, and for some reason, this time it worked. Anyway, I really liked this game, even with my trials at the final boss (cue the frontalot!). :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

OK, and now I feel like a complete jackalope. In reviewing my 'cheivos, I see that I had inadvertantly boosted my difficulty level to hardcore. So, I *thought* I was on easy mode, but it seems the difficulties I was having *were* quite possibly because I was playing above my skill level. D'oh! :)
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

Now THAT was an entertaining monologue. And I believe I may have done the EXACT same gaming snafu for GoW2's final boss.

And don't be too disappointed about not achieving victory on hardcore mode. It seems that only a fraction of a percent of gamers succeed and, when they do, they are recruited into the 'Last Starfighter' program, or some such nonsense. Personally, I'm too busy with Skyrim to deal with actually saving the galaxy. And I don't need a Zando-Zan knocking at my door; those Watchtower folks are bad enough.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm with ya buddy! I don't know how many times I had to try and fight the final boss in Transformers War for Cybertron. I also had to look up strategies for him, and then it still took me several tries.

I'm also stuck in Mass Effect 2 in operation overlord. They want me to platform with the stupid hover tank... onto moving lava rocks... which I can't see as soon as I boost up...

And I'm stuck in Assassins Creed 2 DLC. They want me to assassinate some dudes without being seen. I haven't had to do that the whole game. I'm a run through the crowd - kill the dude - jump into the river to get away kinda guy. Sucks that they changed it up! (Though lesson learned: don't buy DLC until you've beaten the game.)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

That was a pretty amusing monologue Jon. :) I have to agree with you on boss fights, particularly Gears of War boss fights. I really struggled with a lot of the transitional combats too, like the one where you have to flee the caverns on those flying monster things, while fighting off some other giant monster thing. I had to put the game down for a year before I was finally able to go back and finish it.

::NERD RAGE::
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange