Skyrim

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
NukeHavoc

Skyrim

Post by NukeHavoc »

Who's got it, who's playing it?

I picked it up (well, technically Sue picked it up) on Friday, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: Skyrim

Post by NukeHavoc »

I can't wait to play this game -- the reviews have been excellent, and word of mouth on twitter and facebook has been strong as well. I love a good sandbox game, and everything I've read says this is even better than Oblivion in that regard.

I haven't decided on a character yet -- I'd love to play an arcane archer again, but I felt that hurt me in Oblivion because I reached a point where you needed rare arrows to kill the demons, but -- being rare -- I never had enough of them. This was never a problem in the side quests, but the main quest was just too hard.

And yet ... the archery effects in Oblivion were fantastic. I loved hiding in the shadows and taking down my enemies with a single arrow; it reminded me of the old Thief games. If I go this route again I think I'll focus on destruction magic so I can still have a chance of taking out enemies once I run out of arrows.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

My buddy Tom got it, and loves it so far. I tried it for a bit the other night, and well, I guess I probably didn't give it enough time. I can see potential, but wasn't amazed right away.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:My buddy Tom got it, and loves it so far. I tried it for a bit the other night, and well, I guess I probably didn't give it enough time. I can see potential, but wasn't amazed right away.
If its anything like the amazement factor in Oblivion, it's more of a multilayered thing. You don't really encounter it until you've spent a few hours walking across the countryside, fending off random encounters but also stumbling across lost ruins, mines teaming with monsters, altars to weird, ancient gods, and other bits of plot flotsam scattered across the world. Of course, that'd be why I never actually finished the main campaign last time around. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

It looks great and if I was still single and not commuting 3 hours a day and taking classes I'd grab it in a heartbeat! :)

But alas, it's too much of a time sink for now. And I've already got one of those coming up soon.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'd feel the same way in that situation. Hell, even now I'm a little worried about getting sucked into it, but I've got some holiday downtime coming up and the ever-present threat of insomnia, so I think I'll be ok. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, I got it for my birthday, so of course I had to start playing it! Lol!! I was right, ita a huge time-sink so far. It's enjoyable enough. But there's so damn much to see and do!
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Well, I got it for my birthday, so of course I had to start playing it! Lol!! I was right, ita a huge time-sink so far. It's enjoyable enough. But there's so damn much to see and do!
Yes, yes there is. :) I woke up at 5 this morning and instead of going back to bed, I came downstairs and played the game for 3.5 hours solid while everyone else slept (I suspect this is the only way I'm going to get anywhere in the game...) I managed to get through the opening campaign bits, and am now intent on venturing out into the wilds of Skyrim looking for ruins...
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm still in the "no" camp on this one. I had enough of this style of game at the end of Fallout 3. So much so that I've only played an hour or so of New Vegas to date, with no ambition to play more. I even played a little oblivion a few months back, but by the time I made it out of the ruins I had enough.

I think I've just had way too much fun with more action based games this year. RPG's just don't give me the same thrill they used to. That said, I'm still really interested in Skyrim from everything I've been hearing about it... so I'm focusing all that into finally beating Dragon Age 2 ;)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I felt the opposite way after playing Dragon Age. Don't get me wrong -- I played the hell out of that game, and enjoyed it a lot -- but after Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, I'm ready for some wide open exploration. It helps that I haven't played Oblivion or Fallout 3 in years (what with my Fallout 3 game having developed a fatal load bug, apparently because I killed someone I shouldn't have earlier in the game).
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I've talked extensively about this with Mike. He's a big Fallout fan, and has played every Elder Scrolls game to date. He loves the open world stuff too. However for me, these games are TOO open. I end up like a deer in headlights. Mainly because I'm a completionist and like playing every quest that gets thrown in front of me.

I also really like having a party. If it weren't for the characters in Dragon Age, I never would have beaten them. Hell, I wish I could take more of them with me! I really like Sebastian (the exiled prince) and Verric (the shaved dwarf with a named crossbow) in DA2, but I don't really need two archers.

Although as I type this it occurs to me I could conceivably make Sebastian a dual wielder...
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably going to love me some Skyrim eventually. I just wasn't as amazed as I thought I'd be after hearing so much about it. I'm sure if I actually put the time in, I would have a blast with it.

Although, in the grand scheme of things, I think right now I fall in Cory's camp on this, as part of my anxiety in the beginning of Skyrim was the constantly feeling like I was missing something and having to look under every pot and barrel - and there are so many of them it gets to be a bit overwhelming.

A la this PA comic: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/14
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Kindle and e-reader file containing contents of every book in Skyrim:
http://capane.us/2011/11/24/dovahkiin-gutenberg/

The internet FTW!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Skyrim : 2500 Cheese wheels rolling off a mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCrhDamN82k
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Since I got the game for Christmas I'm now in the hell yeah camp. I see what everyone was talking about. (Helped that Mike, who got me the game, talked me into playing New Vegas for a few weeks prior).

I've been having a blast with the game with what time I've snuck in over the weekend. Then last night I fell in love with the game. I was traveling up to meet up with my fellow legionaries when the music changed. As I frantically looked around I heard the ominous noise. It was a dragon. I haven't fought these one outside a scripted event yet, so I was pretty excited (also pretty fearful).

Now I'm a sword and board warrior, but from a previous fight I knew hand to hand wasn't a good idea. So I was shooting him feebly with my bow. We went back and forth, me hitting him here and there, him breathing on me. Then he took off, and circled off in the distance. He kept circling there, and I realized he was fighting something else. Then he moved further out and I saw him attacking something on a mountain. Then he was gone.

That's right! He got bored fighting me and went to fight something else! So freaking cool!!!

(Also, I'm playing it 3rd person view which makes me a lot happier than first person.)