Skyrim

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

Re: Skyrim

Post by erilar »

The crazy random crap that happens when the dragons attack are perhaps my favorite parts of the game.

One time (no, not at band camp), I was sneaking onto an island mansion/compound for a thieves guild quest. It was like 3am and I was in shallow water under this bridge, with guards lurking all about above me, and I'm trying to figure out a good ingress. Then suddenly, with a huge roar, Smaug swoops in and starts fucking shit up in Laketown. Distraction accomplished. It was amazing.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

And it doesn't hurt one bit that these are IMHO the best dragons (both looking and acting) I've seen in a game to date!

Hope I get to play more soon! *Damn you busy Christmas week!!*
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I just did the same quest, but wasn't so lucky to have a dragon do a flyover. :(

I did lose a horse to a random attack because the damn thing decided to go hoof-to-claw with the dragon and took a breath weapon to the face. I killed the dragon but not before my (very frakking expensive) horse died. There's now a hot springs in which a dragon skeleton lies over the rotting corpse of a horse. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:And it doesn't hurt one bit that these are IMHO the best dragons (both looking and acting) I've seen in a game to date!
I agree completely!
NukeHavoc wrote: I did lose a horse to a random attack because the damn thing decided to go hoof-to-claw with the dragon and took a breath weapon to the face.
My horse attacked the dragon every damn time one landed. This seems to be a serious flaw in realistic horse AI, amirite?

Horses are kind of a pain anyway. Every 152 ft, you get attacked by a wolf or bandit anyway, and it takes about 45 seconds to get off your horse in this game. No wonder Bethesda made them so tough...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I had a horse once like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

FYI ... if you jump off a cliff while riding a horse, the horse will die, but there's an excellent chance you won't. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I started a new character the other night. I wasn't super happy with my sword and board approach, and wanted to see what two weapon fighting was like. So I once I finished the opening I decided instead of following the standard quests I'd just go exploring. So I picked a direction and went.

Found a small town, and did a few quests. One of the quests lead me to a really tough fight (The first time I tried the fight I was killed before I could return any damage!). Now, I'm only level two, but I looted a bunch of stuff on the way over (found a bandit house), so I figured let me try again and see what I can do with all these potions. Though I had to heal after every 3-4 hits, I was able to win.

Then to my surprise I'm gifted with a deadric artifact! At level 2!! So needless to say I'm having a blast with my new character... especially since I really like two weapon fighting.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So I have a follower, Lydia. She was assigned to me after I became a tharl. But I've found several more followers who I can hire. Are you allowed to have more than one? Are there any benefits to one over another?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:So I have a follower, Lydia. She was assigned to me after I became a tharl. But I've found several more followers who I can hire. Are you allowed to have more than one? Are there any benefits to one over another?
You can only have one. I have Lydia as well right now, and she's proven to be an excellent arrow catcher (I've lost track of the number of times she's charged into combat and I've inadvertently killed her with a sneak attack arrow to the back).

I haven't tried the other companions, but I think it's a question of skills. The elf bowman you meet in Riverrun (one of the early towns) is good, and is better at hanging back and pelting enemies with arrows. I'd like to find a wizard training in healing. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Note that swordthanes like Lydia will stay with you. Once you buy the house in Whiterun, she will live there if you take another companion. I found a hawt sneaky werewolf archer babe, so she was a no-brainer... :D
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Good to know.

I'm still working on saving up enough gold to buy a house. I'm on my my third horse ... so I think it's probably about time I stopped buying horses. The damn things just get eaten by dragons or cave bears or what have you anyway... :)

I'm about to invade Whiterun with the Stormcloaks. Maybe they'll give me a house as a reward. >:)
erilar

Post by erilar »

The Stormcloaks can kiss my elvish arse - dirty racist jerks... :evil:
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hey hey! I'm a thane of Whiterun!! I'll kick your tuckus if you mess up my house!!! :)

I'm staying neutral in the Stormcloak war, for now. I'm not really sure who to support.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, in Skyrim news, I've reached level 11, killed my first scripted dragon and my first random dragon, become Thane of Whiterun, bought a house, and got my housecarl killed. Note, when tackling giants and their mammoths on the open range, housecarls do not work as the best hunter pets - I was kiting the hell out of that giant, but she ran in there with her sword and board and got destroyed. In the end though, not only did I kill a giant and two mammoths, but I was given the consolation of being to loot all the superior crafter items I had made for her from Lydia's body as well (yes, really that dead, not the "dead" but gets up after the combat dead). Gotta say, having a much better time with Skyrim than at first, and I haven't really made it that far along in the story. Just really exploring this first zone to its fullest. :)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

The random stuff that happens out amongst all the fauna is one of my favorite things about that game. :)